Kernow Models D6xx Update

Andy Y

12 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

There might even be some mysterious shennanigans occasionally involving two identically-named and numbered locos in different liveries somehow coupled together ;) 

33 minutes ago, jsp3970 said:

Nice! But what is a Class 170 doing back in the 1960's?

We might have to call The Doctor to explain how the time-lines are getting crossed again! ;)

Edited by SRman
  • Like 2
  • Funny 1

16 hours ago, No Decorum said:

As the loco would carry discs anyhow, the lack of locating holes is going to make it very fiddly. It is a very great shame that the method of attaching discs used on the Bulleid diesels wasn’t repeated. That was a very good idea and it worked brilliantly.

I'm afraid that I have to agree - not providing such fiddly items with any means of support is a bad oversight.

After all, each marker light will need either an open or closed disc.

I may have to devise my own fixings, along the lines of drilling the discs; fitting plastic rod pegs; and drilling locating holes in the loco.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Edited by cctransuk
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
38 minutes ago, 7013 said:

Still waiting, I bet mine will be the last one despatched.

One of them will be. Who knows whose it might be. 

Meanwhile D604 undergoes slow-speed loaded tests and passes with honours. This is DC via a simple Gaugemaster Combi controller. 

I have found some excess glue around the nameplates but not in troublesome amonuts. Careful running of a fingernail along the plate edges removed it. 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/148688735244151/permalink/1965444336901906?sfns=mo

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Today was a great day. My one has arrived safely. It has been a long wait for it to get here but it is worth the wait. I have it doing a running turn on the rolling road currently.

I have not opened the details pack yet as I am not sure what my furture hold for me, as I might have to move house to an area where I can get employment.      

2 hours ago, 7013 said:

Still waiting, I bet mine will be the last one despatched.

Think mine will be, had to postpone them sending mine as I might be away when it is delivered. One of the problems with pre ordering.

• RMweb Gold

D604 arrived (as expected) whilst I was at the excellent Wimborne Show today and was kindly accepted by my neighbour.

Took a while to unbox,  the packaging is very well interlocked. She looks superb and the nameplates already being attached was a pleasant surprise.

Will get her onto the rolling road later.

John

• Like 1

Centre top lamp iron position and headboard mountings - there seems to be a bit of a story to be told here, at least with regard to the first locos, as delivered to BR. Of course, once the bodged-on head code boxes were put on, headboards on diesels were a thing of the past anyway. The model does look REALLY nice with the headboard on, though. (CJL)

Edited by dibber25
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Trainshed Terry said:

And when the driver changers cabs that would put the speedo drive on the leading end. 

Terry

*Sigh* When the  controller is set to “forward”, the speedometer fitting is on the trailing bogie. It is difficult to tell which end is which on a twin-engine (I mean a model of a twin-engine) diesel locomotive. That is assuming that the lights are not on and the operator needs to know in which direction the model will move when power is applied. :D 

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, No Decorum said:

*Sigh* When the  controller is set to “forward”, the speedometer fitting is on the trailing bogie. It is difficult to tell which end is which on a twin-engine (I mean a model of a twin-engine) diesel locomotive. That is assuming that the lights are not on and the operator needs to know in which direction the model will move when power is applied. :D 

That may be true in DCC, but not in DC.

• RMweb Premium

Closed discs put with black tack (as suggested previously in this thread) - this works well

Open discs put on with glue and glaze allowing re positioning with power applied

Headboard fixed with scatter glue to allow later removal

However the pipes have defeated me as I cannot reconcile the instructions with photos and the holes in the buffer beam.  Anyone had success here?

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, No Decorum said:

Fair enough but I was trying to help paftrain, who is trying to fit a decoder.

Good point. I stand corrected.

45 minutes ago, stephennicholson said:

However the pipes have defeated me as I cannot reconcile the instructions with photos and the holes in the buffer beam.  Anyone had success here?

I have found that the exploded parts diagram helps the instructions. Different sized and shaped pegs and holes help too. I think I have a fair idea now but I have to admit, I haven’t finished yet.

I must say that I’m amazed at the number of pipes carried by a diesel of this age. They are described as pipes but I wonder if some of them might be electrical cables.

Just as aside, the pictures on the Kernow site don’t do the shade of green justice. The pictures posted here give a better idea. Kernow told me that these were made in a different factory from the Bulleid diesels. The green of 10203 is less satisfactory in my opinion.

On 14/03/2019 at 16:29, Geoff Endacott said:

The option of fitting your own plates would have been useful for renumbering D600 as D601-4 in BFYE which would be needed to depict them in early 1970s guise.*

Geoff Endacott

*I know they were withdrawn by then, but on my railway they weren't.

Oh no Geoff !!! You will be telling us next that yours will have welded up doors, headcode boxes removed, sealed marker lights and an ETH plug on the nose  - smile !!!   

• Like 1
  • Funny 1