Kernow Models D6xx Update

Andy Y

5 hours ago, Philou said:

Well done Rails! Mine arrived this lunchtime in deepest darkest France by the post. (Now to sneak it in past SWMBO).

Cheers,

Philip

Well done Rails! :unsure:

• Agree 1

Hi 'Chard,

Just as an update - I have snucked it into the house and I've had a look - pig ugly - but it looks excellent. I'll give it a run to check it out tomorrow.

Cheers,

Philip

Yeah - I've amended the offending brain-f@rt - it's an age thing - particularly as I was in the right thread too!! :senile:

Edited by Philou
Incorrect attribution amended :(
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Pteremy said:

These look very tempting - on a Rule 1 basis in my case - but what is it with diesels that were that were relative failures? Some sort of inverse rule seems to apply: their attractiveness as models is inversely proportional to their success in real life. At least with Hymeks/Warships/Westerns you can blame management decisions rather than performance. 

I think you can blame management decisions for the D600s, too, but in different way. Even the Kernow instruction leaflet starts with the words "These were the locos no one wanted." The BTC didn't want hydraulics but the WR did. The WR didn't want heavyweights but that was the only thing the BTC would let them have. D600 came in summer 1958 but by the end of the year the WR had D800, which was the lightweight diesel-hydraulic with the quick-running engines that the region wanted. From that moment on, there was no future for the D600s. I've read that, well driven, a D600 could produce a tractive effort close to that of a Western but 'success' is a subjective judgement. The D600s do not seem to have been mechanically unreliable but they were certainly let down by that Achilles heel of early BR diesels, the dreaded train-heating boiler. (CJL)

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

3 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

Questions :-

1.  Has anyone been able to access the cabs and fit crew?  I had hoped the cab units might come away in a similar manner to the 22s and 52s (i.e. takes a bit of care, glue needs unsticking but with some effort they will lift out) but even with the obvious screws removed nothing seems willing to budge.

2.  Has anyone yet found any issue with the overhang of the couplers on train-set curves?  They are not a bogie-mounted arm on these but a separate fixing beneath the buffer beam.  I applaud that since bogie-mounts are wont to droop but there is quite a prominent out-swing of the coupler on tight curves in consequence.  It seems to be within gauge however.

3.  Those slightly sloppy nameplates - who has re-set them straight and is there any issue with the glue mark if one does that?  Mine has a little ooze around the plate concerned and I would rather leave that on the "hidden" side than risk popping the plate off only to find I had a bigger problem to fix.

Thanks.

I've seen four, so far, and the nameplates on all of them are fine. I think the one illustrated here was just unfortunate. (CJL)

• Informative/Useful 1

7 minutes ago, dibber25 said:

I've seen four, so far, and the nameplates on all of them are fine. I think the one illustrated here was just unfortunate. (CJL)

Not quite - I've seen photos of quite a few with wonky nameplates, and both of the ones on my model were sloping to the right; (which seems to be the case whenever the nameplates do slope).

Regards,

John Isherwood.

2 hours ago, cctransuk said:

Not quite - I've seen photos of quite a few with wonky nameplates, and both of the ones on my model were sloping to the right; (which seems to be the case whenever the nameplates do slope).

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Of course, the easy way to ensure they are straight is to put them in a little recess..........or to just print them! 

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

One of my four nameplates leans slightly to the right. None is entirely free of excess glue though the amounts were very small.  Neither problem troubles me; they are minor in the overall scheme of things. They could have arisen where ever the locos were produced and would not necessarily have been avoided with additional checking. 

Printing the nameplate on does not guarantee it will be straight but will always leave it looking printed not rendered as a raised plate. Full marks to Kernow MRC for including fitted plates within the price on these models. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

Printing the nameplate on does not guarantee it will be straight but will always leave it looking printed not rendered as a raised plate. Full marks to Kernow MRC for including fitted plates within the price on these models. 

Of course. I was being facetious. (CJL)

• Like 1

17 hours ago, dibber25 said:

Even the Kernow instruction leaflet starts with the words "These were the locos no one wanted."

Perhaps that's why they look so sad. :(

I'm almost tempted to give one a loving home, if it weren't tantamount to abusing rule#1.

