Kernow Models D6xx Update

Andy Y

They were certainly very impressive looking, particularly to me as D601 was the first mainline diesel I ever saw (at St Budeaux on the Up Postal).  Alas they were never truly reliable in service and were very rapidly overshadowed by Swindon's own version of what it thought a diesel-hydraulic should be but that never stopped the D6XX looking good, until those excresences of headcode boxes were added.

I think they were the best looking of all the diesel hydraulics. The Warships and Westerns looked too Germanic to me. I liked the Hymeks, of course with their Wilkes Ashmore body styling, and of course the 22's had the classic 1950's curved up split windscreen look which a lot of lorries had. I think it was a far more elegant way of accommodating gangway doors than the small 'fly window' on the Brush and BR type 2's.

Ironically I remember seeing an article in Rail Enthusiast Magazine about the D600's called 'The Warships That Sank'. It must have been about 1983 and I was in WH Smith's. I couldn't afford the mag at the time with my 'pocket money' but I did find that copy of the mag 30 years later.

Edited by Baby Deltic
  • Like 1

Apologies for nicking this from Clive's Sheffield thread, but I found this observation very interesting and thought I'd take the liberty of sharing, courtesy of Sandhole of this parish:

"The one and only time I saw one was in 1967. It was the blue beast.

I was with Mum and Dad in a 4COR heading out of Victoria to West Worthing. The Warship started to run alongside us on that bit of track where the trains coming out of Waterloo join the Victoria trains just before Clapham Junction.

The sight of a loco I never ever expected to see, trundling by the side of us was marvellous!!!! I assume she was on a west of England train. What was said when see appeared at Waterloo can only be imagined!!!!"

• Like 1

Not sure BR would have let a D600 leave Devon let alone work as far as London Waterloo at that time. D600 had been overhauled though. The Southern Region crews wouldn't have been trained on it, nor probably any WR crews who might have been working D800's out of Waterloo. Why would BR use a D600 when they probably had a surplus of D800's for that diagram?

Edited by Baby Deltic

• RMweb Gold

Not sure BR would have let a D600 leave Devon let alone work as far as London Waterloo at that time. D600 had been overhauled though. The Southern Region crews wouldn't have been trained on it, nor probably any WR crews who might have been working D800's out of Waterloo. Why would BR use a D600 when they probably had a surplus of D800's for that diagram?

Not to mention a 4-Cor on a Vic - Littlehampton service. CIGs had been the mainstay for a few years by then. Cors were still rife on the Pompey Direct pending the introduction of the Phase 2 CIGs.

• RMweb Premium

Not to mention a 4-Cor on a Vic - Littlehampton service. CIGs had been the mainstay for a few years by then. Cors were still rife on the Pompey Direct pending the introduction of the Phase 2 CIGs.

There were a few 4Cor peak-hour turns between London and the Sussex Coast via the Brighton Main Line but at the time the 6xx were about in London I suspect the working might have been a 6Cor or even 6Pul or 6Pan set. These were superficially similar inside and - for the most part - out to 4Cor units.

The 6xx alongside in the vicinity of Clapham Junction is puzzling. I can find no record of one on a Waterloo - Exeter diagram (though that doesn’t exclude the possibility of an unrecorded working). As others have said it is unlikely the SR crews had traction knowledge and at that time the Waterloo - Exeters were steam-hauled too. The 6xx did work in London in the early sixties on WR main line passenger, parcels and milk duties. But they were banished to Cornwall around 1964-5 to keep a small unreliable class confined to a more manageable area than anywhere served by Paddington.

The blue repaints were seldom seen east of Plymouth.

• RMweb Gold

There were a few 4Cor peak-hour turns between London and the Sussex Coast via the Brighton Main Line but at the time the 6xx were about in London I suspect the working might have been a 6Cor or even 6Pul or 6Pan set. These were superficially similar inside and - for the most part - out to 4Cor units.

I did wonder about that. I think there might have been something like a 17.37 Vic - West Worthing in those days, which would have been suitable for such leftover stock. I think there might have been a 6.39 balancing up working, and no doubt it rested at Streatham Hill all day. Cor workings to London were few. The 8.37 Horsham - Vic was one. I was Area 1 Assistant in Control from late ‘68, and Area 4 Controller from July ‘69, but simply can’t remember!

I know many of you on here have been waiting a few years for this particular model, well, I've just rang KMC this afternoon and paid for D600 Active, but unlike many of you I can wait as I'm a very laid back kind of chap............ Anyone know if that ship is doing 50 knots an hour please

Edited by Brian Hawkins

• RMweb Gold

I know many of you on here have been waiting a few years for this particular model, well, I've just rang KMC this afternoon and paid for D600 Active, but unlike many of you I can wait as I'm a very laid back kind of chap............ Anyone know if that ship is doing 50 knots an hour please

It is knot.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

It is knot.

Furthermore a knot is a measure of speed expressed as nautical miles per hour so does not require the addition of “per hour” ;)

If she were making 50 knots I would be quite concerned about the container going overboard as she rode the waves!

• Agree 1

50 knots is ruddy fast for a container ship - even the fastest nuclear sub would be hard pressed to catch her.

These ships are more like 20 knots, 24 max.

Most of the warship names quoted had a namesake that sank. But most have since appeared on other ships since. HMS Ark Royal, sank off Gibralter in WWII, new ship appeared in the 1950s before the Warship locos appeared and was a TV star in the 70s before being scrapped in 1978/79. Then another HMS Ark Royal appeared in 1985....

Somewhat odd that a recent namesake is HMS Hood has never happened. Her loss was catastrophic but then so was HMS Invincible and HMS indefatigable in 1916, they too blew up under the guns of enemy, both have since had new warships named after them.

On 1/28/2019 at 10:09 PM, JSpencer said:

50 knots is ruddy fast for a container ship - even the fastest nuclear sub would be hard pressed to catch her.

These ships are more like 20 knots, 24 max.

Most of the warship names quoted had a namesake that sank. But most have since appeared on other ships since. HMS Ark Royal, sank off Gibralter in WWII, new ship appeared in the 1950s before the Warship locos appeared and was a TV star in the 70s before being scrapped in 1978/79. Then another HMS Ark Royal appeared in 1985....

Somewhat odd that a recent namesake is HMS Hood has never happened. Her loss was catastrophic but then so was HMS Invincible and HMS indefatigable in 1916, they too blew up under the guns of enemy, both have since had new warships named after them.

It always puzzled me that, though the D600s were named after well-known warships, the D800s generally were not. Seems to have been a change of policy to name the later ones after less well known, but then current, warships - mostly frigates and destroyers. The D400s then returned to the 'big names' of course, with plenty of battleships and battlecruisers. More recently locomotives named after warships have carried the 'HMS', which is (pedantically) incorrect as only a ship can carry the title Her Majesty's Ship.

• RMweb Premium

The class was named in alphabetical order (other than 800-2, and 812 which was intended to be Despatch in the alphabetical sequence)  so whether or not a particular vessel was better known would have perhaps been secondary to the required order. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1