Kernow Models D6xx Update

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium

Spoke to Chris T at the members day yesterday and he is thinking it is likely to be 2014.

Good things come to those who wait (and my layout still won't be ready for mine even then.....)

Oh dear, I am sure you are right, the class 22 is a super model and mine runs like a swiss watch, so that bodes well for its big brother, but like the child l am l want mine now !!!!! 

• RMweb Gold

Spoke to Chris T at the members day yesterday and he is thinking it is likely to be 2014.

Good things come to those who wait (and my layout still won't be ready for mine even then.....)

Chris also had some views on his laptop of the way things are going on the handbuilt 'master' for the body; I understand this approach has been adopted because of the difficulty in finding drawings but it is certainly looking good although still a way to go.  Rather Kaffkaesque to compare it with the CAD for the LSWR gate stock which has been drawn from the original works drawings - drawings exist/can be found for a Pre-Group item but not for a Modernisation Plan diesel design!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Chris also had some views on his laptop of the way things are going on the handbuilt 'master' for the body; I understand this approach has been adopted because of the difficulty in finding drawings but it is certainly looking good although still a way to go.  Rather Kaffkaesque to compare it with the CAD for the LSWR gate stock which has been drawn from the original works drawings - drawings exist/can be found for a Pre-Group item but not for a Modernisation Plan diesel design!

Possibly because the D600 Warships were a small class built by an outside contractor that subsequently went out of business (drawings probably filed in skip by whoever cleared the offices).

I hear it is even worse nowadays to the extent that, when SWT wanted their ex-TPx 158s converted into 159/1s, none of the original design work had been kept and a 159/0 had to be partially dismantled to measure up the retention toilet equipment.

John

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Well I've ordered myself a Rail Blue version for Pendeford sidings, my version of history is that soldiered on for a few more years and wandered up to the West Mids occasionaly.

Simon

• RMweb Premium

I always felt it was a crying shame they lasted such a short time.  I knew them from Cornwall where they were banished to avoid failures on the "real" main line but they did work much farther afield at times.  OK they were a small batch of what turned out to be unreliable locos but compare with FGWs 57s today ......... ;)

I have one pre-ordered. However, I'l be doing the opposite to you, Rick. You will be running a locomotive that 'belonged' in Cornwall but you occasionally run SR EMUs and DEMUs where they don't really 'belong', while I run the EMUs and DEMUs where they do 'belong' with a D6XX that probably never strayed onto BR(S) metals!!   :D

If the class 22s are anything to go by, the D600 warships should be a great model. I know there is still a bit of waiting to do but I am looking forward to getting mine when it does come.

Edited by SRman

• RMweb Premium

The three headcode-fitted ones are due here.  If circumstances allow I'll add the other two to the order closer to the release date.  They would be a tiny bit early for me but I already run some late 1950s / early 1960s steam and diesel types so wouldn't be totally out of place.  Likewise the disc-fitted class 22s might yet find a home in my ever-growing WR diesel-hydraulic collection.

Edited by Gwiwer

Should be timed just nicely for a back date of DitD in a couple of years time....

• Like 1

I hear it is even worse nowadays to the extent that, when SWT wanted their ex-TPx 158s converted into 159/1s, none of the original design work had been kept and a 159/0 had to be partially dismantled to measure up the retention toilet equipment.

John. 

I can confirm that is true.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Beautiful picture of CL 41 on the sea wall, they look so well proportioned. Be nice to put out a nationwide plea for drawings.

I have two locos budgeted for this year, the CL 41 ( Ark Royal ordered) and a Beyer Garratt. As the latter is probably going to be around November and the 41 2014 I have been able to shift some funds to bring in a couple of extra locos. The first a Thompson 01 and the second will probably be. 72xx. Now that the freight services have been covered all I need is something to cover the passenger trains. Perhaps a 10000 or if NRM do another Deltic. Saying that the forthcoming Star will be in contention for the West Country runs. Decisions decisions!w

Ahhh memories… I was lucky enough to meet D601 on an all-line railrover trip when I was 16. Here's the evidence...

gallery_19449_2753_65940.jpg

If I had been a few years older, or a good bit richer, or both, that would not have been cut up!

