Kernow Models D6xx Update

Andy Y

Looks to me like that 'oops' that afflicts us in magazine publishing from time to time - someone worked into an old document on the computer and changed the picture and the text but not the heading. Then, when the proof gets read, the proof-reader misses it, simply because its big. We have a saying, "the bigger the type, the bigger the c--k up" (CJL)

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 3

It looks as if D602 has the Bachmann logo; D601 (mine) has not. Not only are the certificates individually numbered, they change with the model. The picture is of the original locomotive concerned and the history is specific to the locomotive too. A nice job, although the D601 certificate has a minor clang. It reads, “During 1960 the horizontal air intakes on the bodyside were replaced with vertical air intakes and it is in this condition our model is presented.” D601 has horizontal intakes. D602s certificate, as illustrated, omits the words from “and it is in this condition” onwards.

9 hours ago, No Decorum said:

It reads, “During 1960 the horizontal air intakes on the bodyside were replaced with vertical air intakes and it is in this condition our model is presented.” D601 has horizontal intakes.

As I mentioned before, my (unique?) D601 has vertical air intakes - so is spot-on for my 1961 modelling period.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, dibber25 said:

Looks to me like that 'oops' that afflicts us in magazine publishing from time to time - someone worked into an old document on the computer and changed the picture and the text but not the heading. Then, when the proof gets read, the proof-reader misses it, simply because its big. We have a saying, "the bigger the type, the bigger the c--k up" (CJL)

I reckon that this makes the models more collectible and valuable.  My dad collected stamps and those rare ones with flaws achieved high valuations.  

So so if you want an exclusive with a rare certificate, buy one now!

(Chris T isn’t giving me commission, by the way!)

Andrew

27 minutes ago, mevaman1 said:

I reckon that this makes the models more collectible and valuable.  My dad collected stamps and those rare ones with flaws achieved high valuations.  

So so if you want an exclusive with a rare certificate, buy one now!

(Chris T isn’t giving me commission, by the way!)

Andrew

I recall, many years ago, my boss, Steve Stratten received a Lesney Liptons Tea Van for review. It had the 'By appointment' Royal cypher on the doors, but Lesney hadn't got permission and when the models went on sale, the cypher had been deleted. Steve hung on to his as he thought it would be really rare. However, within weeks the permission was granted and the cypher reappeared, so the really rare ones are the ones WITHOUT the cypher! (CJL)

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

22 minutes ago, dibber25 said:

I recall, many years ago, my boss, Steve Stratten received a Lesney Liptons Tea Van for review. It had the 'By appointment' Royal cypher on the doors, but Lesney hadn't got permission and when the models went on sale, the cypher had been deleted. Steve hung on to his as he thought it would be really rare. However, within weeks the permission was granted and the cypher reappeared, so the really rare ones are the ones WITHOUT the cypher! (CJL)

Reminds me of Dr Seuss's Sneeches. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Anyone removed the headcode box surround yet to replace the headcodes? Just had a quick look and it does not readily prise off with a fingernail. Hope to look at my two back end of next week.

neil 

• RMweb Premium

Received ‘Conquest’ today. This was ordered by my late great friend Rod Maguire. Sadly he never saw it come to fruition. Whatever siding, platform or shed you are looking from Rod  I can assure you it was worth the wait old friend.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Gold

Ark Royal now sold out

http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/p/29997/K2601_Dapol_Class_41_Warship_Diesel_Locomotive_number_D601

a popular choice!

My Kernow Newsletter this afternoon said just 3 were left, by the time I checked around 4pm there was just 1, now none.

cheers,

Keith

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Downendian said:

Anyone removed the headcode box surround yet to replace the headcodes? Just had a quick look and it does not readily prise off with a fingernail. Hope to look at my two back end of next week.

neil 

Exactly what I've been doing this week! I had to use the rear of a scalpel blade to leaver off the headcode box from the door side of the nose. The glazing is lightly glued in place but comes loose with a firm push of a cocktail stick when the headcode box in on a firm surface. The headcode is printed ion the back of the glazing and after am unsucessful attempt to lift the paint with thinners I used several sanding stick with ever reducing grit size to polish the glasing back to transparent.

For the headcodes I'm using the Precision Labels ones http://www.precisionlabels.com/l41.html. Not sure if I'm using the 3.6mm or 4.0mm back-lit version, just what i had in stock.

