Kernow Models D6xx Update

Andy Y

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I'm afraid I don't see the point of changing the price until the models are nearly ready for market. 

But maybe they are nearly ready. Just because there hasn't been any news that doesn't mean necessarily mean that nothing has happened. Kernow have made surprise announcements of several recent limited edition models, but only once they have stock in their warehouse. You never know, we might be pleasantly surprised.  

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I'm afraid I don't see the point of changing the price until the models are nearly ready for market. I've bought some of the other KMRC commisions, but I'm in my 50s, and beginning to wonder if the D600 model will appear in my lifetime...

If it does it does, if it doesn't it doesn't (and I'm older than you).......

However, it wouldn't be right for Kernow to continue taking pre-orders at the previously advertised price when they have acknowledged that it can't be honoured.

There was a false start with this project due to the original chosen supplier evidently having done nothing to it whilst Kernow wrongly assumed work was taking place.

As a result, the R&D for these models only really commenced in 2014.

John

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Cor blimey £170 for a 4mm scale diesel loco. :swoon: :swoon:

Prices are now getting silly and soon be out of the reach of many modellers who do not have index linked pensions, i.e. us who are young enough to be still working.

True, but the new Hornby Class 87 has the same rrp...

Just the way things are going I guess.

Bit beyond my price range though.

All the best,

Keith

• RMweb Gold

Cor blimey £170 for a 4mm scale diesel loco. :swoon: :swoon:

Prices are now getting silly and soon be out of the reach of many modellers who do not have index linked pensions, i.e. us who are young enough to be still working.

Check out what Hornby are asking for Class 50s these days...........

Despite having long-since set the original price aside, and whilst I'll not be pushed to find the extra, I'm quite glad it's not something I'll require more than one of. 

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1

I ordered one as soon as they were announced and that seems an age ago. I have often wondered if they could still honour the original price as it is a considerable time ago and many things have changed. They have said "Prices have risen since the Warship announcement and we are, sadly, unable to honour the pre-order prices. We will be contacting each customer that has an existing pre-order placed prior to 14th December 2016 in the New Year about this and will be giving details of how we intend to mitigate this rise."

It remains to be seen how they achieve this but I will have to seriously consider if this is a viable purchase now.

It's worth noting that Kernow have said that they will contact pre order customers with orders placed before 14th December 2016, to advise how they will 'mitigate' the increase. This indicates to me that they will propose a price between the previous and current prices, absorbing some of the increase themselves. They did this previously when Bachmann significantly increased the cost of the Delabole slate ash wagons during manufacture. Unfortunately with an item that was first priced 6 or more years ago, there was inevitably going to be a significant increase in the production costs, which is probably now being finalised as the tooling is being produced.

Edited by rembrow

• RMweb Premium

My opinion is that £169.99 for a commissioned and newly-tooled loco in 2017 is good value. Most catalogue items are at the same level when not just recycled existing tooling. This is what it costs now and while that will price some out I am sure these locos will be superb and enjoyed by many of us.

For Kernow Models........... I wonder if the new prices have soured the prospect of future similar models from them.??

The once proposed Bulleid Diesel 10203 for instance........ is this ever likely to see the light of day from Kernow.......... if so, at what sort of price, and would they be thinking we are not going to sell enough at that price to make the project viable.?.??

But like many on here, if I want it badly enough, I would pay the price......as is the case for several with the D6xx, but on this occasion this particular loco is way off my modelling radar.

Bob

It doesn't seem very long ago that we were contemplating the imminent arrival of the £100 loco, without any of the fancy stuff like DCC or sound. Now the £200 loco can't be far away.

And I agree about the Bulleid diesels, too - beginning to wish I had bought a Silver Fox resin one.

• Like 1

Oddly enough the NBL D6XX "Warships" were more elusive to spot than the Bulleid diesels.They were billed as the new dawn on the WR but quickly became a curiosity.I was one of the first to order one and I shall keep the faith.

Hi Ian,

You are right about the D6xx locos being elusive, there are not many underlined in my old spotting books........and the Bulleids worked through Crewe on many occasions, which was my home town.

I dread to think at what price 10203 would ever surface at.?????  And would I pay it.....?????     Probably....???????

Bob

"Prices have risen since the Warship announcement and we are, sadly, unable to honour the pre-order prices. We will be contacting each customer that has an existing pre-order placed prior to 14th December 2016 in the New Year about this and will be giving details of how we intend to mitigate this rise."

I only ordered mine in November but the rise is greater then I expected. If Kermow's reasons are mitigating enough maybe I can persuade my boss to give me a 21.4% pay rise base on the Kernow Inflation Index.

Mike Wiltshire

• RMweb Gold

Oddly enough the NBL D6XX "Warships" were more elusive to spot than the Bulleid diesels.They were billed as the new dawn on the WR but quickly became a curiosity.I was one of the first to order one and I shall keep the faith.

I have two on order and see no reason to cancel them (my pension income - from three pensions) is still considerably less than my eventual salary was although the latter had of course increased over the years for various reasons.  I have ordered a couple basically for sentimental reasons as D601 was the first mainline diesel I ever saw and I took a shine to the name on one of the others (yes, I saw them all, and yes - I saw them before I came across the three Bulleid ones - in their final years at Willesden) 

I don't have a Bulleid diesel on order as it's not my scene railwaywise although I did rather like the look of them.  But if I did have one on order I very definitely wouldn't cancel it or bother with a Silver Fox one (assuming I could find one of the latter).

• Like 2

I think contemplating the first £100 loco was an issue for us at one time and certainly for a diesel, but we knew it would eventually come as that is the nature of inflation. We've crossed that barrier for run of the mill everyday locos and of course it hurts(in the wallet) but I think the manufacturers have explained it fairly well to us. However we are talking limited edition here and one that didn't run in massive numbers anywhere so to make profit it is going to have to be a lot more expensive.

I ordered mine before the £100 barrier was breached for the run of the mill stuff and was happy then to contemplate paying the premium for something special and out of the ordinary. But time has moved on and I think there may be a few like me who will say that it's now going to be lot to pay for something that I won't be using that much.

It still may depend on what Kernow do for those who showed faith in the project when it was first announced and I may still be persuaded but there is always the danger that when a project takes this long(and longer to complete) prices will rise over time and this will affect the take up.

I wonder what would have happened if this was a crowd funded project ?

• RMweb Gold

I have two on order and I am looking forward to them arriving, I too will not be cancelling. I also have the Bulleids on order and in some way see the D6XXs as a down payment on the development costs of the SR diesels that I want even more. The recently released little Heljan 13XX, which I am very happy with, is £125, so I do not see the cost of the limited edition Warship is out of line. I certainly do not want Kernow to make a loss on it. I would have loved it even more at under £100 and I might have bought three but I cannot see anything happening in the near future which will reduce the costs of our models so like many others I will need to be far more realistic in my wish list!

Happy New Year everybody!

Godfrey

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I guess we are all waiting for the personal email, having had one on order since frst announced, if it isn't too scary, I'll keep the faith!

HNY from Oz,

Peter C.

Indeed. And just as with delivery of a new item it will take them some time to contact everyone so perhaps best to await contact rather than call them to ask. The latter, while well meant, occupies staff time which might be used to email ten other customers.

All five have been expected here. As the layout for which they were ordered will be no more by the time they arrive I shall make a decision based upon their email in due course.