Kernow Models D6xx Update

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

A plea for all to co exist in harmony.Pasties may not be for the purist,I grant you but they are Cornish and maybe some light hearted banter relieves the tedium of a long wait.A bit like a Samuel Beckett play perhaps ?

If so inclined you have yourselves the option of being pro active by pressing the report button if pasty crumbs offend you that much.

A plea for all to co exist in harmony.Pasties may not be for the purist,I grant you but they are Cornish and maybe some light hearted banter relieves the tedium of a long wait.A bit like a Samuel Beckett play perhaps ?

If so inclined you have yourselves the option of being pro active by pressing the report button if pasty crumbs offend you that much.

You mean like 'Waiting for Godot'? saw the follow up too ...'Godot arrives and blames Network Rail'...

• RMweb Gold

I thought the point of Wheeltappers, and the area groups to a degree, was to soak up this sort of off-topic bantery stuff, and keep the modelling threads mainly on-topic.

I suppose the reason for the frippery is that this model has had a long gestation period. We are in the age of instant communication and develop withdrawal symptoms when those needs are not met ....or when actually,there is no news anyway.Chris Trerise plays his cards close to his chest.....understandably.......and gives out information as and when necessary..an example being when he requested information on the livery of the underbody on D601.To which we all responded in positive manner and the result was posted.

No news is good news and we must accept that.Maybe until the model actually arrives and we can critically analyse with accustomed relish,there is only anecdotal or documentary material to chew over.Maybe we're on the point of exhausting that too.

Hence 'Pastygate' I suppose. OK some don't like it but does it really give chronic indigestion ?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Beware, this post contains humour..., for those without Humour, see Steam Heat & lack Air Brakes, Ive added a HTML tag to auto-remove it..

Class 9 post follows.

[Humour]

Meanwhile back on the platform end, the signals are horizontal, the only thing moving is the class 03 shunter moving parcels vans around, awaiting the D600 to take them.

I wonder if pastys are in those vans ?

[\humour]

I have suggested a couple of times a Blue HYE D600 may be a good option, theres certainly plenty of time to have considered it. But alas i guess i must be a lone voice wanting one.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/monthly_01_2012/post-2011-0-19282000-1326893152.jpg

I think this livery looks great.

In general this is a shadowy area of rtr liveries, not many OO gauge models are released as this, yet it was by all accounts, around for a while on several classes, indeed in SLWs 24 poll, it polled lowest, i wonder why ?

Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Premium

And absolutely cracking they look, too.

I guess now we are at the mercy of Chinese New Year even if Chris presses the button today. In reality there are often very minor faults on the first samples but we are finally close to getting these.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

They look pretty good to me.

First impression was boy what a big headcode box, but when you look at pictures of the real thing, they really do look like a chunky add-on in reality.

I think this model has been captured very well, green battery box was definitely the right decision.

One thing ive been wondering, when you see pictures if D600/1 in Barry, you can see the outline of where shed plates were, at the bottom, front of the cab door. Yet when you look at service pictures, ive yet to see a picture with them wearing shedplates.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ekimseli/18237530931

https://www.flickr.com/photos/pwakely/17809612650/

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f3/North_British_Type_4_D600_%288392563540%29.jpg

Is it possible they were carried on a single cab at one end only, and hence avoided camera attention in service ?

The other observation, many many pictures, the drivers side windows were open, were these things a bit hot in the cab ?

Edited by adb968008

I'd prefer Chris to take his time and make sure they're right and Chinese New Year be d*mned.

On a purely selfish note, I am happy to hold off until next year, when I'll be back at work on full pay (currently on long service leave on half pay so I have to watch the budget a bit!).

• RMweb Gold

Don’t hold off to long, the Pre-order price (£169) is prepaid in advance, but for non-prepaid orders, there is a price rise to come and your at the back of the queue.

(By all accounts these have sold well and are only 750 run).

Edited by adb968008

Hi 

Had an email from them today about my order; 

Thanks for your order for our D600 Warship model(s). 

