Kernow Models D6xx Update

Andy Y

3 hours ago, 217 RIVER FLESK said:

That's interesting, sounds as if you might have a bodyshell that was meant for D604 but was printed as D601, if I'm understanding Kernow's description of the models correctly. Must check mine at lunchtime - not that it bothers me one way or the other.

Cheers, Mike C

Just checked my two .

D601 definitely has horizontal grilles and D604 vertical grilles.

Richard

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, dibber25 said:

I haven't checked, but I think D601 was the one number which is available in green with either the original (horizontal) or the later (vertical) grilles. (CJL)

Ark Royal only currently available as:

K2601 Class 41 Warship Diesel Locomotive number D601 named "Ark Royal" in BR Green livery with no yellow ends, headcode disks and original louvres.

Which is what I received. Although previously had noticed in the included flyer on 601 says that the model is presented with the later style. Mysterious? Not going to loose any sleep as the variation doesnt matter to me particularly.

4 hours ago, 217 RIVER FLESK said:

Just out of interest cctransuk, have you renumbered your Warship? It could just be the photos, but your pics appear to show your D601 as having vertical grilles, but I thought D601 came with horizontal grilles, where as it was D604 had the later vertical version.

Cheers, Mike C

You are correct - nevertheless, my D601 has vertical upper grilles at each end on both sides.

1309549978_IMG_5551grilles.JPG.5311faeb3823ab5c5889890c94fa968d.JPG

Can anyone say for which period, if any, my model is correct?

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

You are correct - nevertheless, my D601 has vertical upper grilles at each end on both sides.

1309549978_IMG_5551grilles.JPG.5311faeb3823ab5c5889890c94fa968d.JPG

Can anyone say for which period, if any, my model is correct?

Regards,

John Isherwood.

As far as I know the model is correct for 'as built' condition. Modified to the later type about 1961 I believe.

2 hours ago, TrevorP1 said:

As far as I know the model is correct for 'as built' condition. Modified to the later type about 1961 I believe.

So - I have examined sixteen photos of D601; those that appear to be soon after introduction definitely have horizontal grilles; those that appear to be later definitely have vertical grilles at the outer upper ends.

My model has vertical grilles at the outer upper ends - that must make it :-

a) an oddity - not as illustrated on the Kernow website;

b) correct (?) for late 1961 onwards;

c) ideal for my intended modelling period - thanks Kernow!

Any comments?

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Edited by cctransuk
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

2 hours ago, Geoff Endacott said:

You seem to have the extremely rare version of D601 with later style grilles. Try asking £1,000 for it on eBay.

Geoff Endacott

I think that you may be correct !!

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Funny 1

On 17/04/2019 at 20:24, Roy Langridge said:

I can’t answer for the D600s, but early three character headcodes on D800s have curled 6s and 9s.

Roy

I quick skim through a number of publications suggests this is correct. The 'curly' lines are on the original 'slat' style indicator boards but not the subsequent 'roller blind' indicators. There is a picture of D601 with a curly 6 on a slat board (in '765') on page 6 of Modern Locomotives Illustrated 219, at Swindon works in April 1960.

• Informative/Useful 1

The two remaining versions, green with small yellow panel - K2602 and K2603, may be about to sneak in under the radar. The Kernow newsletter has been saying for several weeks that these are 'next to be produced' which indicated to me that they had not yet left the factory, however I checked the Kernow 'expected soon' link and both are showing as on board ship due into Southampton on 21 April. The only caveat is Kernow have them on the Hia Bnag Da 318, which seems to be currently in Hong Kong, but as far as I can see is a feeder vessel operating in south east Asia, so unlikely to sail to Europe. We shall have to see.

• RMweb Premium

Just had a quick look at my current pair in view of the comments above.  D601 is horizontal all round; D604 has vertical grilles where it should have them and the rest of course are horizontal.  The blue ones would appear to have been despatched today as I received two emails.  One has a parcel arriving Tuesday via DPD and the other on Tuesday via Royal Mail.  The Warships will be in one of those; the other should contain 37012 and a concrete footbridge.

