Edgehill electrified flyover, wavertree technology park

Home_Signal

• 7 months later...

Fine with me.

If anybody reading this has images of the flyover bridge it would be appreciated by those of us following this thread.

I'm also looking for any images of the Gridiron and in particular the bridge that used to cross Rathbone Road and or the Coal Yard including the entrance all of which have now disappeared.

Ok.

Im trying to build up a picture of what the area looked like, from what I can tell the track was at different levels depending on where it was, the highest of which was the Gridiron bridge, Ive marked that on the map with a light green colour.

The next was the level that included Viaduct junction and the circular goods line, Ive marked it in red, the next level down was the shed level, which was only slightly higher than ground level which is orange, ground level being blue.

If you look at this picture I am correct so far?

56_edgehillAerial_1%20-%20Copy_zpslmxazt

• Like 1

Been looking over that map all day nw, together with the pictures Ive got a good idea where I need to go now...

In Speakland road goods, what is it for... I mean what did they used to do in that building?
As far as I can tell its just a sidings with a building over the top of it... what was it like when you went inside was it just ballast and track or what and what were the others like?

It was a parcels depot, the tracks were arranged parallel with conveyers and roadways for road traffic - the ubiquitous Scammel Scarab - in between. It came up on here within the last year in a topic on, I think, BRS depots, but I couldn't find it. Perhaps Michael Delamar could help on this one?

Last time I went past, which was August last year, the 'skeleton' was still standing but the panels between had gone.

• 2 weeks later...

Been looking over that map all day nw, together with the pictures Ive got a good idea where I need to go now...

In Speakland road goods, what is it for... I mean what did they used to do in that building?

As far as I can tell its just a sidings with a building over the top of it... what was it like when you went inside was it just ballast and track or what and what were the others like?

Track inside the shed was mostly set in concrete. Last used in the early 1990s for wagon repairs, loading concrete troughing for Merseyrail resignalling, and the occasional ferryvan of potatoes off the train ferry.

Electric traction on the Circular route was rare, and even worse on the Gridiron itself. In the late 1960's there was a Freightliner train most weekday nights about 2330hrs which used to emerge from the tunnel under the Gridiron heading south at relatively high speed given the sharp radius of the route. The resultant high pitch whistle sparked several stories in the Liverpool Echo about UFO's until I wrote in to splil the beans. Apart from the occasional boat train heading for Riverside Station at Princess Dock there were no passenger services along the route, although I also remember seeing on a couple of occasions class 503's in between barrier wagons being transferred from the Merseyrail network for repairs.  

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
Thanks for putting this map up, it puts every thing in place for me, I used to travel on train from Huyton to Liverpool. In the late sixties and could never work out where the loco sheds where, that was because it was higher up than the line I was on. Apart from that this has been a bit of a blast from the past, thank you guys.

post-26696-0-27332900-1438446835.jpg

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

what a brilliant video, going back a few miles on it its worth watching to see crewe during remodelling, i can only really remember crewe station as it is now, amazing to see everything have to slow to 20mph to go through the station, and a 33 in the bay heading towards the north wales coast too

(sorry for the thread divert!)

• Like 1

Thats how I remember most of it even today.
When I look at Lime street I can still see parcel vans on siding E next to platform 7 being loaded up with little tractors and platforms 1-6 with a clear view of the concourse.

It is amazing to see just how much has changed over the years though, especially Edge hill, the viaduct infront of the engine shed for instance.