Kernow Models D6xx Update

Andy Y

The day will soon arrive... exciting. I only wish that I had the 'model train saving fund' I had when I pre-ordered them.

I can sell my body to science, I suppose.

Make sure it's to science: I have tried selling my body to top up my train fund, but I have never had any takers.  A bit depressing, really… one can only hope that scientists are less choosy.

Edited by olivegreen
  • Like 1

So about 18 months away then? We think?

That’s good. It will give me time to scrape together the money for a second one. Sadly, as with olivegreen, selling my body is not a viable money-raiser. Strange – there’s so much of it I’d have thought it would be good value.

• RMweb Gold

So about 18 months away then? We think?

Maybe yes, maybe no.  It all depends on a number off things including what other items are progressing at Kernow and the associated business plans and cashflow but more particularly within that how the tooling goes, how many corrections might be needed and so on.  At best it all depends on the business plan situation and you might see them on sale at Warley next year but on the other hand it could indeed be 18 months.  In the meanwhile just wait for Warley ;)

Maybe yes, maybe no.  It all depends on a number off things including what other items are progressing at Kernow and the associated business plans and cashflow but more particularly within that how the tooling goes, how many corrections might be needed and so on.  At best it all depends on the business plan situation and you might see them on sale at Warley next year but on the other hand it could indeed be 18 months.  In the meanwhile just wait for Warley ;)

Is 'tool authorisation' the step before 'tool cutting' then?

• RMweb Gold

Is 'tool authorisation' the step before 'tool cutting' then?

Yes - its the authorisation to start work on the actual tools once the CADs have been finally signed off.  But note 'the authorisation to start work' - that is not quite the same thing as the factory actually starting as it depends on their workload and progress payments.  If it all falls neatly into place they can get the tooling done fairly quickly - well under a year if it goes well.  But going from there to production means getting engineering prototypes to a satisfactory and acceptable standard and then getting the livery samples right (which might not necessarily be as easy as it sounds) before final sign-off to manufacture, which then needs a production slot in the factory.

If it all works well the time can be remarkably short once the CAD is approved but there are unfortunately plenty of things which can go 'not quite right' and that stretches the timescales and can cause manufacturing slots to be missed.

Yes - its the authorisation to start work on the actual tools once the CADs have been finally signed off.  But note 'the authorisation to start work' - that is not quite the same thing as the factory actually starting as it depends on their workload and progress payments.  If it all falls neatly into place they can get the tooling done fairly quickly - well under a year if it goes well.  But going from there to production means getting engineering prototypes to a satisfactory and acceptable standard and then getting the livery samples right (which might not necessarily be as easy as it sounds) before final sign-off to manufacture, which then needs a production slot in the factory.

If it all works well the time can be remarkably short once the CAD is approved but there are unfortunately plenty of things which can go 'not quite right' and that stretches the timescales and can cause manufacturing slots to be missed.

That sounds like it gives me some time to replenish the train saving fund. Happy days.

• RMweb Gold

You are such a tease Mr SM!

Hee hee

Phil

• RMweb Premium

At DEMUs Showcase last month I spoke to the Kernow crew about the big Warship. They didn't say when it would be ready but indicated that it wasn't going to be soon.

Excellent I can still gloat about the one I built and the one I may finish one day. :sungum: :sungum:

Seems like the race is on, will I finish my second one before the Kernow one is in their shop....................I think they might be gloating as the second one has been nearly done for about 15 years. :locomotive: :locomotive:

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

To be fair, that's not in the main body of the newsletter I received, it's reached via a link to Kernow's Facebook page and it's fairly well down that. 

Good to see all the same.

John

Yes that is correct.  With the newsletter issued the day before Warley and with the Kernow MRC crew facing one of the longest drives of anyone to get there I'm sure they can be excused if this was an accidental oversight and was intended to be in the body of the newsletter.  It was released to the Facebook feed through the week which is basically as close to a real-time update service as you'll get and which is often then copied to the Friday newsletter with some additional material.

Unless, of course, there is something about to be made public at the NEC .....  Kernow has hinted that there may be another newsletter of sorts today.

• RMweb Gold

Yes that is correct.  With the newsletter issued the day before Warley and with the Kernow MRC crew facing one of the longest drives of anyone to get there I'm sure they can be excused if this was an accidental oversight and was intended to be in the body of the newsletter.  It was released to the Facebook feed through the week which is basically as close to a real-time update service as you'll get and which is often then copied to the Friday newsletter with some additional material.

Unless, of course, there is something about to be made public at the NEC .....  Kernow has hinted that there may be another newsletter of sorts today.

I believe there might be something - if it has arrived in time ;)  

• RMweb Premium

I believe there might be something - if it has arrived in time ;)  

Tiger EPs : present as I understand things

Weathered 71s : in transit, close but not cigar

NSE-flashed Mk2 brake and departmental runner : already in stock and selling.

600s : [mode = Schultz] "I know nussink - absolutely nussink" [/mode] ;)

• RMweb Gold

Tiger EPs : present as I understand things

Weathered 71s : in transit, close but not cigar

NSE-flashed Mk2 brake and departmental runner : already in stock and selling.

600s : [mode = Schultz] "I know nussink - absolutely nussink" [/mode] ;)

So it looks like the 'something else' has not arrived in time, bit of a pity to be let down like that in view of what was being said about it.