Kernow Models D6xx Update

Andy Y

"If people are serious and want to accelerate time to market", invest the money in developing Star Trek like replicators. Then we can walk into a model shop and say "Computer, one D601 as running on 14th June 1962 at 4pm, in EM gauge, with DCC and sound ", and it will appear within seconds :jester:.

• Like 2

Well I have sorted out any problems these delays might cause, I have written in my will who is to get the model when it is finally delivered!

This post is not in any way meant to be taken seriously, I haven't made a will yet although I must get round to it one day.

• RMweb Gold

Well I have sorted out any problems these delays might cause, I have written in my will who is to get the model when it is finally delivered!

This post is not in any way meant to be taken seriously, I haven't made a will yet although I must get round to it one day.

So your will is only vapourware? :jester:

• RMweb Premium

Following on from my post yesterday when I suggested if you want a Big Warship then make your own, I remembered Silver Fox done one. Done is the word they no longer make them.

If you are lucky you may come across an MTK one. I have seen a couple of very well made ones in the past.

If one is essential then build your layout with the other classes of loco that would run with one and then when Kernow have them in stock yours will have a layout to run on.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Worsley do an etched one in N and 3mm scales - I'm sure if you ask nicely they'll scale the artwork up to 4mm scale. The made up ones look rather nice: http://worsleyworks.co.uk/Image-Pages/Image_N_Class6xx.htm

It does look nice. Normally Worsley will scale up their etches.

• RMweb Gold

What's equally fascinating is the thrall that this small class, only in service for about nine years holds for so many people. Seems rather similar to the P2 class. I doubt many here ever even saw the P2 in steam. I suspect for a model to sell, and for ketone/djm to make a return, it will need to appeal to collectors, those who buy models because they like them as well as the narrower group that model 1960-65 Western region

It is only fair to bear in mind that the P2 'Cock o' the North', as produced by Hornby, was a one-off that only ran in the form modelled for a couple of years. 

Anyone who saw it, even in their early teens, is now over ninety.

John

Edit: Removal of un-noticed repetition!

Edited by Dunsignalling

• RMweb Gold

It is only fair to bear in mind that the P2 'Cock o' the North', in the form produced by Hornby, was a one-off that ran in the form modelled for a couple of years. 

John

This is indeed an interesting point.Firstly bear in mind who is producing this model and their location.Then remember the class was a pioneer and if not quite the first diesel express passenger loco to grace BR metals,then it was certainly a first for prestige West of Engand WR trains such as the "Cornish Riviera",then resplendent in their chocolate & cream Mark 1's.

For a spotter in the late 50's and early 60's,they were shy beasts.There were only 5.Initial reliability was certainly an issue and they were quickly superceded by the D800 lighter variety which was of course Swindon's motive power of choice.Their star did not shine long.

• RMweb Gold

This is indeed an interesting point.Firstly bear in mind who is producing this model and their location.Then remember the class was a pioneer and if not quite the first diesel express passenger loco to grace BR metals,then it was certainly a first for prestige West of Engand WR trains such as the "Cornish Riviera",then resplendent in their chocolate & cream Mark 1's.

For a spotter in the late 50's and early 60's,they were shy beasts.There were only 5.Initial reliability was certainly an issue and they were quickly superceded by the D800 lighter variety which was of course Swindon's motive power of choice.Their star did not shine long.

The 600 Warships were about 4 years old by the time I saw one in "action" so had already been relegated from top-link work by the 800s and would soon be demoted further with the arrival of Westerns and Hymeks on the scene.

As ever, rarity and elusiveness made them attractive to enthusiasts but they had long since earned the sort of reputation that raised groans from traincrews when they realised what they had been given to work with for the next few hours! 

John

It is only fair to bear in mind that the P2 'Cock o' the North', as produced by Hornby, was a one-off that only ran in the form modelled for a couple of years. 

John

Edit: Removal of un-noticed repetition!

That kind of sums up one of the many facets of the hobby.

If a model is announced by a reputable manufacturer who subsequently brings the model to the marketplace there is a good chance it will sell enough to "wash it's face". Provided that is enough for the manufacturer / commissioner then all is good in the world. Hornby have clearly proved that a locomotive which no longer exists and hasn't been seen for many years, nay lifetime, is in this category, and suggests that the sky really is the limit. Hejan's commitment of many of the prototype diesel tractions could be mirrored by "The Great Bear" or GT3 or many of the other lesser kn own steam or "steam outline" designs. One of the last LNWR Claughtons survived into BR livery.

This means that the D6xx is definately marketable and not just to people who model BR(WR) in the period 1960-1965. I just wonder how people who model 1970s blue diesels will be able to resist one of the pair that worked coal trains in South Wales. So it is just a question of when rather than if, and it is Dave Jones and Chris Trerise who have the answer to that.

