Kernow Models D6xx Update

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

Mine is in the second batch too. The ship docked last weekend but customs clearance has to happen. Hopefully the models will arrive with Kernow in the next few days.

I have seen one of the first batch models in the flesh and I cannot wait for mine.

I spoke to Kernow Models on Saturday at Long Rock Depot open day where they were selling green D6XXs where they once stood and were serviced, they hope to have the blue ones and be sending them out by Thursday I was told.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

It’s going to be a busy Easter for Kernow if the blue ones arrive on Thursday. They are hard at it setting up the Guildford shop to open in a few days as well as offering the normal service from Camborne. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

When my green 'Ark Royal' arrived I was extremely pleased with the fidelity to the prototype and the excellent running - but somehow it failed to 'thrill'.

It's been sitting on my test track above my workbench ever since, and I've been contemplating it when working on another project. That other project was completed today, and I was applying the final coat of Klear.

It suddenly struck me what 'Ark Royal' lacked - the matt finish was so dull and lifeless ! A single coat of Klear has transformed it; it now looks as if it was ex-works a week or so ago, and has has acquired a little tonal variation due to road dust and the odd rain shower.

I am now inspired to get on and fit the details, and run it in on the rolling road.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 6

• RMweb Premium

There are numerous coatings to alter the finished appearance. I use none. I learned early on in my weathering career that lightly applied powder which is then both worked in and buffed almost totally away will leave a shinier and very slightly “used” finish short of being fully weathered. Just a thought. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium

Just posted on Kernow's Facebook page:

The second batch of D600 Warships has arrived and we are processing pre-orders in the date they were paid for - you can also place a new order as there is stock available at present

• Like 1

I was just reading the review of the D600s in Rail Express and was wondering if the headcode fonts for the D600s were different to the rest of the BR diesel fleet. The blue model shows 4V29 and the '9' has a curved 'tail'. On all the headcodes I've seen the 'tail' is straight and angled rather than curved. It seems a shame if (yet again) the incorrect font has been used.

• RMweb Gold
30 minutes ago, pinzaboy said:

I was just reading the review of the D600s in Rail Express and was wondering if the headcode fonts for the D600s were different to the rest of the BR diesel fleet. The blue model shows 4V29 and the '9' has a curved 'tail'. On all the headcodes I've seen the 'tail' is straight and angled rather than curved. It seems a shame if (yet again) the incorrect font has been used.

I can’t answer for the D600s, but early three character headcodes on D800s have curled 6s and 9s.

Roy

• Informative/Useful 1

4 hours ago, Roy Langridge said:

Getting excited, picking up my D600 tomorrow morning :-)

Roy

hello is there any chance when you pick up you warship you could let us know the font type used in the head code boxes please ie is the 9 with a curly tale or straight to a angle thank you

• RMweb Premium

Rather than being concerned about the font used, I'm always more interested how easy it is to change the code to something appropriate to the use a loco will get on my layout(s). To me fitting appropriate reporting numbers is part of the commissioning process, as much as running in, fitting the detail parts and coding the chip.

Looking back, I never expected that my RTR hydraulic fleet would extend to cover anything beyond the "big three" classes, so the imminent arrival of a D600 is very much a bonus in my eyes.

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, Roy Langridge said:

Hi Roy  I would guess that the sample rail express reviewed was the first painted one and not the production one im hoping the isssue with the 9 has been retfyied mike

Edited by corsair

On 16/04/2019 at 16:52, cctransuk said:

When my green 'Ark Royal' arrived I was extremely pleased with the fidelity to the prototype and the excellent running - but somehow it failed to 'thrill'.

It's been sitting on my test track above my workbench ever since, and I've been contemplating it when working on another project. That other project was completed today, and I was applying the final coat of Klear.

It suddenly struck me what 'Ark Royal' lacked - the matt finish was so dull and lifeless ! A single coat of Klear has transformed it; it now looks as if it was ex-works a week or so ago, and has has acquired a little tonal variation due to road dust and the odd rain shower.

I am now inspired to get on and fit the details, and run it in on the rolling road.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Any chance of a piccie or two please John ?

I always appreciate seeing your work 

5 minutes ago, 217 RIVER FLESK said:

Just out of interest cctransuk, have you renumbered your Warship? It could just be the photos, but your pics appear to show your D601 as having vertical grilles, but I thought D601 came with horizontal grilles, where as it was D604 had the later vertical version.

Cheers, Mike C

No - straight out of the box, except for Peco Simplex couplings and a coat of Klear.

The upper grilles at each end are vertical.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Edited by cctransuk

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, corsair said:

hello is there any chance when you pick up you warship you could let us know the font type used in the head code boxes please ie is the 9 with a curly tale or straight to a angle thank you

Curly 9 on one end. Will post a pic later 

Roy 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, corsair said:

Curly 9 on one end. Will post a pic later 

Roy 

• Like 1