Kernow Models D6xx Update

Andy Y

Whilst I'm fascinated by all these insights into the good and bad of the original Warship 'successors' (pun definitely intended!), I keep having my hopes and expectations raised by seeing new posts in this thread about the forthcoming Kernow D600's, one of which I'm waiting for!

I suppose this just reflects some people's experiences of the real things, though!

Richard

...Had EE built the class 50's as rebodied DP2's without all the trimmings, I reckon they would have been a decent fleet of loco's from the start.

That was Dick Hardy's opinion, and he was in a position to know. Unfortunately - as I read it - the leasing organisation's technical bods at Derby were the party which wanted all the troublesome electronic bells and whistles added, EE were all for building a production DP2: but, as ever the customer is always right.

It's because we like Hydraulics so much Richard....!

D10xx + D8xx + D6xx + D63xx = D7xxx + D95xx = :wub:

I know that, and they're my favourites too!  I've got a collection of them even though I'm trying to model Kent Coast east of Faversham in the late 1950s and early 1960s.

But isn't there an area within RM Web for prototype discussion?  A place for everything, and everything in its place!

(And BR only sent the 50s to the Western Region because they knew they'd be turned into good locos there!)  Long live Swindon, Laira, Newton Abbot and all the other great sheds whose plates started with an 8!)

Richard

That was Dick Hardy's opinion, and he was in a position to know. Unfortunately - as I read it - the leasing organisation's technical bods at Derby were the party which wanted all the troublesome electronic bells and whistles added, EE were all for building a production DP2: but, as ever the customer is always right.

EE did build a production DP2, they sold them to Portugal.

Incidentally, did anyone manage to pick up 'Book Of The Warships' for £15 at Warley...? I noticed a few copies on sale at this knocked down price - a bargain!

I picked one up at Warley - excellent value and a great read - but it hasn't helped to convince me that Warships are in any way aesthetically pleasing, not that it bothers me as I have a D6XX on order, and it will be fine as a "Cinderella" and "Ugly Sister" at the same time.

Edited by cary hill
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

EE tried to be clever by stuffing the 50's full of solid state electronics which was still in its infancy. Brush gave up with the Hawk project because things got too expensive to keep blowing up, the class 74's were also abysmal in terms of reliability because of solid state control equipment between the genny and traction motors.

Had EE built the class 50's as rebodied DP2's without all the trimmings, I reckon they would have been a decent fleet of loco's from the start.

The refurbished ones seemed pretty handy to me, had some excellent trips and 50,017 seemed to be the best to me

• RMweb Premium

Funny really I like so many different types of loco, only thing 99% of them have in common is country of manufacture.

I like a certain 10 coupled freight steam loco, a particular 4-6-0 passenger loco with visible front bogie wheels, most products of EE, lots of the pilot Diesels. And much more.

At least I chose a Deltic which visited the South West and a real one stormed up the bank at Exeter

The refurbished ones seemed pretty handy to me, had some excellent trips and 50,017 seemed to be the best to me

Once they removed a lot of the unnecessary gubbins, they were pretty good. I was behind 50 050 when she tipped her sump all over the track and shut down at 90 MPH. Great thrash one moment, then coasting to a silent stop in the dark, the next.

Edited by Baby Deltic

• RMweb Premium

... and one of the worst to me. Overall I suspect they were pretty much the same in terms of reliability, our perception depends on our own trips behind each loco.

• RMweb Premium

Or at least cleaned up ;)

The Kernow newsletter returns tomorrow after its Warley break.  Wonder if we'll be any the wiser as to the progress of these locos when it's posted.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

There was an update in the newsletter late last year.  It showed cab sections and stated work was progressing on the body sides and frames.   There has been no news since however Kernow has always kept us up to date when there is news and the locos are in the pipeline so we can assume there simply is nothing new to hear.

The parting of commercial ways between KMRC and Dapol may or may not have had any effect on the timing and delivery of the project.

Sign up for their newsletter.  It costs you nothing but a few moments of time, arrives free of charge in your inbox almost every Saturday morning, you get to hear what's going on and get first shout at some bargains as well.

http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/index.html?action=22

Edited by Gwiwer

• RMweb Gold

Almost certainly the failure of the Warship I'm sorry to say.

P

I once witnessed the exasperated driver of a horribly late-running up train baling out of the cab of a very hot-smelling D600 ("Active") at Exeter St Davids uttering the words "most mis-named bl**dy loco I've ever driven!" 

John

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

I find the lack of information from Kernow about the D6xx model very dissapointing. :cry:

Keith.

What "lack of information"? The development process involving China, as is well-recorded and discussed on these pages, takes as long as it takes. Kernow are always keen to keep us advised, but no news is no news. Of course they'd prefer to be selling the models right now - it's called cash-flow - but we'll hear anything when it happens.