Kernow Models D6xx Update

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium

And as we have said here before there is no surviving D600 to scan which has made the project very much harder and time consuming from the outset.  I sense they are getting significantly closer to production now.

• RMweb Premium

I had a chat with a guy from Kernow at Expo EM in Bracknell. He confirmed that there is a rather nice gauge 1 600 body "...sat in the bosses office..." 

I'm as keen as anyone else but we've just got to be patient and let Kernow get on with it. 

And as we have said here before there is no surviving D600 to scan which has made the project very much harder and time consuming from the outset.  I sense they are getting significantly closer to production now.

With no surviving example and probably few, if any, original drawings, this project was always going to be extremely difficult. There have been similar problems with the Dapol proposed North British Class 21/29 model and that was suspended indefinitely at one stage. In that case it was only the finding of some original drawings by Strathyre from this forum that enabled the 21/29 project to restart. I've read recently that in addition to the provided drawings, Dapol are also using the Fred Phipps master of his Class 29 model to produce CAD plans and that model was already completed. I don't know how long Fred Phipps has been involved in this project, but I read that after he completed the masters and kit parts for his last Gauge 1 project, A BR Mark 1 SK, he took a break from commercial model making, so that may have had an impact on this project's timescale.

I'm content to 'keep the faith' as I'm convinced the model will be the best that can be achieved, and outside of Kernow's commitment, it is unlikely another manufacturer would venture into trying to produce such a model with such limited prototype information. As BOB250 has said, I don't know when I'll see the Bulleid diesel, so I'll need to dust down my Silver Fox 10203, it's already had one chassis replacement!!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Appears to be the 1/32 scale master model, being produced by Fred Phipps for Kernow, as a joint project. Fred was producing the kit for the 1/32 scale market, and Kernow needed a master model from the drawings they had obtained. They were awaiting the chassis components at their last update, which seem to now be in place. I'm assuming the model will now move to scanning/CAD artwork stage to convert it to 'oo' gauge. This is a model that does not have a production contract in place yet (with the Bulleid diesels), but I'm assuming Kernow will negotiate with DJ Models, as they have for the other rtr projects.

Just received this weeks Kernow newsletter and their is an update on the D600 project. The photos posted on Facebook show the master model being packed in Cambourne; unpacked in Hong Kong; and as a completed model in Hong Kong. The model is in Hong Kong for CAD design work, so is more advanced than I thought in the previous post. There is nothing stated about whether Kernow are using DJ Models, or working direct with the designers in HK. It is however a big step forward. Well done Kernow.

Edit. Interesting, just noticed this thread is no longer linked to Kernow Models via the shops link, but is linked to the DJ Models threads, does that indicate the source of production, although no statement yet from Kernow.

Edited by rembrow
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Nice to see these models coming together. Will the models have etched nameplates? I would probably get a green HYP/Split headcode one if I can easily rename it to another loco. My preferred option for Bulldog is a chromatic blue version.

Edited by Grasslands

The CADs do look very promising, except for my usual gripe about the total lack of consideration for close coupling, although on this model there looks to be plenty of room to fit a Symoba or even a Fleischmann close coupling unit under the nose.

By the way, were the nose doors ever really used?

• 2 weeks later...

I've just been peering at some photos of the real thing which reminded me of a niggling feeling that I had regarding the above CAD renders.

The fan openings should be offset from the centre line slightly. P5 of 'Heyday of the Warships' is about the clearest shot in front of me.

It would also be worth asking the same question about the boiler top but the answer is not clear from the photos.

Hope this feedback improves a very fine model.

Regards, Andy

I agree with D869 regarding the fan positioning. I hadn't seen any overhead shots of D600s but due to this post I looked on Flickr and found an excellent photo in the R W Carroll collection, which is an overhead full roof shot of D602 and D 603 at Penzance in late 1959. It is clear from this photo that the fans were offset to the right of centre when viewing over the cab. From this photo the boiler top seems to be centralised.

Edited by rembrow
  • Like 1

Nice photo! That's a new one to me.

It also reminds me that the rectangular openings in the engine room roofs disappeared at an early date. Possibly plated over.

I do remember deciding that they were not holes on D604 by the time of my chosen date (1965) but can't remember whether they were ever holes on the later locos.

Regards, Andy

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I've just been peering at some photos of the real thing which reminded me of a niggling feeling that I had regarding the above CAD renders.

The fan openings should be offset from the centre line slightly. P5 of 'Heyday of the Warships' is about the clearest shot in front of me.

It would also be worth asking the same question about the boiler top but the answer is not clear from the photos.

Hope this feedback improves a very fine model.

Regards, Andy

Hi Andy

The RS carter drawing shows the fan grilles off set. Even I managed to copy that when I built this thing.

post-16423-0-58296400-1418324803_thumb.png

sorry not the bestest photo :no:

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Looking back through the photos on Kernow Model Centre's Face Book page there is a picture of the large model which they are working from. The fans on that are off-set, although the angle of the photo isn't the best to show it, but it is there. I wonder if the CAD operator has "tidied-up" the drawing thinking the off-set the laser scan found is an error. I could understand why he might think that, it is a bit of a strange quirk on the real ones (and on the Westerns). Hopefully Kernow/Dave are on the case.

I know some people get wound up by delays in models, but I for one never imagined we'd get an RTR D6xx, so this will be very much a bonus addition to my fleet. Well done Kernow/Dave for sharing the CADs, a bit of time at this stage to iron out the glitches is more important than satisfying the less patient among us.   

Good to see another d600 model.

I wouldn't treat the Carter drawings as gospel, particularly for roof detail although it sounds like he got the fan offsets right. He shows the centre 'thing' as a grille. In reality it was the Spanner boiler top like the CAD shows.

I believe that the reason for offsetting things was to allow a walkway through the loco.

Edited by D869