As you are no doubt aware the development of this model has taken far longer than we ever intended. However we are now pleased to announce that the model has now progressed to the point that we are now approving working samples and production should commence in the not too distant future.

We did allow for price increases when we originally announced the model but we could not foresee that the exchange rate would collapse in the way it has.  While we have previously honoured pre-order prices when we can, we cannot do so in this case and the models will now cost £169.99.

Although we cannot keep to the original price if you wish to keep your order we will add 1500 loyalty points to your account in recognition of your patience to date (worth £15 off a future order).  

With the model now getting close to production, we are now taking payment.
If you still wish to receive one of these locos, please let us know. You can either call or email. If you believe your payment details will have expired, we will need your current details. You can also place a new order on our website if you prefer, but please remember to add a note to the order in the ‘Special Instructions’ box during checkout to say that it replaces your existing order.

If you would prefer to cancel the order please also let us know so that we do not keep trying to contact you!

The deadline for responses to this email/letter is 30th November 2018.  If we have not heard from you by this date we will assume you no longer want the model and will cancel your order.  You will not be able to take advantage of this offer of 1500 Loyalty Points after we have cancelled your order.
Looks like it won't be long now,
Darren.
PS. Looks like there asking for full payment up front for this model and the payments has to be in by the end of this month, thing is i never seen the model in the flesh and how it runs, or have they got it right, and when i would likely see said model?.
Edited by darren01

Hi 

A
...................................etc etc

The deadline for responses to this email/letter is 30th November 2018.  If we have not heard from you by this date we will assume you no longer want the model and will cancel your order.  You will not be able to take advantage of this offer of 1500 Loyalty Points after we have cancelled your order.
Darren.
PS. Looks like there asking for full payment up front for this model and the payments has to be in by the end of this month, thing is i never seen the model in the flesh and how it runs, or have they got it right, and when i would likely see said model?.

Hi Darren01  (another ? )

no-one else has responded to your request in your final para  so.......

It would appear to me from your para appended at foot of the Kernow Darren's email I get the impression (possibly incorrectly so please don't take offence :) ) that you may not have a great deal of experience of dealing with Kernow models.

Personal experience of Track (sic) record of company is pretty important in my view in deciding what to do with advance payment orders and the Kernow record is very good in my view - if somewhat prone to production delay on occasion - but you have to make allowances as it is only a small company.

if it helps you decide what to do then from the point of view of a customer only - I have two of these on order paid for upfront in March 2017  (think I got points as well but it was 18months ago!!) and I have had other pre-ordered stuff off them in the past.

Price - It has on occasion been known for Kernow to revise the pre-order price during prolonged development and at the same time to offer the opportunity to fix this price with an incentive of points if you pay up front at key points in development which appears to be the case here. They did it with the 10203 diesel. I guess it helps their cashflow. Once paid up front though I have not so far known Kernow put the price again.

Quality - In terms of quality  (your second concern) - I had a wobble about them after DJMs class 71 top speed problem (DJM appeared to be involved in Kernow developments at the time) but was quickly re-assured when it became apparent neither these Warships nor the SR diesels would be powered the way the DJ class 71s were, and since then I have taken delivery of three really excellent SR Diesels and am looking to a fourth - really smooth powerful runners with a more than realistic top speed and good roadholding.

My own expectation is that these will probably run extremely well, will look the part, will be better than anything I can build  - and doubtless someone on here will identify the odd anomaly !! but not so significantly as to destroy my enjoyment.(that is my hope anyway !! :) )

Delivery It is not available yet but it appears to be in the latter throes of painted sample approval awaiting for full production authorisation - My best guess FWIW is that it is now about to go into production and you could probably expect it to be delivered around about May/June next year - but that is only a guess based on experience with the SR diesel

On the face of it if I was in your position I would take the offer up if you can afford to do so. - hope all that helps you. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I have had no hesitation in paying upfront for both the Bulleid and NBL D6XX.Remember it eases their cash flow situation and allows for an easier and quicker development of the models to point of sale.Ultimately,it benefits all IMHO.