Hope that helps.

Luke  

• Thanks 1

Work in progress

Left to right, sitting on the pack of Precision Labels Headcode pack

a) noriginal Kernow, b) solvent cleaned and broken glazing, c) sanded glazing, d) Precision Labels head code made up and fitted, e) Precision Labels headcode made up but note yet trimmed to size

D600_hc_1.jpg

And looking like Oedipus...

D600 hc 2.jpg

Edited by luke_stevens
matching notes to photos correctly 2
  • Like 6

On 08/05/2019 at 13:21, metadyneman said:

The plot thickens!  I have now managed to replicate the problem running my D600 on DC without a decoder (using a Gaugemaster model D power controller) so the problem is definitely with the loco not the decoders I am using. I had the loco running round the layout with the same rake of 8 Bachmann blue grey mark1 coaches as yesterday and although it took a little longer, the loco eventually ground to a halt and behaved exactly the same way as it did with the decoder. I have resorted to calling Kernow models and I'm now returning my loco to them for either replacement or diagnosis and repair. They still maintain that they have only had a small number of people with problems only relating to sound decoders and it would therefore seem that my problem hasn't really surfaced in any great numbers with them so it is very important if anyone else is experiencing problems that they make Kernow models aware of it so that this matter can be resolved once and for all. Suffice to say after the huge success of the Bulleid diesel, this one is very disappointing so far. Once I have received the loco back from Kernow I will report back with my findings. They seem a little shy on admitting that there is a problem and one clearly seems to be emerging.

Just had mine this morning exactly the same fault running on DC will be send ing it back for fixing superb Loco tho

• RMweb Premium

My D602 Bulldog arrived this AM, with a Dapol Imperium decoder fitted by Kernow; it has had a running in turn of well over 1 hour in one direction and about 3/4hr. in the opposite direction. Its behaviour seems exemplary, so I have attached a rake of 7 Bachmann Mk.1s which will have the same running periods. The unit seems well-oiled (!) but there is a slight transmission noise coming from it. I expect this noise to disappear after being running in due course. I have the same Bachmann logo on the loco description pamphlet, and the packaging suggests Bachmann all over it. Pity Ark Royal has sold out, perhaps Chris will be authorising a further production run? Superb models at first glance.

• RMweb Premium

Kernow packaging has been the same for all the stock I have had over the last few years, I don’t think Bachmann have made all their models.

• Agree 1

On 24/05/2019 at 18:15, tractionman said:

Ark Royal now sold out

http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/p/29997/K2601_Dapol_Class_41_Warship_Diesel_Locomotive_number_D601

a popular choice!

My Kernow Newsletter this afternoon said just 3 were left, by the time I checked around 4pm there was just 1, now none.

cheers,

Keith

No wonder its took a long time - 2 manufacturers......

D602 Certificate Bachmann,

D601 - Dapol?  (from Web address above!) I suppose from the days when Dapol were to produce it!

Regards,

C.

• RMweb Premium

I suppose when it comes down to it the manufacturer is irrelevant as long as it’s a good model. The few issues discussed (and mostly resolved) on here reflect a tiny percentage of those sold and that are running perfectly. Of course if you are someone who does have an issue that necessitates replacement or fixing it is disappointing. My issue with D601 was a decoder tuning issue which was easily resolved, a few have not been quite as fortunate. 

This however should not detract from what has been an eagerly awaited and hugely successful model. Well done Kernow for sticking with the project despite the setbacks early on.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Just received D603 put it on track prior to fitting decoder - lights come on briefly then nothing - very time i put it on the track the same result brief lights and brief sound from motor then nothing. Running Digitrax system with loco 00 selected - am i being thick / has anyone else seen this? just asking before I send it back.

Many Thanks

• RMweb Gold

Just to confirm you are trying to use it on a DCC controller before actually fitting the chip? If so the coreless motor is going to hate you for it...assuming its not dead already.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, TimP said:

Thanks Baby D. Off to try fitting a decoder

Try the loco on DC first - even if it's only with a 9V battery. No point fitting a decoder if the motor really is stuffed.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

well thanks all for your helpful advice  - seems like it has survived.

I obviously missed the lecture on coreless motors: but having re-read all of the blurb that came with the loco I can't see anything that warns the average idiot (me) that they shouldn't do this.