Kernow Models D6xx Update

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium

Yes Metadyneman I agree slagged was a bit strong.I hold Kernow in the highest regard. Sometimes these things get out of hand when there is a problem. Yes running a loco with 8-9 on for an hour is not normal practice for most running sessions.My locos tend to run with around six coaches for 15-20 minutes, freight tends to be 20-30 wagons running over a bit longer. So far I have run my Ark Royal for around an hour non stop on DC, on DCC. I have run it for 10-15 minutes with six coaches . I am awaiting ‘Conquest’ which I am sure will be every bit as good as Ark Royal.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, 7013 said:

Yes Metadyneman I agree slagged was a bit strong.I hold Kernow in the highest regard. Sometimes these things get out of hand when there is a problem. Yes running a loco with 8-9 on for an hour is not normal practice for most running sessions.My locos tend to run with around six coaches for 15-20 minutes, freight tends to be 20-30 wagons running over a bit longer. So far I have run my Ark Royal for around an hour non stop on DC, on DCC. I have run it for 10-15 minutes with six coaches . I am awaiting ‘Conquest’ which I am sure will be every bit as good as Ark Royal.

I don't think anyone was 'slagging' Kernow at all. In fact I would praise them. I quickly received a message from Greg advising that it was OK to bridge the fuse and another one confirming that removal of the fuse would not invalidate any warranty. Just to confirm I had the issue with no load at all just the loco running on my programming track on a rolling road setup.

Thanks to everybody for all the advice and the resolution to the issue.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

As it seems to have been confirmed above that by removing and bridging the polyswitch one is not invalidating the guarantee, are we now to interpret that this is acceptable and official guidance from Kernow on how to alleviate the problem? I haven't heard anything other than what Paul has advised above. Mind you in the greater scheme of things I'm not that bothered  as mine is running as sweet as a nut and performed well again yesterday afternoon in the warm sunshine with 8 up round the garden.

• Like 1

Just wanted to post another example of excellent customer service from Kernow Models.

I bought my K2601 D601 Ark Royal from their Guildford shop on its opening weekend.

on returning home I spotted a moulding fault on the roof at the no.2 end.

I emailed Kernow asking where to send the model and if it was OK to just send the body.

Greg replied within 20 minutes, apologised and said it was fine to just send the body to their Camborne address.

3 working days later I have received a perfect replacement, and the return postage cost has been credited to my account with them. Couldn’t ask for better service.

Having the body off gave me the chance to fit a Dapol Imperium Decoder, and I am happy to report that I am fully satisfied with this model.

• Like 5

On 11/05/2019 at 02:32, jsp3970 said:

Is that when you paid for it? I ask as they are going by the date they were paid for, not ordered.

Not sure about that,i ordwred mine very early but paid for it very late! About the last week you could get the discount.

Anyway,mines is on its way,or they might just have been slaving away all weekend.

• RMweb Premium

I read somewhere in the thread that the fuse could be swapped for one of a higher amperage. Assuming the supplied fuse is 1 amp what would be the next one up and where would you purchase from?

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, 7013 said:

I read somewhere in the thread that the fuse could be swapped for one of a higher amperage. Assuming the supplied fuse is 1 amp what would be the next one up and where would you purchase from?

RS Components have some as do Farnell. I don't think it is as simple as just getting the next size up, it needs to match the motor and, if you are using one, decoder. I don't know what the rating of the motor is, but if you are on pure DC, the fuse shouldn't allow more than the motor can handle. If on DCC, then you want a fuse that matches the decoder requirements. I think Richard said the Loksound 5 was 1.5 amp.

You also need to look at the holding current. The current device has a 0.5amp holding current. I have not found a bigger resettable fuse with that holding current yet. I have found 1.25amp fuses with a 0.55amp holding current, 1.4amp with 0.7amp holding and 1.5amp with 0.75amp holding. This seems to suggest that the holding current is half the tripping current. I don't know what impact there would be putting a 1.5 amp resettable fuse in with a 0.75amp holding current.

