Kernow Models D6xx Update

Andy Y

I was waiting for these, and also the Bullied diesels. I have had a Silver Fox body for the Bullied diesel for a few years, and a couple of months ago I looked at the slow progress on the D6xx Warships, and thought I would get a good few years running out of my conversion before anything finally came out. I really enjoyed the conversion, so that is the most important thing.

I do live in hope of both coming out though, and having done a conversion of a Class 21 (from Hornby 29 and etches) I know how hard to get the North British cab fronts are to do.

The one sad thing is that with the Kernow announcements, and other RTR manufacturers, it has killed off the conversion kits for today's market.

Jamie

Edited by Jamiel

• RMweb Gold

Good to see there is some progress. I do wonder how long it will be before we see these and the railmotors. Equally , I think it was last summer we saw the gate stock samples but no sign yet of those either

David

Once the CADs are cleared it no doubt depends on when they are authorised to go for tooling.  That will no doubt be influenced by a variety of factors.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Since the APT-E has been delivered this is now the model project I'm most excited about and I can't wait for them to come out. They'll arrive when they arrive, it's been a long wait and we may have a lot more waiting but there are plenty of other models to buy and provided the final product is good then it'll be worth it.

• RMweb Gold

Since the APT-E has been delivered this is now the model project I'm most excited about and I can't wait for them to come out. They'll arrive when they arrive, it's been a long wait and we may have a lot more waiting but there are plenty of other models to buy and provided the final product is good then it'll be worth it.

To which I add amen,with the proviso that the model has a better reliability record than its prototype which heralded the swansong of production at a great British ( Scottish ) engineering company.Appropriate that it's first destination is to be a return to Cornwall.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Do not overlook the fact that Kernow MRC has multiple projects on the go and a quite ambitious programme of commissions for a modest if high-profile and well-known retailer.  They don't necessarily come to market in the order announced nor in the order we might wish.

It is entirely possible that a lot of work on the 4TC was done over years past but the project was not announced for what ever reason until close to delivery.  There is the 1361 not far off and there is the gate stock well advanced also.  The steam railmotor is in the mix somewhere too.  Who knows what other delights might be up the sleeve at Camborne as there are occasional "unexpected" announcements such as the Holman's compressor which have simply been kept quiet and allowed to appear when ready.

We have been very patient waiting for the D600s and while the weeks go by and we hear no more that doesn't mean nothing is being done behind the scenes.  They might be closer than we are aware of but awaiting a production slot for, in the first instance, the 1:76 EP shot and then the various steps to reach the final approved sample for production.

• RMweb Gold

Apols if I missed it on this thread but does anyone know when the grilles were changed on D604?  IIUC it's plain green with no yellow panels (as is D601) but has different grilles so presumably didn't spend long with the early ones (or didn't have them in the first place?)

Do not overlook the fact that Kernow MRC has multiple projects on the go and a quite ambitious programme of commissions for a modest if high-profile and well-known retailer.  They don't necessarily come to market in the order announced nor in the order we might wish.

It is entirely possible that a lot of work on the 4TC was done over years past but the project was not announced for what ever reason until close to delivery.  There is the 1361 not far off and there is the gate stock well advanced also.  The steam railmotor is in the mix somewhere too.  Who knows what other delights might be up the sleeve at Camborne as there are occasional "unexpected" announcements such as the Holman's compressor which have simply been kept quiet and allowed to appear when ready.

We have been very patient waiting for the D600s and while the weeks go by and we hear no more that doesn't mean nothing is being done behind the scenes.  They might be closer than we are aware of but awaiting a production slot for, in the first instance, the 1:76 EP shot and then the various steps to reach the final approved sample for production.

And they all need cash, or more precisely cashflow, to progress them.

Stewart

Slightly off at a tangent, after a quick chat ref the GWR Steam Railmotor it seems like it'll be at least another year if not more if anyone is interested.

• RMweb Premium

At DEMUs Showcase last month I spoke to the Kernow crew about the big Warship. They didn't say when it would be ready but indicated that it wasn't going to be soon.

Excellent I can still gloat about the one I built and the one I may finish one day. :sungum: :sungum:

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 2

Slightly off at a tangent, after a quick chat ref the GWR Steam Railmotor it seems like it'll be at least another year if not more if anyone is interested.

That's what I was expecting, unfortunately. I may have gone onto other things by then at the rate I'm working at the moment. My early 1900s EM layout may be the last of that period I do, as ideas are forming that the next one may go back 15-20 years, so pre railmotors, and be P4.

• RMweb Premium

I may be repeating myself here, but I do think it is worth remembering a few things:

• Kernow in the greater scheme of things are a very small fish, not a plc. They have a program which is very ambitious for such a small outfit and some of the projects they've taken on are not the easiest
  • The project was caught up in the upheaval at Dapol and change to DJM which I'm guessing won't have helped although DJ will have been familiar with the project at least
  • This is a challenging project, there is no survivor to laser scan and traditional old fashioned info on the type is not really abundant either
  • The last people who want a delay in these things are Kernow as they're the ones spending money and if any of their projects tank then the consequences will I suspect be immediate and personal for their owner

When all's said and done I haven't paid for the models, there is no contractual relationship stating delivery, there are lots of other releases to keep wallets from overflowing. Would I like these delivered tomorrow? Of course I would, but the situation is what it is and nothing will change that.

