Kernow Models D6xx Update

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, No Decorum said:

Fair enough but I was trying to help paftrain, who is trying to fit a decoder.

Hi

The number one end ( the front) on a twin engineed loco is normally the direction the boiler exhaust port faces.

1843749696_003adir.png.aa1c490c98d1d1a4c3f787d02360615d.png

Sorry for using an old photo of my old conversion, as yet I have not purchased a Kernow loco but I hope this picture helps modellers who are fitting decoders. 

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, No Decorum said:

I have found that the exploded parts diagram helps the instructions. Different sized and shaped pegs and holes help too. I think I have a fair idea now but I have to admit, I haven’t finished yet.

I must say that I’m amazed at the number of pipes carried by a diesel of this age. They are described as pipes but I wonder if some of them might be electrical cables.

Just as aside, the pictures on the Kernow site don’t do the shade of green justice. The pictures posted here give a better idea. Kernow told me that these were made in a different factory from the Bulleid diesels. The green of 10203 is less satisfactory in my opinion.

A photo when you have finished, would be appreciated!

I had a chuckle when trying to identify the "A" and "B" ends of a GWR diesel railcar (and thus "Forward") only to discover that on the general arrangement drawing for Nos 20 to 33 that they used the terminology of "London" and "Bristol" ends!  See The History of the GREAT WESTERN A.E.C. RAILCARS by Colin Judge page 156 Figure 59A.  Meanwhile back on topic.........

Julian

Edited by MG 7305

D601 passes Bolventor with the up 'Cornish Riviera', carefully posed to hide the fact that the station is being redeveloped. The stock is the late Keith Willows' Kitmaster Mk1 rake supplemented with a Bachmann restaurant car. Keith had the coaches in bogus GWR livery - I simply applied BR roundels over the GWR shirt buttons. I've fitted the headboard as it appears in early photos. Once the lamp bracket had been moved higher, (as it is on the model)  the headboards seem to have either been abandoned or were fitted horribly lop-sided. (CJL)

P1220272.JPG

• Like 10

I have received my D601 Ark Royal and it runs superbly, but I have noticed the lamp iron in the middle of the door is missing from both ends, but I see from Silver Sidelines pictures on Flickr that D604 has them fitted. Checking in the bag of parts to be added by the owner there are 2 lamp irons supplied so I guess the Cornish Riviera Headboards supplied with D601, but not D604 are an alternative fit into the middle lamp iron hole.

5 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi

The number one end ( the front) on a twin engineed loco is normally the direction the boiler exhaust port faces.

1843749696_003adir.png.aa1c490c98d1d1a4c3f787d02360615d.png

Sorry for using an old photo of my old conversion, as yet I have not purchased a Kernow loco but I hope this picture helps modellers who are fitting decoders. 

Page 65 of this pdf is the BR diagram for the loco:

http://www.barrowmoremrg.co.uk/BRBDocuments/BR_Diesel_Locos_0329_SB_issue.pdf

Don't blame me if you, like me, are still confused!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

I  have seen many Pictures of D6xx's carrying a CRE or TE headboard but never with a reporting number (130 for CRE) as the Kings used to carry.   On the other hand, I have also seen a picture of a D6xx with a Train reporting number but without a headboard.  Was there a rule for this?

There is a slight difference between each side of the loco. Both sides have three pairs of doors. The nameplate is between the centre and right-hand pair. Between the left-hand and centre pair of doors are an inspection hatch on the upper bodyside and one or two vents beneath it. That is how you can tell the two sides apart. If the side with the single vent is facing you, A end is on the left.

Geoff Endacott

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

Apologies if this has been answered and I missed it seems odd to supply four Cornish Riviera headboards when only one would be needed at a time. One each for Cornish Riviera, Cornishman, Mayflower and Royal Duchy or Torbay Express might have been better.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
51 minutes ago, MartinTrucks said:

Page 65 of this pdf is the BR diagram for the loco:

http://www.barrowmoremrg.co.uk/BRBDocuments/BR_Diesel_Locos_0329_SB_issue.pdf

Don't blame me if you, like me, are still confused!

Hi Martin

Thanks looks Like I was barking up the wrong tree. Same diagram is in Westerns Warships and Hymeks at Work by Geoff Endacott, I should have looked in that to start with.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Martin

Thanks looks Like I was barking up the wrong tree. Same diagram is in Westerns Warships and Hymeks at Work by Geoff Endacott, I should have looked in that to start with.

I thought I'd seen that somewhere before.

Geoff Endacott

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 4

3 hours ago, GeoffBird said:

I  have seen many Pictures of D6xx's carrying a CRE or TE headboard but never with a reporting number (130 for CRE) as the Kings used to carry.   On the other hand, I have also seen a picture of a D6xx with a Train reporting number but without a headboard.  Was there a rule for this?

