Kernow Models D6xx Update

Andy Y

Straying a bit from the models but trying to sort out which one of the two it was that as a twelve year old I crawled all over at Barry it was Blue I am sure? As I couldn't believe such "new" thing was in the scrap yard.And what I can remember is that the cylinder heads were off as I could peer down at the pistons, "Ginormous to a kid"

interested to know if anyone knows which one it might be so I can buy a souvenir of it from Cornwall, but not in the same condition! I might add !

At the time I didn't waste any film from my Ilford sportsman on such a thing !

2 minutes ago, Graham456 said:

Straying a bit from the models but trying to sort out which one of the two it was that as a twelve year old I crawled all over at Barry it was Blue I am sure? As I couldn't believe such "new" thing was in the scrap yard.And what I can remember is that the cylinder heads were off as I could peer down at the pistons, "Ginormous to a kid"

interested to know if anyone knows which one it might be so I can buy a souvenir of it from Cornwall, but not in the same condition! I might add !

At the time I didn't waste any film from my Ilford sportsman on such a thing !

D600.  It was cut up fairly quickly, leaving D601 to languish for years....

https://www.flickr.com/photos/taffytank/6345613168

Edited by 'CHARD

I also saw it - went on a school trip to Barry Island, from Church Street Junior School.  Not sure what year, but I remember visiting the Museum of Wales (boring) the coach parked next to the scrap yard, and I couldn't believe a blue diesel was in there.  I also got sunburn - in Barry Island?  Second unbelievable event of the day.

• Funny 1

The arrival of the D600 models have started me looking at photographs of it in blue livery and I cannot see where the maker's plates ended up when displaced from the nose.  I believe that all the other NB hydraulics (D63xx) had them moved to the centre bottom position (would be sole bar if not covered) once the nose position was required for logos or numbers.  Any offers?

Julian

18 hours ago, luke_stevens said:

We have an answer...

"Sorry I don't know the answer to the technical part.  We have been using Dapol Imperium or Lenz Silver.  Bachmann 36-557 is not suitable, hope this helps.  Regards Chris"

On first reading this sound negative , but it isn't! It confirms that f3 and f4 are treated as logic outputs :)

Dapol Imperium has 6 functions, with f3 and f4 being logic

Lenz Silver only has 5 functions

There are 2 different versions of the Bachmann 36-557. The earlier one shouldn't work but the later one should.

ESU Loksound V5 do 2 versions of the 21pin one for each requirement with "58429 LokSound 5 DCC 21MTC" being the correct one

ESU LokPilot has 6 functions; 4 power and 2 logic.

Zimo's MX634 can be changed from on to the other with CV 8

DCC Concepts are all powered functions so wont operate f3 and f4 as logic

In terms of others the Zimo website has available a download of the Hornby Magazine review of 21pin decoders from August 18 which is very useful!

http://www.zimo.at/web2010/aboutus/Hornby Magazine 08.18 p34-37.pdf

(I hope I can post this here. If not can Mods please advise and I'll remove)

More info on the 21pin decoder

https://dccwiki.com/21MTC_Connector

Hopefully this had made things more clear not less!

Luke

PS I have no link with any manufactures :)

Thanks Luke for bothering to chase this up , I will be buying a new/ different 21 pin then 

thanks very much.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, brenn said:

is there anyway of get the glazing lens out to repaint?

Ive not tried to pop it out, but its a 3 piece affair... first the “box” as part of the body moulding shape, then a square cover over the top of the box (with delicate handrails) with a separate lens painted in black except the outline numbers.

i think the square cover looks a bit oversize myself (a scale 6inches thick for a cover), and the Headcode boxes should be slightly further inwards.

to change the headcode I think looks straight forwards, remove the box, pop the lens and replace with a.other, perhaps with a clear lens and use Transfers ?

Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Gold

Looking at the pictures of them in Barry, over the years they were progressively stripped. I presume it wasnt the scrappies as theyd just go through the bodywork to gain access...

so if it was nicked,theres a bunch of D600 bits, presumably amongst the various  steam loco parts “acquired” in the line of duty ?

13 minutes ago, D9001 said:

Surely that number 4 on D600’s headcode is not prototypical in typeface? It looks like a European 4 rather than the  4 used on BR headcodes? 

