Kernow Models D6xx Update

Andy Y

32 minutes ago, Dogmatix said:

I thought of that, but firstly I'd be worried that the extra sideplay caused by the displaced bogie pivot would cause buffer locking if the coupling were shortened; secondly, glueing the coupler in makes it very difficult to replace if damaged (probably have to replace the whole pocket); and thirdly, cutting it about would reduce the resale value.

I don't think that this model is for you - why not return it and forget all about it?

I, and most other owners, think it's the greatest!

John Isherwood.

• Like 4
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Dogmatix said:

I thought of that, but firstly I'd be worried that the extra sideplay caused by the displaced bogie pivot would cause buffer locking if the coupling were shortened; secondly, glueing the coupler in makes it very difficult to replace if damaged (probably have to replace the whole pocket); and thirdly, cutting it about would reduce the resale value.

On Hatton’s ICI wagons, I found that Bostik contact adhesive is strong enough to hold a coupler but can be removed. What problems we have caused by abandoning the old huge and unsightly Hornby D couplers!

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, cctransuk said:

I don't think that this model is for you - why not return it and forget all about it?

I, and most other owners, think it's the greatest!

John Isherwood.

Why not put it in a display case given the fact that there probably won't be ay more, or even just leave it in a siding of shed as part of the scenery. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I must confess I have had no problems with my warships and in practice do not notice the length of the couplings (I use Kadee 17). If this bothers anyone there are plenty of fixes available. To say you are disappointed and considering selling what was the model of the year 2020 is like throwing the baby out with the bathwater. The D6xx warship is a superb model, the only letdown is in the eyes of the owner, and the solutions are there if you want them. Okay nobody wants to cut and mess about with new models, but this is only the coupling, not a major piece of bodywork. 

• Agree 5

15 hours ago, Ian J. said:

I find these sprung close coupling mechanisms have a habit of causing derailments when involved on heavier long trains. I intend to remove them all from my stock and replace with static body mounted couplings as soon as practically possible. However, I am also running to a 32 inch minimum radius curve, so that helps in closing up the gaps, be it between coaches/wagons or loco and coaches/wagons.

Use Roco style couplings. It locks the coupling into place and forces the close coupling mechanism to work as it should. I have fitted them to Heljan class 33/1 and Dapol class 73/1 that are involved in push/pull work (normally a 4-TC but also Caroline coach when it appears) and these are fine stopping derailments from coupling misalignment in both pull and push. 

33_1.jpg

33_2.jpg

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

I can't say I'm a fan of the Roco style coupling, but then I don't like tension locks either (either big or small), mainly due to their appearance. I've used Kadees in the past, but in future I'm hoping I can implement some form of AJ that could be directly DCC controlled.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ian J. said:

I can't say I'm a fan of the Roco style coupling, but then I don't like tension locks either (either big or small), mainly due to their appearance. I've used Kadees in the past, but in future I'm hoping I can implement some form of AJ that could be directly DCC controlled.

Deleted.

Edited by cctransuk

• 8 months later...
On 19/01/2022 at 09:12, tractionman said:

Only 3 left in stock for the blue with SYE:

https://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/p/60516/K2605-Class-41-Warship-Diesel-Locomotive-number-D602

cheers,

Keith

HAH,the count went down to zero, then reset to "more than 10".  Kernow obviously found another box full! 

Edited by TheEngineShed
I know it went to zero because I bought the last one! Or so I thought...
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
55 minutes ago, TheEngineShed said:

HAH,the count went down to zero, then reset to "more than 10".  Kernow obviously found another box full! 

Not necessarily. 

We see the quantity available to the website which I would hazard a guess is the number in the warehouse.  All web orders are now processed from the warehouse and have been for over a year. 

It would then be easy for an internal transfer to take place with shop-floor stock, if available, transferred to the warehouse to meet demand.

Not just a paper or accounting exercise either since the Camborne shop and warehouse are quite close and transfers either way might be a daily event.  Stock is probably also transferred to and from the Guildford shop as required. 

Kernow MRC has usually been very good at alerting us to low stock on commissioned items via Facebook and their weekly newsletter. 

• 9 months later...

Just read the latest news letter and realised that a D600 would make a great present for my Dad, with the reasonable assumption like most North British locos, it was tested on Scottish metals before heading South. So I selected D600 itself in original condition as I'm sure it was tested on the Dumfries line. All three versions that are available just now showed a stock level of 10. Looking forward to it.

Neil.

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...
On 19/11/2022 at 09:26, zoomer1979 said:

Just read the latest news letter and realised that a D600 would make a great present for my Dad, with the reasonable assumption like most North British locos, it was tested on Scottish metals before heading South. So I selected D600 itself in original condition as I'm sure it was tested on the Dumfries line. All three versions that are available just now showed a stock level of 10. Looking forward to it.

Neil.

Got my D600 in good time and it's all set for my Dad. I'm guessing he would eventually get a sound chip for it. Who do we reckon has the best guess of the sounds? Wheeltappers? Roads And Rails? Olivia's Trains? Digitrains? The Soundguy? Anyone else have a suggestion?

Neil.

