New Farish Class 55

Crepello

Parp! Vroom!!........could not put it any better myself!!! The King of the diesels!!! Looks Great!!!Personally i will pass on the initial releases as i prefer The Deltics with domino & plated over Headcodes!!!!!!! Cant wait!!! ;o)

I queried Bachmann on the initial Blue release some time ago; they said the image in the catalogue was a mistake & it would have a plated over headcode box.

• 2 weeks later...

I've not taken the 2mm pill, but having seen this it could persuade me https://www.model-railways-live.co.uk/News/Engineering_prototype_on_show_of_new_Farish_Deltic/?utm_source=Communicator&utm_medium=Email&utm_content=SubPanel3ImageLink&utm_campaign=Amazing+layouts+at+the+National+Festival+of+Railway+Modelling+2012&_ccCt=NzPeWEkr0rudM8BYqaQigzR5EB92jYxewROggISCHj62QnN8iges6c~gqpRqXqVn

It looks quite good... hopefully we'll see more soon and be able to judge better. If they can sort this one, maybe they could then sort the 4mm one too

Jon

Repeat out loud and often - I don't need one, I don't need one, I don't need one...........

Oh rats! Pinza in green with no yellow panel. I want one (I don't need one) I want one (poor wallet) I want one........

I know it's weakness, but the weakness is so strong!

Les

I remember as a teeneger listening out in the early (ish) hours of the morning to see if I could work out what time it was. The ECML ran about 2 miles from the house and at a higher level (this was Darlington where we lived on the Western outskirts)

You could tell 6.15 am because you could follow a Deltic Southbound along the ECML. Shortly after that you could follow the first bus on Service 3 as it came out from town, up to Faverdale terminus then back via Bates Avenue and Newton Lane to Cockerton. Daimler Roadliners were definitely in the same league as far as noise, a Deltic at 2-3 miles and a Roadliner at over a mile when all else was quiet.

As for running a Deltic round the Durham Coast- there are pictures of them in green at West Hartlepool (and at South Shields), though Pinza was the one I saw second-most frequently at Darlington- after St Paddy which turned up so often many of us were heartily sick of the sight of it...

All the best

Les

• RMweb Premium

Parp! Vroom indeed!! This looks rather tasty. Just as well I don't model in N otherwise it could get expensive...

Surely you can find a picture of one diverted over the Coast Line? Parp! Vroom!

Definitely seen pictures of them on the old main line at Penshaw. Will have a browse to see if I've anything on the coast line.

I remember as a teeneger listening out in the early (ish) hours of the morning to see if I could work out what time it was.

I have similar memories from staying at my grandparents house at Barley Mow twixt Birtley and Chester-le-Street. In those days you could see across to the ECML from their house and you could hear the trains. On a still cold night the sound of the Deltics just hung in the air for ages. Parp! Vroommmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Ralph

Lambton58

• RMweb Premium

Yep. Deltics went to the seaside! Found a few pictures last night. Some were diversions which may I guess have gone over the Leamside route, but also some on regular services:

• 9005 The Prince of Wales's Own Regiment of Yorkshire on Newcastle & Sunderland to King's Cross services at Sunderland in 1964 & at Ryhope East in 1972
  • 55016 Gordon Highlander at Ryhope Grange in 1978 on a Brian Mills Depot (where's that??) to Sheffield parcels train
  • D9008 The Green Howards at Harton Junction in 1963 on the Newcastle to King's Cross via the coast.

So, no excuse not to have one then :imsohappy: :yes:

Parp! Vroom!!

Ralph

Lambton58

Some great nostalgia here - I was lucky enough to live next to the ECML near Welwyn in the last few years of the Deltics (albeit out of sight from my house) and you always heard Deltics many minutes before they came past, especially if the wind was blowing in the right direction - and they really used to rattle the windows as they passed even though we lived a good few hundred yards from the line.

I'm therefore really hoping that Farish make a great job of this because if they do I will be buying several - perhaps not quite 22, but certainly not far off double figures - and re-living those memories in miniature will be just great!

Now if we could also have onboard sound that makes the windows rattle.......!!!

That bit is easy- sound chip wired to the track and a thumping great pair of speakers under the board.....

All the very best

Les

Now that IS a good idea! What would be needed to do that? I'm assuming you cant just wire up the two tiny speaker wires from a DCC chip to a whopping great speaker - or can you?!

Not sure of the exact electronickery needed but I'd have thought that you could easily take the two speaker output wires, run them through some sort of amplifier and into epic speakers.

I know when I've been playing a rail DVD through the computer and cranked my surround sound speakers up it's been impressive.

Try this one...

• RMweb Premium

That bit is easy- sound chip wired to the track and a thumping great pair of speakers under the board.....

...and a suitable smoke generator! Run that lot an exhibition and watch the effect on those on the neighbouring stands :crazy:

Ralph

Lambton58

• RMweb Premium

I'd like a white-cabbed, blue racehorse.

Who wouldn't, but Bachmann only did special editions in OO for the DPS, not one for the general market. I've already suggested one to Modelzone but never got a reply. It would of course require tooling mods. Incidentally, the DPS have never got into N-gauge models. I would have thought that a limited edition of 512 (if that's the figure) would have wide appeal, especially if decent air-conditioned mark 2 coaches become available.

They'll already have a body with plated headcode boxes for 55005 and I believe that model will also require plated quarter lights. What other mods are needed for a Finsbury Park white-cab?

If you've got a plated headcode panel then the quarterlights should already be plated over; Doncaster did the cab windows but only did the headcode panel the perspex was damaged; Tulyar came back from Donny in 1978(?) with plated cab windows but retained a domino headcode panel... so Finsbury park did it instead. You can see the difference because FP bolted a panel over the original - or riveted it - you can see the rivets all the way around whereas Donny welded a panel on flush - no rivet heads.

Other mods - nowt FP specific but the locos were all quite different at that stage - single or double wipers, cab ventilator (punka louvre), headcode (as stated) two stds of roof centre section and cab horn bolts on the last 3.... and of course the fire pull handle at the no.1 end at the same location as on the no.2 end on Pinza. I've missed some... i'm sure. But there's nothing specifically "FP"... you just need to choose the loco to model.

HTH

Jon

D9000 would really need to have the different front step ... it's the one thing that sets this apart from all of the others. Oh, apart from 21's different lamp bracket shape. Should be doable as a small plate on the front. But if "as now" the high intensity lights need adding. As for schemes, there were a number in the "York" scheme, and now the arguements about whether the grills were grey or silver (tanks I think were always silver) can commence.

Archived