New Farish Class 55

Crepello

• RMweb Gold

Got one one the way myself. No requirement for it really, even though they have ventured onto MHR metals on at least a couple of occasions, but everyone needs a Deltic in the collection, don't they?!

Tom. 

Got one one the way myself. No requirement for it really, even though they have ventured onto MHR metals on at least a couple of occasions, but everyone needs a Deltic in the collection, don't they?!

Tom. 

If not more Tom ;-)

I've not "handled" one yet, but I've got to be honest from what I have seem, they do really look "right".

Jon

• RMweb Gold

If not more Tom ;-)

I've not "handled" one yet, but I've got to be honest from what I have seem, they do really look "right".

Jon

Yahoo, just ordered one from 'Liverpool' tonight myself. Perhaps it will spur me into action with my 'N' gauge replacement for Glasburgh.

Got it running anyway and have a 26 and Class 121 In blue/grey running so far. Both were DCC fitted. Not looking forward to fitting the DCC chip to this though. Hope I don't damage anything. It does look superb. Hopefully get it on Saturday. Not that I am over excited or anything.....

Chris

• RMweb Premium

Received mine today!  Absolutely cracking models.

All fitted with short couplers and  run in on the rolling road.

Fitted 55005 with its ETH connection on the ends but cut the cable away first; the holes needed enlarging and some Humbrol poly did the trick. Was planning to cut off the top lamp brackets from D9007 but a last-minute check showed a shot of Pinza on the back cover of 'Diesels around London' with the said bracket and without a yellow panel!  Phew!

Mine arrived today! Couldn't wait to get it out of the box!! D9007 Pinza, introduced into service 22nd June 1961, which just happens to be my Birthday (albeit 17 years later!).

The overall model is absolutely cracking and well worth the wait, my only minor negative point is there are no etched nameplates, however a quick call to Brian at Shawplan will sort that out! I think I'll raise the bogies a touch just to reduce the gap between the body and bogies.

Anyway, here are some photos.

post-10222-0-22288800-1402080276_thumb.jpg

post-10222-0-24126000-1402080289_thumb.jpg

Best regards,

Jeremy

I had a good look at 55005 today, it is very nice, but after being unable to read the nameplate even with my reading glasses, decided it was best to leave N gauge well alone. Pity, they really are producing cracking N gauge items these days. 

• RMweb Gold

55005 A real treat and lovely runner body looks great, Body only clips on and blank plate for DCC on top and room for 6 pin chip.

Sound will be fun !!  No room in tanks - motor and weight in way but space off ends of PCB appx 10 mm long with a 7mm high and 8 mm wide cube availabe given shape of cab details. Cutting into cab area would give upto 15mm long. At the DCC plug end chassis is milled so depth of cutout is 9mm deep to peak of roof. So some room to be had.  If lighting removed from end a 10mm cube of space is available. I am sure PCB board with slight alteration could be shunted down chassis to provide plenty of space for biggest possible speaker to get the full Vroom affect!

Robert      

• RMweb Gold

Hi Robert,

Colin Allbright suggested to me that fitting a sound unit should be possible if the fairings for the roof fans are removed from the inside of the roof.  I meant to mention this in my review for Model Rail; apologies if I forgot, or it was sub-edited out!

Deltics are easily my favourite of the "heritage" diesels I remember from my childhood (having never seen the Westerns before withdrawal) so I am really glad they've got this one right - it's a superb model.

cheers

Ben A.

Afternoon all,

Those who know me will know that the Deltics are by no means high up my list of favourite locos. However on the way to the NGS AGM this morning I was saying in the car that if I saw a good deal in the future I'd get one, as Farish have done such a good job.

Imagine my surprise to find on the Bachmann stand today, a brand new 'returns' Deltic for 50 quid! Couldn't resist that. It matches up to the reviews well, in fact I think it's even better in the flesh, errrr plastic. Very nice indeed, in time I think it'll get renumbered to D9009 to do a current mainline registered machine. Only thing for me is the etched fan grills, I'm firmly in the camp that well moulded detail ( Farish 47, 37 fans, Farish 66 handrails spring to mind) looks better than an over scale separate part, though the Deltic is an improvement over the Farish 20 for sure. I still don't get this parp vroom stuff though!

jo

I am sure your comment on the roof grills & speaker space were posted somewhere Ben.

Makes you wonder why this wasn't 'designed into' the beast though to be honest.

Re Parp.Parp, Vroom ewsjo. Get yourself down a station and watch one depart. The horn parp parps, and then you get the vrooooooom, Beautiful.

Scott

• RMweb Premium

Deltics are easily my favourite of the "heritage" diesels I remember from my childhood ...

...that sinister qualifier perhaps suggesting that you might prefer 66s or some such :O

Those who know me will know that the Deltics are by no means high up my list of favourite locos. .... I still don't get this parp vroom stuff though!

jo

Dear God, there are some benighted souls on this forum.  I shall light a candle for each of you at the Shrine of St Paddy. :angel:

Parp vroom.

Sorry fellas, still not getting this thing with the Deltic sound. Yeah they're loud, but it's just a drone!

Give me some Maybach music or an EE lump any day. Loud and exciting, definitely no droning! :blum:

It's only natural being brought up so close to Swindon :sungum:

jo

Hello all
I'm new here (first post) I just wanted to share that I've bought this fantastic loco today, I went for D9002 and although I think it's an amazing model, I have a problem with it and I wonder if anyone here could offer an opinion on what's wrong with it? Straight out of the box it works perfectly in one direction, smooth and quiet but in reverse there is a regular loud clicking / thudding sound.

I've taken a video to show the issue:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJiB-NvSZtY

I'm going to get in touch with the retailer to get a refund or replacement if they've got any more in stock, I'm just interested in finding out what the problem is as I've never encountered anything like this before and it'd be helpful if I could explain better to customer service what the issue is.

If you have been, thanks for reading :)

Thank you Velopeur & Roy L S. Up until now I had never encountered a split gear or heard of it before but then again it's not like I have a huge collection. I've read up about it over at http://www.ngaugesociety.com/index.php?page=split-gears and I have to say I'm slightly worried to find after further reading that it's quite a wide spread problem that's been known about for years and Farish have yet to resolve it :(

I'm fortunate in that the Deltic was a new purchase and I've sent it back to the shop to be exchanged for a fully tested model but what about if it happens out of warranty? Would it be classed as general wear and tear or is it a manufacturing fault? I'm now nervous that it will happen to more of my collection, these are expensive models that I expect to get years of light use out of without fault.

Sorry to be negative or a little off topic, I just wish I was still blissfully ignorant of the split gear issue :)

Archived