Presumably the SR diesels 10201-10203 will follow ?    

• Like 1

Yes - exactly the point I was driving at. I guess part of it stems from each class being within relatively recent memory and a sense of what might have been. The P2s arguably were mismanaged by the lner and could have done sterling service on the heavy wartime trains and after. The d6xx given were only broken up in Barry in 1980...

Personally I'd like to see more models like the SECR C class and, crucially, accompanying rtr rolling stock

Suggestion - prince of Wales class, bulldog, lbscr b1 Gladstone, hardwicke etc

Thinks...

A class of five locos...

Non-standard.......

Good at their job and not that far behind the standard of the time......

Totally eclipsed by the better engines.....

Life limited to their teens because of needing non-standard parts that were becoming worn out.....

Sounds more like a Raven Pacific!

Another NER prototype, anyone?

Les

• Like 1

At least people know work is underway on the D600s.

Those of us who like trains wearing a coathanger on the roof and running out of Euston will probably have the holes in our behinds heal up before we get a decent Class 86 or 87 to replace the models that were new when I was at secondary school, and I'm well into my 50s.  That's a nearly 40 year wait.

It's not a dialysis machine, it's not aid to Nepal, a delay won't kill anyone, although if my b*mhole disappears whilst I wait for more decent out of the box AC electrics that might change.

• Like 4

"If people are serious and want to accelerate time to market", invest the money in developing Star Trek like replicators. Then we can walk into a model shop and say "Computer, one D601 as running on 14th June 1962 at 4pm, in EM gauge, with DCC and sound ", and it will appear within seconds :jester:.

Where can i get one?.

I read in a book about one of the D600 crawling into Exter st David and the driver getting out and saying to one of the platform staff " Well that bloody thing dose not live up to it's name! ..........the D600 was Active!.

But i am still getting one!.

Darren

Edited by darren01
  • Like 2

Changing the subject from dates and lead times, and more about the class than the model but doesn't seem worth starting a new thread for a single yes or no question...

Did the D600's ever run in BR blue, with small yellow warning panels but NO headcode boxes?

Cheers

Dan :-)

• RMweb Premium

Changing the subject from dates and lead times, and more about the class than the model but doesn't seem worth starting a new thread for a single yes or no question...

Did the D600's ever run in BR blue, with small yellow warning panels but NO headcode boxes?

Cheers

No Dan,

Only Bulldog  was in BR blue with small yellow panel but with headcode boxes. Active received blue with full yellow ends and the other three remained in green with small yellow panels. By withdrawal all had headcode boxes.

With hindsight, way back in April 1977 i should have paid more attention to the 21 and D600 there in Dai's storage area.

Indeed i walked past both of them, while gazing forlornly at the slowly rusting hulks of NM, WC, BOB, and assorted GWR loco's. I remember them there of course as they looked so out of place amongst the long rows stretching round the curve from the Barry Island overbridge.

No camera then for me as i was only 12 and on my first HST ride from Maidenhead of all places, change at Cardiff. 

Still i count myself lucky that although i never saw (to the best of my memory) the 52's in action i did see the long sad line ups of them at Swindon while passing by from the comfort of a MK3 coach. Not the same though eh? 

Shame not one got saved (not even a cab) that late in the day, when they got cut.

• Like 2

Clive: thanks for that, I didn't think they did, wasn't the nosejob done at some point during the 'green era'? To my eye BFYE doesn't look right on the North British hydraulics. My D6xx is a kit with the original front end, but may go 'fictional' and do bsyp anyway,

It's that or LoadHaul....

Dave: steam was long gone when I got into trains, my first encounter with a kettle was seeing City of Truro on display outside Truro cathedral, I knew what that loco was by then and remember being awe-struck at seeing the real thing and being shown round the footplate :-) I missed the hydraulics by a good few years as well, which going by some of the nostalgic comments about them on here, I sometimes wish I was born a few years earlier! Asides from class 14's on a heritage railway, my first sighting of a Hydraulic was when I took my then 2 year old daughter to see a Western (Champion?) take a railtour past St Budeaux station, she got as excited as I did as it howled through:-) the only thing I remember seeing the demise of is the 50's, used to travel from Hayle to Cheltenham quite frequently and remember the rows at Laira looking slowly worse for wear each time we passed them :-( hindsight is a funny thing, 47's and HST's were the order of the day back then, but they were 'just trains' to me, now I miss the Valenta scream and dragged my girlfriend out with me at half 6 in the morning to take photo of a 47 on a railtour.

Apologies for the off topic monologue, but nostalgia is fun and kills some time waiting, rather than asking again when the new model is due ;-)

Happy Days

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

I really missed the 50s

Used to be my favourites for haulage

But some enthusiasts hated them!

Edited by MJI

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...