On 10/12/2022 at 22:30, zoomer1979 said:

Got my D600 in good time and it's all set for my Dad. I'm guessing he would eventually get a sound chip for it. Who do we reckon has the best guess of the sounds? Wheeltappers? Roads And Rails? Olivia's Trains? Digitrains? The Soundguy? Anyone else have a suggestion?

Neil.

I have Richard’s ( Road and Rails) Sound file installed in mine and it is really good, but he has since developed an upgrade which I think is even better……. Intend to get mine reblown when I have chance……. I think he has a video of it posted somewhere.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

By the way, does anyone know why the bogie pivots on this model are not central, but offset inwards? Is this prototypical, or is there some other construction reason? As I said before, it does cause excessive sideplay of the loco ends on points & curves. I just wonder what the reason for this rather unusual "feature" is.

• RMweb Premium
On 10/12/2022 at 22:30, zoomer1979 said:

Neil.

Could I just suggest NOT the 3rd one you mention.

P

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dogmatix said:

By the way, does anyone know why the bogie pivots on this model are not central, but offset inwards? Is this prototypical, or is there some other construction reason? As I said before, it does cause excessive sideplay of the loco ends on points & curves. I just wonder what the reason for this rather unusual "feature" is.

I suspect that is designed in this way in order to avoid contact between the wheels and the lower bodyside.

I'm surprised that you kept the loco, in view of your adverse comments above.

CJI.

I didn't keep it. But I have come across a pair of Brawa H0 DB coaches that have offset bogie pivots, which puzzled me, and this reminded me of the Warship, and wondered if there was a genuine valid reason for it, like it being thus on the prototype.

3 minutes ago, Dogmatix said:

I didn't keep it. But I have come across a pair of Brawa H0 DB coaches that have offset bogie pivots, which puzzled me, and this reminded me of the Warship, and wondered if there was a genuine valid reason for it, like it being thus on the prototype.

As I suggested, offset bogie pivots are usually used to reduce the chance of body / wheel contact on sharp curves.

CJI.

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, Dogmatix said:

It appears to be the chassis design employed by the factory, which also produced the Dapol Class 52 Western and NBL Class 22 with the same design of offset bogie pivot (if in doubt regarding the source, compare the Warship and Western packaging - identical, down to the Warship's detail blister pack having the formed recesses to take the Western's spare front-end valances). Unfortunately the Warship's longer bogie wheelbase exaggerates the overhang effect, but I can live with it on what is still a brilliant model of a long-lost class - my spotting books say I saw all five but alas, time dims the memory; however I can still recall copping D600 Active in blue.......👍!

The Heljan Clayton Class 17 has the same offset arrangement - possibly the low and narrow bonnets were the reason in this case (I can't comment on their Classes 15 & 16 as I don't own these). I can't see how this design can reduce the chance of the wheels contacting the lower bodyside since, assuming the latter is straight along its length, either the wheels clear this or they don't, and the greater swing of the outer axle can hardly improve matters.

This reminds me that many years (four decades) ago a friend asked me to build a whitemetal MTK N gauge Western kit on the recommended US Lifelike chassis - this had bogies with pivots offset outwards. The individual bogie wheelbase was more or less correct but the suggested solution to slightly 'stretch' the overall wheelbase to suit the Western was to turn one of the bogies around (I can't now recall the drive system design but it did permit this). Since I could imagine this resulting in the model visibly 'crabbing' its way around curves I devised a solution involving a nut soldered to a piece of N gauge rail bent into a U shape to push the pivot point out to match the other end. Despite not being an N gauge modeller it worked, and the solid metal body gave it Western-like haulage capability too! As requested I painted it in maroon syp livery with hand-painted BR coaching stock roundels (sharpened matchstick and the eyesight of youth, besides which I'd already performed the same on a Minitrix Warship so I couldn't wriggle out of it.......!)

Only then was I presented with the etched plates to fit........D1000 Western Enterprise. Die-hard hydraulic fans will spot the fail here 😎!

8 hours ago, Downendian said:

Kernow now have spares in stock for the D6XX models 

https://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/c/1767/D600-Class-41-Spares 
Neil 

Interesting - it appears possible to "Build Your Own D600 Warship" - handy if you missed out on an earlier one, although such an order would be a daunting task to compile and for Kernow to fulfil......I hope they've thought this through 😜!  Announcing the KMRC D600 Warship CKD kit........!!

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1

7 hours ago, Halvarras said:

It appears to be the chassis design employed by the factory, which also produced the Dapol Class 52 Western and NBL Class 22 with the same design of offset bogie pivot (if in doubt regarding the source, compare the Warship and Western packaging - identical, down to the Warship's detail blister pack having the formed recesses to take the Western's spare front-end valances). Unfortunately the Warship's longer bogie wheelbase exaggerates the overhang effect, but I can live with it on what is still a brilliant model of a long-lost class - my spotting books say I saw all five but alas, time dims the memory; however I can still recall copping D600 Active in blue.......👍!

Also the Dapol 73 and the DJM 71.

The Dapol 73 bogie frames have a hard time realigning  with the direction of the track thanks to the side play of the axles in the bearing pickups. Something fixed once I added wiper pickups.

I think the only reason for off setting the pivot was to allow full cab & detail to be added.