New Farish Class 55

Crepello

If you're referring to the tanks or grills... then you'll need to check which one you mean. One (er can't recall which one) had a Post Office special livery similar to 22's your livery but even more flamboyant. There's some debate as to the exact colour of these - all silver, or parts only light grey....... but no, not white on 22. Nose-end handrails were white though. Cab surrounds on FP blue ones were white from mid 79 until they began to move to York. Cab surrounds on green ones were grey.

D9000 would really need to have the different front step ... it's the one thing that sets this apart from all of the others... Should be doable as a small plate on the front. But if "as now" the high intensity lights need adding...

Thanks for the info - I appreciate the 'enlightenment'. An image search highlighted the difference in the front step on D9000, once I knew what to look for, and I see now that the engineering sample doesn't have the high intensity light... cheers.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Samples were in the display case at the Warley show, looking to pretty much...well, parp vroom! Picture on Andy's news thread here.

Edit: couldn't resist doing a quick colouring job on Andy's photo to show the model in a more familiar guise:

post-6813-0-46278000-1354747551_thumb.jpg

post-6813-0-06975100-1354467897_thumb.jpg

Edited to add FP white cab.

I've got to be honest... I think these look absolutely superb. First of all... superb colouring job there Simon... and I think I've just found myself being pulled back to the 2mm side. Hmmm a pair of these, two rakes of suitable stock and a layout based on "the tunnels" that I knew so well as a youngster. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Jon. They really have got the shape right, haven't they? After all the nearly-but-not-quite Class 55 models we've seen over the years I was pretty much resigned to it's never happening. And now it has for the first time and in N: hat duly donned and doffed to Mr Bachfar.

• RMweb Gold

It does look very tempting. I've already built a blue/grey 4-car Class 312 an should have finished samples of N-Train's 313 ready early next year. Dapol are also showing the blue/grey HST with ER numbers due for a December release :)

We just need Farish to do the 101 in Refurbished White and the GN 1980 scene will be ready!

Now here's one loco i would love to have done, and it's one i will be buying at least 22 of (yes 22, so you can probably guess what i'm going to do with them in a couple of years :-)).

For a pre-production sample it's really good and the computerised colouring in is fantastic. :sungum:

However there are a few things missing form this version (plated headcode panel) that i would like ot see fixed for production models if its not to cost me a few bob to put right.

Firstly the emergency engine off / break glass panel should be almost flat with the side of the body. IFAIK the right hand side of the loco should have a panel on the side of the nose, and there are 2 air grilles missing from the either side of the rectangular bodyside grill (immediately above where the nameplate would go). I'm also not too sure about the cab fornt windows either.

However, this is a first EP and looks great already, and i know from my delicious Blue Pullman that Bachmann will more than likely be on the case for these changes ready to show the 2nd EP soon. (How the heck will i make an excuse to show them together? A nice problem to have i think :locomotive: )

Already a strong contender for N gauge diesel locomotive model of the year 2013 IMHO.

cheers

Dave

Simon,

Thanks for adding the white cab version.

These do look very good indeed and as Dave has pointed out - they are EP versions too!!! It seems that Farish have 'the bit firmly between their teeth' at the moment....

With locos of this standard goodness knows what will be next!!! :scratchhead:

Cheers

Lee

Already a strong contender for N gauge diesel locomotive model of the year 2013 IMHO.

You'd better get that Western out quick then, oh there is a Blue Pullman out this year.

It's actually going to be hard to call an N gauge model of the year the quality from Bachmann and Dapol is so good now and each have some cracking models either out or coming soon. I wouldn't want to be a judge.

Firstly the emergency engine off / break glass panel should be almost flat with the side of the body. IFAIK the right hand side of the loco should have a panel on the side of the nose, and there are 2 air grilles missing from the either side of the rectangular bodyside grill (immediately above where the nameplate would go). I'm also not too sure about the cab fornt windows either.

Dear Dave... the emergency engine fire pull does have a small metal surround so it's not quite flush, but yes, it would be a minimal moulding to show it properly; the panel on the nose is only at the No. 1 end (brake exhausters access panel)... and actually (apart from on Pinza) under this panel the fire pull is slightly further aft than at the no. 2 end.

Not sure which grills you're referring too. There are two battery cooler grills under the main air intake grill which went in in the mid 60s... so could be omitted for an-all green one... but I can't see anything missing - or am I being really daft? Windscreens... to be honest, its difficult from this pic to judge... but they don't look too bad (or have I been looking at my Bachmann ones too long :crazy: .