On 18/03/2019 at 18:01, Gwiwer said:

Questions :-

1.  Has anyone been able to access the cabs and fit crew?  I had hoped the cab units might come away in a similar manner to the 22s and 52s (i.e. takes a bit of care, glue needs unsticking but with some effort they will lift out) but even with the obvious screws removed nothing seems willing to budge.

The screws up front just behind the buffers and the black plastic cover that they secure also need removing, fold back the LED circuit board the light tube fittings are glued in place inside the nose  all 4 of mine in one end came away in-tacked with gentle persuasion then the cab interior drops out. I haven't tackled the other end yet.  

DSC_3999.JPG

Edited by bubbles2
Add picture
  • Informative/Useful 7

• RMweb Premium

Splendid effort by Kernow, a good job well done! NBL may have been hopeless at building diesel locomotives but they were always nice looking. I never thought we would see these as RTR models. Kernow could teach a few others a thing or two about spotting opportunities and working well with their manufacturer. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

Crew added, I had to cut the seats out and reduce the seat height before refitting them so the figures are virtually bums on the floor as with most other diesel cab interiors even though I use 3.5mm, HO scale figures.

Yes I know they need painting, this is just a test fit.

DSC_4006.JPG

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Premium

Like many others I received my 'Ark' today. The many years of waiting are over and this beautiful loco does not disappoint. Lots of detail and nice touches, I remember seeing these locos on the Western region in my youth and they bring back fond memories. I think I was one of the few people who liked these more than the D800 Warships, but I am a fan of these early diesel locos of the 1950/60s

Kernow have done us proud with this model, thank you to all the team in Cambourne who have worked so hard to bring this loco to fruition. Am looking forward to my other Warship which is on a following ship. The next job will be a sound chip to bring them to life

• Like 9
  • Agree 1

On ‎18‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 17:02, BMacdermott said:

I well remember being a short-trousered train-spotter standing at the end of one of Paddington's platforms when one of the class  - brand new at the time - came into the station. The assembly of spotters all booed!

Little did I think that some 60 years later I would buy a model of the type

Yup - did the same thing in '75 (but denim & Parka-clad) when the prototype HST appeared - how time mellows one. 

Would have snapped the model up if it had come to fruitition .........................................

15 hours ago, 7013 said:

Like many others I received my 'Ark' today. The many years of waiting are over and this beautiful loco does not disappoint. Lots of detail and nice touches, I remember seeing these locos on the Western region in my youth and they bring back fond memories. I think I was one of the few people who liked these more than the D800 Warships, but I am a fan of these early diesel locos of the 1950/60s

Kernow have done us proud with this model, thank you to all the team in Cambourne who have worked so hard to bring this loco to fruition. Am looking forward to my other Warship which is on a following ship. The next job will be a sound chip to bring them to life

Mine arrived in West Oz today, along with 'Lord Rodney'. also from Kernow, for a very "naval" day!  I can only re-iterate 7013's comments, and also add my thanks to CT for his perseverance in seeing this through. It has been worth the wait.

I have run mine in on a rolling road. and spent the late afternoon putting on the 'bits', nearly losing one front lamp iron.

Thanks again Mr. T, .another model of the year?

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

• Like 3

Kernow deserve congratulations for bringing this fine model to market; my only 2 'niggles' are that the finish could have been a little more satin - subjective I know- and the front faring at the side of the of the loco by the buffers could have been 2-3mm lower, but I may be wrong here. Its also good to praise the quality of customer service offered by Kernow; all email queries  answered promptly and the goods delivered in good time and well packaged. Model of the year??

It’s rather sobering to realise that in the 11 years between ordering mine and receiving it today, a fifth of my life has passed by and I probably have half the time left to enjoy it as I thought I would have.

nice model, though...

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

On 20/03/2019 at 14:34, bubbles2 said:

Crew added, I had to cut the seats out and reduce the seat height before refitting them so the figures are virtually bums on the floor as with most other diesel cab interiors even though I use 3.5mm, HO scale figures.

Yes I know they need painting, this is just a test fit.

DSC_4006.JPG

Is that Her Maj in the left hand seat?

• Funny 5