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/c/fuses-sockets-circuit-breakers/fuses-pcb/resettable-wire-ended-fuses/

They generally cost less than 50p each, but seem to come as a minimum of 10. I guess there could be a group purchase rather than everybody end up with 10.

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge
Updated link

What about removing the fuse from where it is and putting a piece of wire there but then put the fuse into the lead going to the motor? You'd be moving it from before the decoder to after. It would still be "right" for the motor but wouldn't be effected by light or speaker current draw.

Possible?

Luke

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, luke_stevens said:

What about removing the fuse from where it is and putting a piece of wire there but then put the fuse into the lead going to the motor? You'd be moving it from before the decoder to after. It would still be "right" for the motor but wouldn't be effected by light or speaker current draw.

Possible?

Luke

I raised the possibility of that in an earlier thread but it would need to be looked at, but I don't see why it shouldn't work, I wouldn't suggest just bridging the current fuse for DCC unless the decoder has overload protection built in.

Roy

• Like 1

On 14/05/2019 at 09:46, class29returns said:

Not sure about that,i ordwred mine very early but paid for it very late! About the last week you could get the discount.

Anyway,mines is on its way,or they might just have been slaving away all weekend.

This is from the weekly newsletter of April 26, 2019.

We are processing pre-orders in strict date order of when they were paid for.

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, Roy Langridge said:

I raised the possibility of that in an earlier thread but it would need to be looked at, but I don't see why it shouldn't work, I wouldn't suggest just bridging the current fuse for DCC unless the decoder has overload protection built in.

I might have been a better idea to have put the fuse on the blanking plug/pcb as any dcc decoder worth fitting will have overload protection built in. It would not then have caused an issue with DCC fitted locos etc ....

or not use a coreless motor in the first place, but then DJ always seemed to like them

1 hour ago, RedgateModels said:

or not use a coreless motor in the first place, but then DJ always seemed to like them

Yes, he did, unfortunately. The problem is not only confined to DCC fitted, it has also happened on straight DC.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The coreless motor in the D6xx Warships appears to work for the most part faultlessly, certainly better than the DJM coreless motor in the Cl71. DJM was ousted from this project at an early stage, I presume it was Kernows decision to continue with it as they could have changed it. 

Took my Ark Royal to our club test track today and ran it for 2+ hours with six Bachmann Mk1s ( I rarely run more than six in a rake anyway) on at scale speeds of 80/90 mph. It ran beautifully with full sounds and lights, no sign of overheating, tripping out etc. I for one am a very happy person.

Edited by 7013
  • Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

On ‎14‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 17:46, class29returns said:

About the last week you could get the discount.

I might be tempted when they get discounted again! :)

4 hours ago, RedgateModels said:

Someone said,  “No matter how fast technology advances the world will always find a more advanced idiot.” I couldn’t possibly comment.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 1

Mine arrived yesterday,it was from the final batch.The service from Kernow was exemplary. They have been fantastic sticking with this project.

I notice that on the literature inside the box one of the leaflets had Bachmann Branchline on it. I wasn't aware that Bachmann were involved in this, or did they take over when the others failed ?

1 minute ago, Richard Croft said:

They weren't I dont think, more likely to have been put in by mistake if it was opened in the shop.

Richard

It was leaflet about the particular model which is why I was a little surprised.

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, Bilbo said:

It was leaflet about the particular model which is why I was a little surprised.

You sure that wasn't just Kernow's leaflet about their limited editions, the D600 being one and some others being made by Bachmann (47s for example)? None of my leaflets mention Bachmann.

Roy

Warship.jpg.e11f649a6603e01060fcea490041d2cc.jpg

This is the document and looking at it the number at the bottom suggests it may be a limited edition certificate unless of course everyone has one with 150 on it. No getting away from the Bachmann logo at the top though

• Informative/Useful 3

Well that probably confirms its a limited edition certificate. It hadn't crossed my mind about one being included. It doesn't explain the Bachmann Branchline reference though.

Edited by Bilbo