15 hours ago, rembrow said:

The two remaining versions, green with small yellow panel - K2602 and K2603, may be about to sneak in under the radar. The Kernow newsletter has been saying for several weeks that these are 'next to be produced' which indicated to me that they had not yet left the factory, however I checked the Kernow 'expected soon' link and both are showing as on board ship due into Southampton on 21 April. The only caveat is Kernow have them on the Hia Bnag Da 318, which seems to be currently in Hong Kong, but as far as I can see is a feeder vessel operating in south east Asia, so unlikely to sail to Europe. We shall have to see.

Kernows message of 26th February 2019 said that K2600 and K2605 had left the factory and were on the Mol Trust which was expected in Southampton on 6th April, which is when it arrived. The message of 17th April says they've arrived in Camborne and are now being dispatched.

The message of 15th March 2019 says that the production of the final two versions are complete and that the next two models left the factory and are now on board the vessel HAI BANG DA 318 which is due to dock into Southampton around 21st April.  K2602 and K2603 are in this final shipment.

That message wasn't there on 15th March. Indeed it wasn't there on 6th April. so I suspect it may be inaccurate, not least as Hayley was on holiday and Kernow were attending 2 shows last weekend. If we advance the date by one month to 15th April with an expectation of arrival into Southampton on 21st May that makes more sense. The newsletter only said "Verisons next to be completed" K2602 and K2603

This link shows HAI BANG DA 318 and I'd rather they didn't come all the way from Hong-Kong on this!

https://www.fleetmon.com/vessels/hai-bang-da-88_0_2627866/

Luke

14 hours ago, luke_stevens said:

Kernows message of 26th February 2019 said that K2600 and K2605 had left the factory and were on the Mol Trust which was expected in Southampton on 6th April, which is when it arrived. The message of 17th April says they've arrived in Camborne and are now being dispatched.

The message of 15th March 2019 says that the production of the final two versions are complete and that the next two models left the factory and are now on board the vessel HAI BANG DA 318 which is due to dock into Southampton around 21st April.  K2602 and K2603 are in this final shipment.

That message wasn't there on 15th March. Indeed it wasn't there on 6th April. so I suspect it may be inaccurate, not least as Hayley was on holiday and Kernow were attending 2 shows last weekend. If we advance the date by one month to 15th April with an expectation of arrival into Southampton on 21st May that makes more sense. The newsletter only said "Verisons next to be completed" K2602 and K2603

This link shows HAI BANG DA 318 and I'd rather they didn't come all the way from Hong-Kong on this!

https://www.fleetmon.com/vessels/hai-bang-da-88_0_2627866/

Luke

hi luke you have the wrong ship if you look back a few pages you will find my post with the correct ship but i have my doughts if they were on this ship all it does is goes from china to hong kong mike

9 minutes ago, corsair said:

hi luke you have the wrong ship if you look back a few pages you will find my post with the correct ship but i have my doughts if they were on this ship all it does is goes from china to hong kong mike

I looked back and the only post I could find in which you mention a ship is the following, which only mentions the HAI BANG DA 318.

On 09/04/2019 at 17:24, corsair said:

Dont know if any one is following the next shipment on the hai bang da318 ive been looking at it but it only seems to go between china and hong kong i have spoke to kernow they confirm its on that ship im gussing it was on that ship from china to hong kong then has been transfered to another ship also whilst serching for the hai bang i found that the ship is or was for sale to be honest looking at the photos it dosnt look like the sort of ship that would come to southampton.

3 hours ago, corsair said:

Hi Mike,

Which is the other ship? I didn't notice a different name, but a better boat would be better!

Luke

I have just fitted a Zen 21 pin decoder to my splendid Blue D600 ,but the headcode box lighting does not illuminate,all other lighting effects are ok.

id be interested if anyone else has the same problem, Can’t find any other help at the moment, I’m sure they worked in DC mode.

will remove the body and fit blanking plate to check if necessary, but do not like removing body to much as it is quite a tight fit.