So complete guess and ideal speculation, but if they move to tooling in Q4 2016, could be avilable Q4 2017 or early 2018. (Thinking of how long others typically take from stage to stage.)

You're not looking hard enough.

From the Kernow site re Warship Limited Editions:

"The CADs have been checked and feedback to correct some minor issues has been given to the factory, with updated CADs received on 14th August 2015. We have been working on various iterations of CADs with the last set of feedback sent at the end of July 2016. The issues are all very minor but we feel it is important to get the minor details correct. As soon as these changes are completed we expect to be able to move to tooling."

Edited by miles73128

• 2 weeks later...

Apols if I missed it on this thread but does anyone know when the grilles were changed on D604?  IIUC it's plain green with no yellow panels (as is D601) but has different grilles so presumably didn't spend long with the early ones (or didn't have them in the first place?)

For D604 delivered in 01/1959 air intakes were changed to the vertical type in 01/1961 with small yellow warning panels being applied in 02/1962.

For reference

D600 delivered in 01/1958 air intakes changed in 11/1960 with small yellow warning panels being applied in 05/1962. 

D601 delivered in 03/1958 air intakes changed between 11/1960 to 01/1961 with small yellow warning panels being applied in 08/1962. 

D602 delivered in 10/1958 air intakes changed in 11/1960 with small yellow warning panels being applied in 04/1962.

D603 delivered in 11/1958 air intakes changed in 12/1960 with small yellow warning panels being applied in 04/1962.

• 1 month later...

I may be repeating myself here, but I do think it is worth remembering a few things:

• Kernow in the greater scheme of things are a very small fish, not a plc. They have a program which is very ambitious for such a small outfit and some of the projects they've taken on are not the easiest
  • The project was caught up in the upheaval at Dapol and change to DJM which I'm guessing won't have helped although DJ will have been familiar with the project at least
  • This is a challenging project, there is no survivor to laser scan and traditional old fashioned info on the type is not really abundant either
  • The last people who want a delay in these things are Kernow as they're the ones spending money and if any of their projects tank then the consequences will I suspect be immediate and personal for their owner

When all's said and done I haven't paid for the models, there is no contractual relationship stating delivery, there are lots of other releases to keep wallets from overflowing. Would I like these delivered tomorrow? Of course I would, but the situation is what it is and nothing will change that.

Bump! Wouldn't hurt just to give a quick 6 months progress update: e.g. "CAD completed, tooling scheduled in 6-12mts time".  Would keep people engaged with the programme. At least it would cut down on speculation! Yes, they will arrive when they arrive, but CRM is a key part of a communications strategy.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Nevertheless, we have seen signs of progress. On the other hand, the Bulleid diesels...

...... will be some time later, almost certainly after the GWR Railmotors, too.

Maybe we should let them get one thing finished before we start stressing about what will be (at least) the one after next? 

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

...... will be some time later, almost certainly after the GWR Railmotors, too.

Maybe we should let them get one thing finished before we start stressing about what will be (at least) the one after next? 

John

I’m not at all stressed. Dave Jones has said that he depends on the profit from one project to fund the next. Kernow is a relatively small retailer and the same must apply. Perhaps the D6xx has to wait for the tool-up instruction until the funds are available. All this is fair enough and I applaud Kernow for some of the enterprising stuff provided for us.

I also don’t object to early announcements, which must help to avoid duplication. As for delays, I’m all for them, within reason. Without delays, I’m sure that finances would compel me to miss out on even more than I do. What I don’t like is to see new projects popping up and racing forward whilst existing ones stall for years.

I also don’t object to early announcements, which must help to avoid duplication. As for delays, I’m all for them, within reason. Without delays, I’m sure that finances would compel me to miss out on even more than I do. What I don’t like is to see new projects popping up and racing forward whilst existing ones stall for years.

Well I do object to early announcements. Perhaps if they hadn't announced this, what 6 years ago, someone like Heljan would have introduced it by now. Same goes for the Bulleid diesels.

Well I do object to early announcements. Perhaps if they hadn't announced this, what 6 years ago, someone like Heljan would have introduced it by now. Same goes for the Bulleid diesels.

Possibly. The trouble is that Heljan seems to have become engrossed in 0 scale and lost interest in the oddballs which it pioneered.

• RMweb Premium

At DEMUs Showcase last month I spoke to the Kernow crew about the big Warship. They didn't say when it would be ready but indicated that it wasn't going to be soon.

Excellent I can still gloat about the one I built and the one I may finish one day. :sungum: :sungum:

Still gloating :sungum:

I bet when it is produced everyone will say " Oi, Mortimore isn't yours rubbish" :this:  And my reply will, "Yes". :mosking:

• Like 1

Removed content.

I very much doubt it, dignity and respect etc, it isnt the done thing to rat on your previous employer whether you left under good or bad circumstances, it just isnt done by somebody who has morals! 

Edited by Andy Y