Obviously there is an element of trust in this but I for one have no qualms whatsoever.CT & Kernow will deliver as they unfailingly do.

• RMweb Premium

That is the same email everyone with pre-orders has had regarding these locos.  I guess how soon each individual gets theirs relates to the date of original order.  Either way the effect is the same.

Your order stands by default at the new price but you may - if you wish - pay in advance at the offered price and both save money and obtain a significant value of loyalty credit to your account.  I calculated that I was only going to be £5 per loco worse off with that all taken into account.  £5 over the very long gestation period of these locos is a very modest increase indeed and to credit your loyalty points KMRC will themselves be taking a hit further down the line with something else of your choice.  In other words they are being very clever at both managing cash flow (getting as much up-front as they can to reduce commercial borrowing requirements and associated costs) and at spreading the load (they are still effectively offering a significant saving over the shelf price of the item but through loyalty as much as cash price).  Full marks for canny business methods.

KMRC has an enviable reputation for high quality commissions.  While not everything has turned out exactly as they might have hoped each and every commissioned item is gone over very thoroughly through every stage of research and design to ensure it both looks and works to the best extent possible within the limitations of scale and sensible price.

I don't think you have any cause for concern other than the possible effect on your financial health.  How you manage the order process with the options offered is of course your choice.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I prepaid all 3 102xx and both D600’s, last year.

I also got a full refund on the class 74.

So full of confidence in Kernow, i actually carried nearly £140 in credit in my account with then, unspent for a year.

All 3x 102xx are delivered and are nothing short of fantastic.

I finally caved in on friday and spent that credit, at 16.17 and ordered a bunch of coaches, the new Bachmann POTs, Kernows Pikes and a Pan-NSE TSO, by 16.47 i had 3 emails indicating my order was recieved, processed and shipped.

Am quite excited towards the D600’s.

Very confident with Kernow, for over 10 years.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 3

Hi 

As you are no doubt aware the development of this model has taken far longer than we ever intended. However we are now pleased to announce that the model has now progressed to the point that we are now approving working samples and production should commence in the not too distant future.

We did allow for price increases when we originally announced the model but we could not foresee that the exchange rate would collapse in the way it has.  While we have previously honoured pre-order prices when we can, we cannot do so in this case and the models will now cost £169.99.

Although we cannot keep to the original price if you wish to keep your order we will add 1500 loyalty points to your account in recognition of your patience to date (worth £15 off a future order).  

With the model now getting close to production, we are now taking payment.
If you still wish to receive one of these locos, please let us know. You can either call or email. If you believe your payment details will have expired, we will need your current details. You can also place a new order on our website if you prefer, but please remember to add a note to the order in the ‘Special Instructions’ box during checkout to say that it replaces your existing order.

If you would prefer to cancel the order please also let us know so that we do not keep trying to contact you!

Darren.

Thanks to this post I contacted Kernow and paid for my D600. Since ordering it four years ago this month I hadn't received any further updates except for the newsletter and this thread. What really helped was that my credit card was carrying a negative balance so the damage was a lot less than it would have been otherwise!

Beware, this post contains humour..., for those without Humour, see Steam Heat & lack Air Brakes, Ive added a HTML tag to auto-remove it..

Class 9 post follows.

[Humour]

Meanwhile back on the platform end, the signals are horizontal, the only thing moving is the class 03 shunter moving parcels vans around, awaiting the D600 to take them.

I wonder if pastys are in those vans ?

[\humour]

I have suggested a couple of times a Blue HYE D600 may be a good option, theres certainly plenty of time to have considered it. But alas i guess i must be a lone voice wanting one.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/monthly_01_2012/post-2011-0-19282000-1326893152.jpg

I think this livery looks great.

In general this is a shadowy area of rtr liveries, not many OO gauge models are released as this, yet it was by all accounts, around for a while on several classes, indeed in SLWs 24 poll, it polled lowest, i wonder why ?

I have to admit I would rather they had done D602 in BSYP. I certainly would have bought one. Maybe they will release some more in another batch?

Edited by Baby Deltic