Kernow Models D6xx Update

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

There was nothing strange about all the major components being changed during a loco overhaul at Swindon. The ones fitted on arrival at Swindon may have been defective or may even be close to being due to their overhaul hours. If however they were still in good order they may well have been removed and sent out for component exchange at Laira. These components were often in short supply and  it was better use of them to keep the depot fleet running than have them unused by a loco in works for an extended period. This was one of the features of the diesel hydraulics, exchange of major components at depots. It was a pity though that it had to be used so much more than originally planned.

• Informative/Useful 4

Really nice to see a further production run of these. I'll be buying D604 for sure. Cossack was a really shy beast. I don't think I've seen more than a couple of pictures of it ever. I only ever saw Ark Royal for real in a very sorry state at Barry in the late 70s as a kid. I've always loved them ever since that day.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

One of the advantages of home working is that I can sit in the centre of the railway and run things in!

Having read some of the reports earlier on in this thread about running issues caused by the motor I had some trepidation. I am pleased to be able to report that I have had the loco running all day - an hour light engine in each direction and now 2 hours with my maximum length 8 coach train with no issues whatsoever. I'm DCC with an NCE Powercab and I've fitted a Zimo MX600 (with a 21 pin to 8 pin adaptor) as thats all I have 'in stock' and it ran perfectly from fitting. Smooth and no jerking at either end of the speed range and no overheating or excessive current draw. I've subsequently adjusted acceleration and deceleration without problems.

Whether it is the same motor and/or circuit board as the first batch I do not know but sharing my experience of this model for anyone in any doubt :)

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

i took delivery of the weathered version of D601 “Ark Royal” from Kernow late last week, but I am concerned about the weathering around the two roof fans....... I think it is intended to show washing effects but instead looks like residue left over as if something had previously been stuck there......... do I have a bad example or is this the standard offering ?

i haven’t spoken to Kernow yet and first wanted to get feedback from any other owners of this loco........ for a special edition at £190 I expected to be delighted.

Appreciate any feedback - thanks 

B00A9C2D-142A-40AF-9FF2-1A811A0BC463.jpeg

71FDAE94-00BA-42E8-8B97-85CE08CB1FC3.jpeg

174B13EB-A1C3-4427-B991-915301B7024A.jpeg

Edited by Hound Dog
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, Hound Dog said:

the weathering around the two roof fans

Mine is the same and it does appear to be a factory-applied decoration.  I hadn't noticed it until this post and it really doesn't show up that much even knowing it is there.  

What troubles me slightly is that after the initial batches arrived with some nameplates at a noticeable angle off horizontal that one side on my new arrival also has a sloping plate; the other is dead level but has a tiny blob of glue leakage.  

I can resolve all of the above myself.  A little discreet powder weathering will deal with the roof fans.  A rub of wet and dry will remove the excess glue and a careful removal and relocation of the sloping nameplate isn't too hard hoping that there isn't a glue mark right up to the edges underneath which would make a re-position far trickier.  

All in all these are minor things to my mind though I accept they will trouble some of us more than others.  

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

4 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

Mine is the same and it does appear to be a factory-applied decoration.  I hadn't noticed it until this post and it really doesn't show up that much even knowing it is there.  

What troubles me slightly is that after the initial batches arrived with some nameplates at a noticeable angle off horizontal that one side on my new arrival also has a sloping plate; the other is dead level but has a tiny blob of glue leakage.  

I can resolve all of the above myself.  A little discreet powder weathering will deal with the roof fans.  A rub of wet and dry will remove the excess glue and a careful removal and relocation of the sloping nameplate isn't too hard hoping that there isn't a glue mark right up to the edges underneath which would make a re-position far trickier.  

All in all these are minor things to my mind though I accept they will trouble some of us more than others.  

Thanks for the feedback, but is it really acceptable to expect the customer to rectify such defects on a brand new and award winning model ?........

• RMweb Gold
On 28/11/2020 at 17:25, Hound Dog said:

Thanks for the feedback, but is it really acceptable to expect the customer to rectify such defects on a brand new and award winning model ?........

Comparing your photo's to my example I'd say yours does look untidy around those grills. I've always found Kernow friendly and responsive so I'd drop them an email and ask for options :)

• Thanks 1

On 28/11/2020 at 13:02, Gwiwer said:

I have attached a photo of my 601 whichhas very very light blue stripes going widthways across the roof in between the panels, and,the fans ,no idea what that is supposed to represent.....it will be faded in.

also with a tooth pick / cotton buds,acrylic thinners I’ve removed the weathering off all the glazing as they were all opaque ....very unrealistic ,it looks better now.

And next the roof !!.

E07B4573-FF35-4AB0-9BA3-14C21D27D9A4.jpeg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just received "Cossack". I am a bit puzzled about one thing: I was somehow under the impression that Kernow's Warship was fitted with close coupling, i.e. the couplings extending on curves. Instead, I find that the NEM pocket is fitted to a simple pivot, and situated to far forward, resulting in large buffer gaps. Was it always thus on this model, or have Kernow changed the specs?

D600 Active in Bfye - stock alert, 749 down, 1 to go! The three new green 'uns are also down to low single figures already (this production run must have been very restricted?)

No panic if one fancies D602 Bulldog in Bsyp though.

(Caveat - it is possible that the stock levels shown on Kernow's website don't reflect all stock held - one of the all-grey PRAs got close to sell-out then suddenly shot back up to 'more than 10 in stock')

I have a feeling that the stock levels don't neccessarily represent the full number on hand, possibly to encourage people who are interested to actually buy rather than hold off because they think there are loads left. Maybe it's the number left in the current opened box....?

• Funny 1

9 minutes ago, andyman7 said:

I have a feeling that the stock levels don't neccessarily represent the full number on hand, possibly to encourage people who are interested to actually buy rather than hold off because they think there are loads left. Maybe it's the number left in the current opened box....?

I believe it's the live amount. I've bought a few "last ones" from Kernow or just missed out, and that was it. No more.

There might be one or two in the other shop, but I don't think they carry much stock there.

Jason

• 3 weeks later...

Starting off the new year with a new model added to my fleet. Pictured below is my model of D604 Cossack.  Soon to have Details added and weathering applied to it and ultimately, sound.  Currently I just have a standard 21 pin decoder installed so I can run it in the meantime until I fit sound.

IMG_0330.jpg

IMG_0321.jpg

IMG_0319.jpg

IMG_0325.jpg

• Like 7