The fact that you're considering 22 of these puts you way up in my book (not that you weren't already of course with your drive to get us some good hydraulics)... but yes, I think there's still a market for a good one of these in OO.... that doesn't take the 13 months of work that it took me to do mine.

Would yours be blue or green Dave?

Jon

Hi John,

Cheers for the mail.

The emergency pull in real life stands 3. Something mm proud of the body shell side in real life from memory.

This pic taken in 1980 shows the right hand nose panel that I'm referring to and is probably the same one we are both referring to.

The 2 small air vents/grills are the ones above the nameplate, and I clearly need my eyes testing as they are on the model :-/

http://www.train-photos.com/picture/number636.asp

I'll need 22 as I want to have all the racehorses and regiments, Pinza and Alycidon and Ballymoss being must haves.

Some of the others will be in special 013 with silver grilles and tanks for instance and TKOYLI might have to be TTgreen.

I'll be modelling BR late blue period with a bit of Rule 1 thrown on for good measure as well as a 254 HST.

However it will be a depot, primarily about 12ft long of darn sarf of the ECML.

Cheers

Dave

• RMweb Premium

And the rest:

Not quite old chap - you've not (yet?) done the Porterbrook purple one... :jester:

Nice work there Simon! Caps definitely donned and doffed towards ye sir!

Parp! Vrroooom!!

Ralph

Lambton58

Dave, all sounds like a fleet worth modelling. I've a friend doing something similar in OO... he's almost as mad as me of course, detailing each one; I'll be happy with another one or three for my fleet in P4... we all have our favs... yes mainly the racehorses for me too... 20, 15, 7, 3.... and probably 1, 12 and 18 too. Odd how our favs are chose. Regiments were always harder to remember, but yes, 2, 13 and 22 are obvious ones to choose; especially with the colour options available. As I'm planning a depot in P4... the advantage of 2mm opens up other possibilities which I;ve yet to fully consider... but time and money would open numerous opportunities.

As for the fire pull... here's a shot of the same on a 40... photo'd for this exact reason as it's the same on the 55.

post-8351-0-22778900-1354378762_thumb.jpg

Hi John,

I missed the Westerns by only a few months, and got quickly bored with the class 50's ( hard to believe with today's lack of choice I know) but I remember being introduced to Ballymoss one day coming out of the tunnel into the Cross.

Love at first hearing it on the climb up.

Cheers

Dave

The problem with the 50s was that they sounded somewhere between a 37 and a 40 (when on full throttle not whistling of course) whereas the Deltic was so unique and came with decent names almost from the beginning. Perhaps the lack of namesplates until the late 70s also made the 50s more un-noticeable.

Still I need an excuse to buy a Deltic but I will definitely be buying at least one 50 for my layout.

• RMweb Premium

As for the fire pull... here's a shot of the same on a 40... photo'd for this exact reason as it's the same on the 55.

And clearly quite different from the model: a flat metal ring and not a moulding reminiscent of a lamp housing. Wonder if Farish will model the condensation?

Not quite old chap - you've not (yet?) done the Porterbrook purple one... :jester:

Breath, hold, don't, your.

• RMweb Premium

Breath, hold, don't, your.

Trying to - post dinner at John & Nicky's - much red wine - hiccups - perhaps the shock of the Porterbrook purple abomination might cure 'em!

Parp! Hic! Vrroomm!!!

Ralph

Lambton 58

• RMweb Premium

Oh, and as for colour variations, there were (er... quick check... yes) six variations of the small yellow panel. That should give someone something to ponder on ;)

Yes, why don't they do one without a yellow panel so modellers can add their...oh hang on. My vote for a special edition is D9000 as built with flashing headlight (removed when several people were injured after mistaking the loco for a bicycle) :D. Actually, I'd like a white cab and KOYLI as running in green FYE post December 1980 but I think Farish have probably been wise in their livery choices for the first batches.

• RMweb Premium

Yes, why don't they do one without a yellow panel so modellers can add their...oh hang on. My vote for a special edition is D9000 as built with flashing headlight (removed when several people were injured after mistaking the loco for a bicycle) :D. Actually, I'd like a white cab and KOYLI as running in green FYE post December 1980 but I think Farish have probably been wise in their livery choices for the first batches.

Do you reckon Farish will do further versions? A look at the OO Bachmann site isn't encouraging. I'm not sure there'll be any specials in N either as the financial risk may be too great. Maybe us RM Webbers could form a syndicate?

Parp! Wroooom!!!

Archived