Kernow Models D6xx Update

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Roy Langridge said:

Is it me, or has the font for the headcodes changed? The 9 looks better on the weathered model. 

Roy

Ark Royal in this form looks the dog’s whatsits and indeed the indicator font is to my eyes on the money. Problem though......I already have D601 from the first release. These NBL Warships were shy beasts later on in their career in the West Country,confined to secondary duties. There were in any case only five and initially they  had a dubious reliability record.In my time train watching at Temple Meads,1960 to 1962, I saw not a single one.

So in the guise of its reincarnation with indicator boxes here,what would its  duties have been ? Milk ? Parcels ? Anything more specific ?

1 hour ago, Ian Hargrave said:

initially they  had a dubious reliability record.In my time train watching at Temple Meads,1960 to 1962, I saw not a single one.

According to the infinitely fallible Wackypeedya:

”according to Laira staff reliability was not a problem as many have thought”

Good afternoon,

I'm interested in this second run from Kernow, but modelling the period 1961/1964 I'd like to know if the K2607 weathered is the right choice or I have to opt for the K2606.

The question is: When were the double split headcode fitted to this series?

Thanks very much in advance

• RMweb Gold

I've been really pleased with my Ark Royal from the first run. It was certainly worth the protracted gestation wait. Great news for those who missed out on the first batch and I hope the second batch sell as well for Kernow - it really did deserve those awards. Sadly I do not need a second one but Active does look very tempting!  As for the real ones, a very good looking loco but in reality overweight and underpowered and as a small class of 5 was always going to suffer from spares issues and driver 's traction knowledge.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, truffy said:

According to the infinitely fallible Wackypeedya:

”according to Laira staff reliability was not a problem as many have thought”

If that was the case then it was probably due to them being sidelined by the gradual influx of Swindon built Warships which were soon in complete charge of mainline long distance duties.Hence they didn’t often wander too far .Then came another NBL influx  in the form of D833 on.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Ark Royal in this form looks the dog’s whatsits and indeed the indicator font is to my eyes on the money. Problem though......I already have D601 from the first release. These NBL Warships were shy beasts later on in their career in the West Country,confined to secondary duties. There were in any case only five and initially they  had a dubious reliability record.In my time train watching at Temple Meads,1960 to 1962, I saw not a single one.

So in the guise of its reincarnation with indicator boxes here,what would its  duties have been ? Milk ? Parcels ? Anything more specific ?

11 minutes ago, straccaletto said:

Good afternoon,

I'm interested in this second run from Kernow, but modelling the period 1961/1964 I'd like to know if the K2607 weathered is the right choice or I have to opt for the K2606.

Answers will be found in John Jennison's "The Book of the Warships" (Irwell Press 2009 ISBN 978-1 906919-11-5) which may now be hard to locate but I feel a little uncomfortable about copying and pasting significant amounts of information from a copyright work.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Out of interest are the head code boxes a separate attachment or a continuous mold? I ask because if they could be made available on their own they could used to modify the Dapol 63xx to the first head code box variants.

5 hours ago, straccaletto said:

Good afternoon,

K2607 didn't get the split headcodes till very early in 1966, so it wouldn't be a good choice for your time period.  

There is a large hinged hatch on the locomotive side, at window height, between the two sets of double doors.  My assumption has been that this hatch was for boiler water, but I don't think I've ever seen a photo of it being used as such with a water column.    Is it a hatch for boiler water?  Any references with photos of a D600 filling it's boiler tanks via a water column?

22 hours ago, TheEngineShed said:

K2607 didn't get the split headcodes till very early in 1966, so it wouldn't be a good choice for your time period.  

Thanks very much for your helpful information.

Being italian and living in Rome it'd have been very difficult to source this kind of info.

Best regards

Francesco

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On 31/10/2020 at 16:15, Pteremy said:

Out of interest are the head code boxes a separate attachment or a continuous mold? I ask because if they could be made available on their own they could used to modify the Dapol 63xx to the first head code box variants.

Have a look at filed down Extreme Etchings Class 40 split box etchings....mount on plasticard to bring them out the required distance

22 hours ago, Phil Bullock said:

Have a look at filed down Extreme Etchings Class 40 split box etchings....mount on plasticard to bring them out the required distance

Thanks Phil - yes I have seen that suggested before, although the Class 40 boxes are a different design. It is just that the Kernow D6xx versions look spot on for the WR style boxes, as bolted on to some of the early D63xx's, before they took the decision to rebuild the front ends.  

5 hours ago, 69843 said:

A quick one for those so versed-does anybody know when D602 Bulldog was fitted with the split headcode boxes?

According to the Oracle on these matters ('The Book of the Warships', Irwell Press) D602 Bulldog was the first one to receive the boxes (during an 8-month Swindon Works visit when just about everything on it was changed!) emerging on 18/12/64.

It remained unique until the next one to be so fitted, D603 Conquest, appeared in October 1965. The fitting of headcode boxes to these five locos was a drawn out affair, not completed until D600 Active was outshopped with them in May 1967, and in blue full yellow livery, having entered works as the last disc-fitted example. D600 was thus the only one never to run in green with boxes.

My spotting books say I saw all five of these beasts, starting in 1966, but sadly the only ones I can actually remember are the two blue locos - D602 at a distance (identified by the livery), and clearest of all D600, my last one, working an up freight past Penwithers Junction one Saturday afternoon, both in 1967 (obviously!)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

18 hours ago, Neil Phillips said:

According to the Oracle on these matters ('The Book of the Warships', Irwell Press) D602 Bulldog was the first one to receive the boxes (during an 8-month Swindon Works visit when just about everything on it was changed!) emerging on 18/12/64.

It remained unique until the next one to be so fitted, D603 Conquest, appeared in October 1965. The fitting of headcode boxes to these five locos was a drawn out affair, not completed until D600 Active was outshopped with them in May 1967, and in blue full yellow livery, having entered works as the last disc-fitted example. D600 was thus the only one never to run in green with boxes.

My spotting books say I saw all five of these beasts, starting in 1966, but sadly the only ones I can actually remember are the two blue locos - D602 at a distance (identified by the livery), and clearest of all D600, my last one, working an up freight past Penwithers Junction one Saturday afternoon, both in 1967 (obviously!)

Thank you kindly for that thorough reply. Much appreciated!

In regards to “just about everything on it was changed”, would that include the grille arrangement? Missed out on a D602 in the first run sadly, and wondering if one can make D602 from D604. Unfortunately I’m not too up on the history, and don’t have ready access to the literature down here. 

Edited by 69843

6 hours ago, 69843 said:

Thank you kindly for that thorough reply. Much appreciated!

In regards to “just about everything on it was changed”, would that include the grille arrangement? Missed out on a D602 in the first run sadly, and wondering if one can make D602 from D604. Unfortunately I’m not too up on the history, and don’t have ready access to the literature down here. 

No, D602's grilles were changed much earlier, 17/11/60. The original horizontal louvres didn't last long on these locos (much like the first 10 Pilot Scheme D61xx - strange therefore that the first 6 P/S D63xx were never so modified) and they were all changed around that time - D601's works visit details are the least complete in the book and this mod is not specifically mentioned, unlike the other four, but it was at Swindon Works 18/11/60 to 5/1/61 so I'd put money on its grilles being changed then.

When I said just about everything on D602 was changed during that 1964 works visit, that included both engines, both transmissions, both bogies and the train heating boiler. As well as the headcodes!

• Thanks 1