Kernow Models D6xx Update

Andy Y

Does anyone know whether Kernow are producing K2601 and K2604 with overhead warning line symbols?

Yes, K2601 will feature green flashes on a black background, and K2604 will feature a set of rub-down transfers of weathered black, green patina and invisible ink, to suit the individual buyer's preferred narrative  :angel:

• Like 1

I have mentioned previously that things might have happened either on depot or at works after delivery - could you reference the link (or book for the photo please. But assuming it is the one of D600 in the Swindon wood yard (judging by the background) the doors do appear to look green and it is probable they were repainted off the loco. Originally it definitely had black battery box covers as various monotone pictures make clear simply by consistency of tone.

Hi Mike, the books are referenced in my earlier posts. One is from the Strathwood stable and the other is from the Ian Allen Portfolio series.

I have only just followed the Ian Allan reference: I have a copy if that book on my shelves. The photo does show very clearly the green cover, something I had never noticed before, in spite of perusing that book on many occasions.

• RMweb Gold

Agreed - I too await the emergence of that elusive colour photo with interest.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

I'm simply going to rely oin what I actually saw - that's good enough for me (especially as it matched the spec and matches at least one published colour photo.  so black paint will duly be applied to the battery boxes on D601.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

I'm simply going to rely oin what I actually saw - that's good enough for me (especially as it matched the spec and matches at least one published colour photo.  so black paint will duly be applied to the battery boxes on D601.

Kernow's weekly newsletter settles the matter.It will be green at point of delivery.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Re the battery box cover colour, I've just perused my library of hydraulic books. The best collection of D6XX photos in my collection is in Hugh Dady's Heyday of the warships.

P4 D600 28/2/58 covers clearly green

P5 D601 June 1958 green, p6 6/10/58 green.

P6 D603 4/7/59 green

P14 D603 5/6/61 possibly black but could be heavily stained green.

P15, D604 18/5/59 as above

P38 D600 blue full yellow ends 14/6/67 box covers look black but possibly work stained blue

P39 D602 BSYP two photos first 9/67 "under frame dirt" and second 28/12/67 possibly blue

Edit : rear cover D603 departing Newton Abbot green. 15/7/59

So pretty definitive for me that the delivered D6XX had green covers, but what happened in the early 60s with weathering and repaints and to the blue pair remains unclear.

Neil

Edited by Downendian

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I wish you had not posted that photo. The fat bald bloke is now upset he put the wrong colour nameplates on me....and he still hasn't found the green paint for my batteries.

post-16423-0-06918800-1535313065_thumb.jpg

Taken yesterday after getting the second one running which I don't think it have has done.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Read this on Kernow's website. It's implying that DJM have been dropped and Kernow are now dealing directly with the manufacturer? Looks like it might be out pretty soon if they are doing livery samples.
"We announced this model back in 2010 but after virtually no progress was made with the previous supplier we awarded the contract to DJModels in August 2014.  The project effectively started from scratch from this date, albeit with research already well-advanced.  Further problems resulted in us working directly with the factory from April 2018, since when progress has been swift and we have reached livery sample stage."

Edited by peteskitchen

Read this on Kernow's website. It's implying that DJM have been dropped and Kernow are now dealing directly with the manufacturer? Looks like it might be out pretty soon if they are doing livery samples.

"We announced this model back in 2010 but after virtually no progress was made with the previous supplier we awarded the contract to DJModels in August 2014.  The project effectively started from scratch from this date, albeit with research already well-advanced.  Further problems resulted in us working directly with the factory from April 2018, since when progress has been swift and we have reached livery sample stage."

I think that I detect a common factor within the two previous contractors - but I may be mistaken; I couldn't possibly comment further !!