Mike

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Plenty of people feel the same way now about D601.  She lasted long enough beyond withdrawal but diesel preservation wasn't even on most people's radar.  Everyone was trying to rescue the contents of Barry scrapyard and by and large over the years they succeeded.  D601, and some other diesels, not requiring coal for traction slipped through the net along with just a tiny handful of steam locos.  For much the same reasons we have only a couple of preserved 42s and no 22.  Had they survived just a few years more they may have become swept up in the first wave of diesel preservation mania.  Sadly it was not to be.

Well, no 22 was a matter of ill-luck; Swindon cut the last one up by mistake!

Actually the idea has been batted back and forth a few times of a 1:1 scale scratchbuild of a 22. The drawings apparently exist (I heard Steve Beattie, amongst others, has a big collection of NB material), and there are quite a few V100 powertrains potentially available, it's not too big or complex mechanically, and now there's the A1 project to show it can be done...

[Edit: actually, on reflection, Fred Phipps is probably the 22 guru; he would have the lot!]

Mike

Edited by Fireman36
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Well, no 22 was a matter of ill-luck; Swindon cut the last one up by mistake!

Actually the idea has been batted back and forth a few times of a 1:1 scale scratchbuild of a 22. The drawings apparently exist (I heard Steve Beattie, amongst others, has a big collection of NB material), and there are quite a few V100 powertrains potentially available, it's not too big or complex mechanically, and now there's the A1 project to show it can be done...

Mike

But how many preserved lines would want the starring attraction for a diesel gala sitting in a siding because it's failed (again)... but then again that could be said in even stronger terms for the Class 23 Baby Deltic project yet that is making progress.

If they use the German V100 power train then some, or even most, of the problems caused by NBL trying to use imperial measures to build metric engines would disappear.

:)

• Like 4

But how many preserved lines would want the starring attraction for a diesel gala sitting in a siding because it's failed (again)... but then again that could be said in even stronger terms for the Class 23 Baby Deltic project yet that is making progress.

Oh well the obvious answer is to build a D600 replica… now would that be dead in the water half as often, or twice as often…? 

Mike

• RMweb Premium

Ahhh memories… I was lucky enough to meet D601 on an all-line railrover trip when I was 16. Here's the evidence...

gallery_19449_2753_65940.jpg

If I had been a few years older, or a good bit richer, or both, that would not have been cut up!

Mike

Wow it's Merlin

• RMweb Premium

The best way to find out is to subscribe to their newsletter though no plans have been announced thus far.  Or email them suggesting you are interested as there might be enough support for the smaller scale.  But given the 4-year lead time to produce the OO version (as currently estimated) it might be quite a while before anything in another scale could be produced.  It's not as simple as shrinking the drawings ;)

After the annoncement by Kernow in their Newsletter this week of China clay wagons in n gauge, does this mean we may be seeing a loco from them.

It would be nice but I am not holding my breath. There are plenty of locos to haul china clay wagons, you don't have to get a D600 to do the job (in fact, I am not sure if the D600s did work china clay much). Having said that, an N gauge D600 would be very welcome as it would "complete the set" of diesel-hydraulics. Even though it would probably result in my kit-built Active being consigned to the shelf.

Oh well the obvious answer is to build a D600 replica… now would that be dead in the water half as often, or twice as often…? 

Mike

Well we might see some form of replica as two  D600 power units are in the hands of a well know hydraulic group now

• Like 4

• 5 months later...
Guest simon.exd

Were these beauts as unreliable as people say? Ive heard many say the the d6xx and d63xx were more reliable than they have ever been given credit for..

I cant wait for the Kernow models to be released.. If they are delayed much more I will be able to afford two.. but like many I await their arrival impatiently