Kernow Models D6xx Update

Andy Y

15 minutes ago, D9001 said:

It’s rather sobering to realise that in the 11 years between ordering mine and receiving it today, a fifth of my life has passed by and I probably have half the time left to enjoy it as I thought I would have.

nice model, though...

Some weren't so lucky

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, Ouroborus said:

Some weren't so lucky

Indeed. What prompted my thought was that I heard the other day that a good friend of mine had died. When I ordered D604 he was the same age as I am now. 

• Friendly/supportive 3

21 minutes ago, Silver Sidelines said:

Thanks John, I tend to agree.  Now the bonus question - how does Eclipse compare? 

40474523363_2265b8b683_b.jpg

Eclipse v Ark Royal

Interesting - it and the next photo show just how sensitive to lighting conditions this colour is.

In the first photo, I'd go for D604, but in the second photo D816 has the edge.

I do think that D816 has the correct shade of bufferbeam red - the Kernow version is, IMHO, too 'cherry' red. WR red was distinctly orangey in shade.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• RMweb Gold

I agree that the detail on D601 is exceptional, but there was not so much detail to capture on the D800 model. 

I'm really pleased with my long awaited Ark Royal - it runs as well as it looks!

Bazza

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, The Stationmaster said:

I understand from 'an informed source'  that there should be D6XX aplenty on sale at a large building in north London tomorrow and on Sunday. 

Mike, you'll be pleased to know that I'm now in a position to replicate your sighting of the West of England TPO...

• Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, St Enodoc said:

Mike, you'll be pleased to know that I'm now in a position to replicate your sighting of the West of England TPO...

Excellent stuff - although I did see it on the other side of the Tamar (but by less than 20 chains) from the county in which you will be portraying it.  Must look at the layout thread!!!!!!

• Thanks 1

The MOL TRUTH seems to have been stationary of the Chinese coast for the last 4 days. Looks like it is waiting for a pick-up / drop-off in Luanzhou. It's scheduled to be at the Suez Canal on Tuesday evening which seems a bit of a push. I suspect that it wont be arriving in Southampton 6th April...

https://www.vesselfinder.com/?imo=9773210

No Rush!

Luke 

27 minutes ago, luke_stevens said:

The MOL TRUTH seems to have been stationary of the Chinese coast for the last 4 days. Looks like it is waiting for a pick-up / drop-off in Luanzhou. It's scheduled to be at the Suez Canal on Tuesday evening which seems a bit of a push. I suspect that it wont be arriving in Southampton 6th April...

https://www.vesselfinder.com/?imo=9773210

No Rush!

Luke 

Actually it is thousands of miles away entering the Gulf of Aden.

https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/home/shipid:5194682/zoom:10

I found that when vesselfinder doesn't receive any updated info it puts the ship back to the same position off the Chinese coast.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

19 minutes ago, jsp3970 said:

Actually it is thousands of miles away entering the Gulf of Aden.

https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/home/shipid:5194682/zoom:10

I found that when vesselfinder doesn't receive any updated info it puts the ship back to the same position off the Chinese coast.

Phew! i was starting to wonder if it had sunk...

Lets hope it doesn't run into pirates!

L

Lets hope it doesn't run into pirates!

Do not forget that there are at least 1500 men o' war in the area to see them off, they should make short work of any pirates.

Julian  

Edited by MG 7305

8 hours ago, D9001 said:

Indeed. What prompted my thought was that I heard the other day that a good friend of mine had died. When I ordered D604 he was the same age as I am now. 

My sincere condolences on the loss of your friend.

A timely reminder that:

Ain't no time like the present

These are just toy trains

We're not here long

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
On 18/03/2019 at 22:27, charliepetty said:

Just trialing a new sound decoder for the Class 41.     Charlie (www.dckits-devideos.co.uk)   Runs nicely.

Charlie 

I bought one at the weekend, sounds good. I never saw one, let alone remember what it sounded like, so was wondering how you generated the sound file? 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, stephennicholson said:

Charlie 

I bought one at the weekend, sounds good. I never saw one, let alone remember what it sounded like, so was wondering how you generated the sound file? 

Diesel hydraulics are probably even more awkward for sound reproduction than diesel-electrics because of the relationship between engine noise and the workings of the transmission.  So unless there is some very sophisticated sound mixing, which might not necessarily work in conjunction with some controllers because of the dependency on how the loco is driven, it can be difficult to catch the full sounds from anything other than a moving loco which has a load behind it and is subject to gear changes.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 25/03/2019 at 11:38, The Stationmaster said:

Diesel hydraulics are probably even more awkward for sound reproduction than diesel-electrics because of the relationship between engine noise and the workings of the transmission.  So unless there is some very sophisticated sound mixing, which might not necessarily work in conjunction with some controllers because of the dependency on how the loco is driven, it can be difficult to catch the full sounds from anything other than a moving loco which has a load behind it and is subject to gear changes.

Absolutely Mike. Have had discussions with Bryan who does Howes sound files on this very subject . His MAN file is from a DE and lacks transmission changes . The best I have is a Class 22 project from a good friend on this forum - he has also given me a Class 43 file but havent loaded that yet but if it is the same quality then it will probably be better

WIll load it in to a loco for the Cheltenham show - there doing DCC demo - if anyone wants to hear it

Cheers

Phil

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 25/03/2019 at 11:38, The Stationmaster said:

So what happens on a 20 MPH run? Would it change out of 1st gear or stick in 1st and burn more fuel?

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, bigherb said:

So what happens on a 20 MPH run? Would it change out of 1st gear or stick in 1st and burn more fuel?

I don't know the speed ranges on the D6XX transmission but I suspect the first change point can't have been far away from that speed.  Anybody got a set of training notes for them?