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Having the retailer deal directly with the factory has certainly been a step forward in achieving progress. It has apparently also benefitted other projects including broadening the cultural and social experience of the Managing Director! Genuine Chinese food is about as far from a Cornish pasty as you can get ;)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Having the retailer deal directly with the factory has certainly been a step forward in achieving progress. It has apparently also benefitted other projects including broadening the cultural and social experience of the Managing Director! Genuine Chinese food is about as far from a Cornish pasty as you can get ;)

I see an opportunity for a new fusion style there - Sichuan gong bao chicken inside a pasty crust...

Perhaps not.

• RMweb Gold

Genuine Chinese food is about as far from a Cornish pasty as you can get ;)

Some Chinese Bao are not so different...

… and very tasty!

Just remember China is a very big place and the food varies from area to area - there is not really such a thing as genuine Chinese food unless you consider a very wide range of styles.

Roy (who is married into a Chinese family)

• Like 1

Genuine Cornish pasty is one of the few things I miss living in France - not even Marks & Spencers have the industrialized version. Perhaps I should ask Kernow to post me one next time I place an order...

• Like 1

Genuine Cornish pasty is one of the few things I miss living in France - not even Marks & Spencers have the industrialized version. Perhaps I should ask Kernow to post me one next time I place an order...

So long as Kernow has commissioned it directly from the bakery!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

If you want the best CPs going - you can order online here https://www.philpspasties.co.uk/shop .

Regards,

John Isherwood.

They are unable to deliver overseas and to the most remote of British postcodes. We ordered some but were disappointed to find they use a different pastry for the mail-order ones. Apparently the normal mix which gives the lovely flaky texture does not freeze.

At least the 600s should be made of the same stuff where ever in the world they get sent. He says. Trying to regain a semblance of on-topic comment :jester:

• Like 1

They are unable to deliver overseas and to the most remote of British postcodes. We ordered some but were disappointed to find they use a different pastry for the mail-order ones. Apparently the normal mix which gives the lovely flaky texture does not freeze.

At least the 600s should be made of the same stuff where ever in the world they get sent. He says. Trying to regain a semblance of on-topic comment :jester:

Here in Bodmin, Cornwall, we go down to Hayle and buy them in bulk and freeze them - no problems with freezing the standard pastry from our perspective.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Edited by cctransuk

• RMweb Gold

As mentioned in Post 857 on page 35 of this thread (but I did post that back in June).

• RMweb Gold

Diverting briefly to pasties these are the best I've ever tasted (they beat any we have ever tasted in Cornwall and Ivor Dewdney's by a considerable margin and Ivor's were long reckoned the best you could get - albeit in Plymouth - although the quality has declined in recent years).  Those illustrated below are of course proper job Cornish pasties cooked by Mrs Stationmaster (whose surname prior to marriage began with those important letters 'Tre...'.  They do of course contain the correct pasty ingredients cooked in the correct manner (in the pastry) and contain none of that nonsense such as carrots which appear in pale imitations or such abominations as cheese.  They do not however fit the full tradition of a savoury meat/fish end and a sweet content at the other end.

They have incidentally been given a seal of approval by a member of KMRC staff ;)

post-6859-0-02276000-1539010283_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Diverting briefly to pasties these are the best I've ever tasted (they beat any we have ever tasted in Cornwall and Ivor Dewdney's by a considerable margin and Ivor's were long reckoned the best you could get - albeit in Plymouth - although the quality has declined in recent years).  Those illustrated below are of course proper job Cornish pasties cooked by Mrs Stationmaster (whose surname prior to marriage began with those important letters 'Tre...'.  They do of course contain the correct pasty ingredients cooked in the correct manner (in the pastry) and contain none of that nonsense such as carrots which appear in pale imitations or such abominations as cheese.  They do not however fit the full tradition of a savoury meat/fish end and a sweet content at the other end.

They have incidentally been given a seal of approval by a member of KMRC staff ;)

attachicon.gifDSCF9398rd.jpg

Excellent, any chance of a recipe so we can all do a bit of scratch building Mike?

all the very best

Godfrey