Looks like the way they fitted meant you could have one or the other but not both, at least not until they moved the centre lamp iron higher up. But by that time, the headboards had gone out of favour. From a PR viewpoint I think the low placed headboard gives the loco front a hangdog 'expression' exactly opposite from the impression given when it is on the top bracket of a steam loco. The D600s came out before the BR Design Panel started to get to grips with diesel design. Only when commercial designers got involved (Hymeks, Westerns etc) did diesel design start to look up, but at least the D600s were a modest improvement in styling on the big diesel-electrics. (CJL)

• Like 2

Well done Kernows! Mine arrived this lunchtime in deepest darkest France by the post. (Now to sneak it in past SWMBO).

Cheers,

Philip

Edited by Philou
Correcting a major brain-f@rt - oops :senile:
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On ‎14‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 16:29, Geoff Endacott said:

The option of fitting your own plates would have been useful for renumbering D600 as D601-4 in BFYE which would be needed to depict them in early 1970s guise.*

Geoff Endacott

*I know they were withdrawn by then, but on my railway they weren't.

Absolutely not, often observed at Winchester Jn coming off the DN&S (that never closed) with milk traffic for Soton & Bomo creameries after droping the Newbury portion off - often being passed by Falcon, Lion, Kestrel, perhaps 10203, a pair of Claytons heading N with some important traffic .............................................

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
On 17/03/2019 at 10:42, Covkid said:

Oh no Geoff !!! You will be telling us next that yours will have welded up doors, headcode boxes removed, sealed marker lights and an ETH plug on the nose  - smile !!!   

Dont forget air brakes - essential for the Par freightliner workings!!!!

Phil

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Hello everyone

Very many thanks to Chris Trerise for his hard and diligent work in getting these locos to market - in my case, D601. What a lovely loco!

I well remember being a short-trousered train-spotter standing at the end of one of Paddington's platforms when one of the class  - brand new at the time - came into the station. The assembly of spotters all booed!

Little did I think that some 60 years later I would buy a model of the type!

Brian (seriously contemplating getting another one)

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, BMacdermott said:

Very many thanks to Chris Trerise for his hard and diligent work in getting these locos to market - in my case, D601. What a lovely loco!

An echo to that here! My pair arrived today and I've just found time to pop one on the rollers and it is sitting there, running very smoothly as I type. I don't care that I've waited 9 years, I appreciate it more especially now that I'm building a layout where they will run in appropriate setting. 

Very well done Kernow team for overcoming all the odds. Doubters duly confounded.

• Like 3

These look very tempting - on a Rule 1 basis in my case - but what is it with diesels that were that were relative failures? Some sort of inverse rule seems to apply: their attractiveness as models is inversely proportional to their success in real life. At least with Hymeks/Warships/Westerns you can blame management decisions rather than performance. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Questions :-

1.  Has anyone been able to access the cabs and fit crew?  I had hoped the cab units might come away in a similar manner to the 22s and 52s (i.e. takes a bit of care, glue needs unsticking but with some effort they will lift out) but even with the obvious screws removed nothing seems willing to budge.

2.  Has anyone yet found any issue with the overhang of the couplers on train-set curves?  They are not a bogie-mounted arm on these but a separate fixing beneath the buffer beam.  I applaud that since bogie-mounts are wont to droop but there is quite a prominent out-swing of the coupler on tight curves in consequence.  It seems to be within gauge however.

3.  Those slightly sloppy nameplates - who has re-set them straight and is there any issue with the glue mark if one does that?  Mine has a little ooze around the plate concerned and I would rather leave that on the "hidden" side than risk popping the plate off only to find I had a bigger problem to fix.

Thanks.

44 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

3.  Those slightly sloppy nameplates - who has re-set them straight and is there any issue with the glue mark if one does that?  Mine has a little ooze around the plate concerned and I would rather leave that on the "hidden" side than risk popping the plate off only to find I had a bigger problem to fix.

Yes - no problem.

A new scalpel blade to gently 'pop' them off, and a tiny dab of thicker superglue to refix them.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
On 12/03/2019 at 17:55, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi All

Looks like my gloating has to stop.

On the DEMU forum the announcement as posted by Si Bendal is dated 15th March 2008......cor 3 days short of 11 years. I hope that the wait has been worth it and everyone gets as much enjoyment out of their Warship as I have had over the years.

That's cleared up a mystery for me as I could have sworn I read the original announcement in our old flat in Holland, which we vacated in 2008.

I've got one on order so looking forward to it, and well done to Kernow for seeing this through to completion.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Silver Sidelines said:

Thanks John, any chance of a picture?

Ray

'Fraid not - it's already been packed away.

Suffice to say that itlooks as it should have when packed at the factory.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Thanks 1