Model Rail No. 175 November 2012

dibber25

• RMweb Premium

Some interesting comments re. subs copies. Having bought the last 172 issues from a shop, I've subscribed to MR from the November issue. I was told it should be delivered by the 4th October. Hasn't arrived yet, but, hey, the post is the post. I'll only start to get annoyed when it hasn't arrived but there are copies at the newsagents.

Jeff

Got my issue today. I spent alot of time looking at the front cover thinking 'i thought Bachmann's Blue Pullman would look better than that' only to eventually find that the one on the front cover isn't the Bachmann variety. I wonder if anyone else did the same.

Tom

Got my issue today. I spent alot of time looking at the front cover thinking 'i thought Bachmann's Blue Pullman would look better than that' only to eventually find that the one on the front cover isn't the Bachmann variety. I wonder if anyone else did the same.

Tom

I would have thought that the colour would be a dead giveaway.

Or is the printing that far out?

On the plus side I did like the K1 article.

Bernard

My subscription copy hasn't arrived it would usually come on the monday so I phoned the subscription line and the nice chap said I could either go out and buy a copy and they would extend my subscription or he would post another one which I opted for. I would suggest everyone who has a missing issue phone if alot are missing it could indicate a problem somewhere which would be flagged up.

mark

• RMweb Gold

Picked up my copy is Smiffs yesterday and have to say I'm very pleased with the way Highbury has been portrayed. Just a couple of points; firstly, apologies for the dodgy photo of me - Kim says I look like Gioseppi from Pinnochio! Secondly, and more importantly, the dimensions on the track plan are a little misleading - probably my fault. The layout is indeed just shy of nine feet long but that is the total including both fiddle yards. The scenic section is around half that at 4'6".

We are off to Bedford ready to take Tucking Mill to the 2mm AGM tomorrow - I shall be taking my copy with me to read in the hotel.

Jerry

I did not view the fact that it is DCC-only as being a point 'against' it. Quite the reverse, in fact. I suspect there will come a time when all locomotives come with DCC on-board. I suspect that for most modellers the advantages outweigh the disadvantage that it can't be used on layouts with electronic track cleaners.

It is not just the disadvantage of electronic track cleaners (I don't use one anyway). Rather it is the cost. I have a perfectly good Gaugemaster controller. I do not want to have pay a premium for all my locos AND have to buy a new controller.

I prefer that DCC be left to the discretion of the modeller rather than forcing everyone to pay extra for a chip they may not want. Even those who use DCC may prefer a chip of their own choice rather than the one the manufacturer fits.

Looks like a good number of mags have not arrived for those on subsciptions.

I would think the editor/distributer should be looking into why this is happening. This is at least the 3rd time mine has gone missing in the last 3 years, hardly a good record !

• RMweb Gold

It is not just the disadvantage of electronic track cleaners (I don't use one anyway). Rather it is the cost. I have a perfectly good Gaugemaster controller. I do not want to have pay a premium for all my locos AND have to buy a new controller.

I prefer that DCC be left to the discretion of the modeller rather than forcing everyone to pay extra for a chip they may not want. Even those who use DCC may prefer a chip of their own choice rather than the one the manufacturer fits.

I doubt the cost of having a chip on board makes much difference to the price. I would imagine that the sort of numbers Bachmann will be buying in we are talking pence. I would tend to agree with Chris on this, if you don't want the chip in, take it out. Its no different to what DCC users have had to do up to now, albeit in reverse.

Jerry

• RMweb Gold

Picked up my copy is Smiffs yesterday and have to say I'm very pleased with the way Highbury has been portrayed. Just a couple of points; firstly, apologies for the dodgy photo of me - Kim says I look like Gioseppi from Pinnochio! Secondly, and more importantly, the dimensions on the track plan are a little misleading - probably my fault. The layout is indeed just shy of nine feet long but that is the total including both fiddle yards. The scenic section is around half that at 4'6".

We are off to Bedford ready to take Tucking Mill to the 2mm AGM tomorrow - I shall be taking my copy with me to read in the hotel.

Jerry

It's a good read Jerry - well written I thought and very readable :)

Mine has not arrived either. When I rang them, Model Rail (Bauer) claimed that they had sent it out on the 29th. They were very nice about it and said that they would send out another to-day no problem.

I did point out that a few people had similar problems and had reported them here on this forum, but they claimed to be unaware

of any 'general' problems.

Don't bother sending an e-mail, use the phone the message will soon get accross that a good number of mags have not been rec'd.

I always point out when i ring that the mag usually arrives on the Monday or Tuesday at the latest and have never been asked to wait 5 days from the publication date.

Seems a batch have gone missing ?

• RMweb Premium

I don't like to moan, but one of the reasons I took out a subscription was in order to get the copy before it hit the shops. Yes, the price was very good, too. But the latter doesn't help if I end up buying copies to supplement those that have gone missing. So - my first subscription copy hasn't arrived. I gather it's in the shops now. Not a very impressive start from Bauer.

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

Mine gone AWOL too... Was being patient but realise prob more widespread. Will call tomorrow.

It does seem as though a few RMWeber have experienced a delay with the delivery of their sub copy this month as I too will now be making a 'phone call.

We ran our test sample with a Gaugemaster controller. It ran fine with the DCC decoders still in it. I doubt that ditching the decoders would make any difference to the RRP of this model.

CHRIS LEIGH

• RMweb Premium

Tom

The front cover, according to MR editorial, p.3, is a Chris Nevard photo of a kit built BP working on Julian Birley's 0 gauge layout Evercreech New.

Hope you all enjoy the read when your copy turns up. Mine turned up Monday.

:read:

I've noticed the number of separate subs non-deliveries mentioned on here. I apologise on behalf of Great Magazines for the disappointment caused.

Whilst editorial can't DIRECTLY resolve these things, we will certainly be looking into this, to find out why there are so many problems this month. Unfortunately, we won't be able to start this particular ball rolling until Wednesday but please be assured it will be receiving attention. In the meantime please do get on to the subscriptions number - 0844 848 8872 - if you haven't already done so. They need to supply replacement magazines or extend your subscription by a month. They also need to be aware that there are unhappy customers, and I doubt that any of them read RMweb.

CHRIS LEIGH

Archived