According to the BR Headcode font that I have, the vertical stroke should continue up to the full height of the character, and the angled stroke should be less inclined and connect with the vertical stroke.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

44 minutes ago, D9001 said:

Surely that number 4 on D600’s headcode is not prototypical in typeface? It looks like a European 4 rather than the  4 used on BR headcodes? 

The technical term for it is "wrong".

Geoff Endacott

Edited by Geoff Endacott
  • Agree 1

Head codes any one on this subject should refer to my post on page 61 there is a pic of D600 head code the real loco I did not take the photo but full credit should go to the photographer mike. Ps there are several numbers letters that are wrong on the model so any one wishing to change to correct font should do so if they want it as the real locos 

Edited by corsair

• RMweb Gold

On the headcodes then we have

D600 BFYE 4M85 and 4V29

D602 BSYP 1C75 and 5C53

They don't look like the best chosen to me, but apart from 1C75 (12:30 Padd - Penz in 1966) does anyone know what actual workings they were?

Edit: I only have WTT for 1968/69, but 5C53 appears to a late evening ecs working from Falmouth to Truro, though normally it would have been a DMU. I aware of the Exe Rail photo on Kernow's website showing this ID in use - perhaps it was a rescue job? 

D600 needs changing regardless, due to the wrong '4'. Has anyone actually tackled this yet?

Edited by stovepipe
More info

• RMweb Gold
On 26/04/2019 at 11:58, MG 7305 said:

The arrival of the D600 models have started me looking at photographs of it in blue livery and I cannot see where the maker's plates ended up when displaced from the nose.  I believe that all the other NB hydraulics (D63xx) had them moved to the centre bottom position (would be sole bar if not covered) once the nose position was required for logos or numbers.  Any offers?

Julian

D600 "Active" and D601 "Ark Royal" at Barry - Scan

Looks like centre bottom in this picture of D600 at Barry by Lombardstown on Flickr

Phil

Edited by Phil Bullock
Spelling
  • Agree 1

Brilliant, and very many thanks for finding this picture,  The shots I had found did not show the "shadow", it being indistinct due the plate being fitted there for only 8 months.  I now know where to fix my NB makers plates (as and when Kernow deliver the model.)  As an aside, I have found that double sided sticky tape is more forgiving than any glue for fixing plates.

Best regards

Julian

Edited by MG 7305
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, MG 7305 said:

Brilliant, and very many thanks for finding this picture,  The shots I had found did not show the "shadow", it being indistinct due the plate being fitted there for only 8 months.  I now know where to fix my NB makers plates (as and when Kernow deliver the model.)  As an aside, I have found that double sided sticky tape is more forgiving than any glue for fixing plates.

Best regards

Julian

The nameplates are prefitted to the model.

the worksplates too on D602, but the blue D600 doesn’t have any (fitted, printed or in the box).

Yes, I know, hence my original question kindly answered by Phil.  All the other NB hydraulics which had their makers plates displaced when painted blue with the new logo and numbers requiring the space.  The D600 model does not have makers plates fitted so I wondered if it was unique.  Not so, the maker's plates were indeed moved to the middle bottom of the bodywork, essentially the same (or lowest) point as the D8xx Warships and D63xx painted blue.  See below.  I will be adding such plates to my D600 when it arrives.

Best regards

Julian

image.png

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, TEDDYBEAR D9521 said:

These photos of D600 and D602 in BR blue show D600 without plates but D602 has them under the Drivers cab window.

5189CFB4-0AB9-47B3-84C2-8666B429C2E5.jpeg

EBF4AC3A-5E95-42E9-B98C-AA4CE62C0D4B.jpeg

But, with respect, one photo does not tell the whole story. The RCTS archive has a black and white photo of D600 at Barry where, whilst the plate is gone, you can see where the bolts were present. Now, that photo shows the other side to that above, so perhaps it only carried a plate on one side?

Roy

• Informative/Useful 1

Had an email yesterday (Sunday) afternoon to say my other model has been packed ready to dispatch, now that is dedication and proves they are working their backsides off trying to get the models out to customers/clearing space in the store room*.

* Delete as applicable to your own mindset.