Kernow Models D6xx Update

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

I don't know the speed ranges on the D6XX transmission but I suspect the first change point can't have been far away from that speed.  Anybody got a set of training notes for them?

Mike, 29 mph and 57 mph according to this page:

http://www.greatwestern.org.uk/d600m_in.htm

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Dubaimike said:

Are the class 14 and class 22 sound effects in this video authentic? I ask because I'm sure the sound which accompanies the class 37 leaving the Dean Forest is of a class 25.

Yes indeed that class 37 footage certainly has a class 25 soundtrack 

Neil 

• RMweb Premium

I generally use Lenz decoders they can handle most motors and give nice smooth running, they are not the cheapest but are superbly made.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, 7013 said:

I generally use Lenz decoders they can handle most motors and give nice smooth running, they are not the cheapest but are superbly made.

I haven’t tried Lenz before so I’ll give one a go. Thanks for the tip. 

3 hours ago, TrevorP1 said:

I haven’t tried Lenz before so I’ll give one a go. Thanks for the tip. 

The Lenz Standard has been my constant purchase as the lowest price for high grade motor drive (which is pretty much all I require, mostly running steam). At about £16 until quite recently - now about £19 - it was real steal. Downside for many, only in eight pin wired format. Doesn't bother me as I hardwire most models because the manufacturers are still often clumsy in their decoder socket positioning and internal space provision for decoders.

It took some years for a price competitor to emerge, but now the Zimo MX600 series are available with the considerable benefit of a choice of connector formats, all at the same price, typically £20. Same style of high grade motor drive, and even more adjustment refinement, (which you won't need on an intrinsically smooth running competent centre motor drive such as this Kernow model has; but a good capability to have available if you want a less sophisticated mechanism 'tamed').

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
28 minutes ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

The Lenz Standard has been my constant purchase as the lowest price for high grade motor drive (which is pretty much all I require, mostly running steam). At about £16 until quite recently - now about £19 - it was real steal. Downside for many, only in eight pin wired format. Doesn't bother me as I hardwire most models because the manufacturers are still often clumsy in their decoder socket positioning and internal space provision for decoders.

It took some years for a price competitor to emerge, but now the Zimo MX600 series are available with the considerable benefit of a choice of connector formats, all at the same price, typically £20. Same style of high grade motor drive, and even more adjustment refinement, (which you won't need on an intrinsically smooth running competent centre motor drive such as this Kernow model has; but a good capability to have available if you want a less sophisticated mechanism 'tamed').

Thank you. Another one to consider. 

• RMweb Premium

I grabbed a few moments at our club rooms before the start of our junior modellers club that I run, to record my Warship with Sound added (purchased from DC Kits/Legobiffoman at Ally Pally). Ignore extraneous mobile phone sounds and derailing coaches!

Hopefully those of you on this thread can pass comment on how accurate you think the sound is.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

It doesn't really sound like a diesel hydraulic to me - no revving up as it gets a grip of the train to start away and no hint of a change of engine note for a gear change.  Mind you it's one heck of a long time since I last heard a D6XX and not far short of 61 years since I first heard one so memories do change a a bit

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, stephennicholson said:

I grabbed a few moments at our club rooms before the start of our junior modellers club that I run, to record my Warship with Sound added (purchased from DC Kits/Legobiffoman at Ally Pally). Ignore extraneous mobile phone sounds and derailing coaches!

Hopefully those of you on this thread can pass comment on how accurate you think the sound is.

Sounds a bit like a German BR215 to me, especially when idling. 

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

"It doesn't really sound like a diesel hydraulic to me - no revving up as it gets a grip of the train to start away and no hint of a change of engine note for a gear change.  Mind you it's one heck of a long time since I last heard a D6XX and not far short of 61 years since I first heard one so memories do change a a bit

Edited 8 hours ago by The Stationmaster"

My D800 has youchoos sound with a couple of "set off" sounds which might be needed here?

"I used to stay with my grandparents near the GWR main line west of Plymouth in the 1960s. I heard the trains more often than I saw them. The D600s were relatively common but it didn't hear anything which sounded like that. Sorry.

Geoff Endacott"

Looks like I will need get the chip reblown when someone comes up with a better reproduction. In the meantime I will enjoy because as still sounds quite good.

"Sounds a bit like a German BR215 to me, especially when idling."

A quick google says thats a Maybach engine but same transmission. Maybe it is a german locomotive with Man + Voith? 

Edited by stephennicholson
addition
  • Like 1

I received mine a week ago but have only just found the time to run it in. Really pleased and looks the part on a train of mk1's. never saw an all green one but I wanted something appropraite for my 'special' trains that appear inbetwen the 1930's stuff. I did see a blue one hauling a breakdwon crane, when I was quite young and may be convinced to part with more cash.

Mike Wiltshire

591668152_NBL1m.jpg.5b93059e5153ece63ea458a52518c08e.jpgNBL_2m.jpg.ef38306b8e94f77e1c47466734682646.jpg

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Was going to buy the DC kits sound chip myself, however after the comments I may wait to see if anyone works on the sound to make it more authentic. Always difficult if there are no decent recordings of the prototype.

• Like 1