Kernow Models D6xx Update

Andy Y

What "lack of information"? The development process involving China, as is well-recorded and discussed on these pages, takes as long as it takes. Kernow are always keen to keep us advised, but no news is no news. Of course they'd prefer to be selling the models right now - it's called cash-flow - but we'll hear anything when it happens."

Just a few words in their weekly newsletter on a odd occasion, perhaps just saying "sorry for the delay", would be very welcome.

Keith.

• RMweb Gold

Just a few words in their weekly newsletter on a odd occasion, perhaps just saying "sorry for the delay", would be very welcome.

Keith.

When there is progress to report it is reported in the newsletter but I don't expect them to tell us about every single item of detail on the body or the bogies or whatever, it's nice to get the main steps in each phase reported and that is exactly what we do get.  We know they are having a master made because of problems in finding drawings so the approach is different from all the things we hear nowadays about laser scanning and the like.

I've seen no reason to cancel the two i have on order and I know they will appear at some time as Kernow progress through their list of planned releases, as far as I'm concerned the important bit is knowing that I'm still down for my two and I am, they'll be here when they get here and not before.

• RMweb Premium

Kernow has in my opinion kept us as up to date as they reasonably can on this and other long-delayed projects.  I am sure the extremely long time from announcement to reality is every bit as annoying for them as for us, their customers.  That has been outside their control.  For their part they have an enviable reputation for producing accurate models and will not sign off on any part of the job until they are satisfied it is as good and as accurate as it can be.

One of the problems with the 600s has been the absence of an extant item to scan.  Laser-scanning of any item can result in far quicker production of CAD-CAMs and finished product.  The failure to save even the long-term Barry survivor has been regretted by many ever since but at the time it was cut steam was attracting all the money. We are lucky to even have two 800s left.

Keep the faith - the 600s will be here soon enough.  Maybe even this year judging by the most recent progress update.  I'd rather the good (and small) team at Kernow MRC busied themselves with sales in order to maintain a viable business than to prove us with an "non-update" every few weeks when there is nothing further to add.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

HiTim,  As often said within days of me finishing the Worsley works model lurking in my very large box of started models! The good gents will announce such a model in N. But given sales of N commissions I think it would be a brave move- where brave is defined as making a small fortune out of a large one.

Robert   

• RMweb Premium

So when are they putting it through the shrink-ray to 2mm?

I would prefer the enlarger-ray as a 7mm version would be just what l need to add to my growing collection!!

Bob.C

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Kernow has just posted on its Facebook page, and also accessible from the right hand side of its web home page, some images of further development on the D600 and O2 models. I didn't realise that Kernow had a new production arrangement for the D600 model as the last I saw was that there would be a further announcement, anyway they are showing an image of an EP of a D600 bogie. The detail looks superb, although impossible to judge measurements, however- in-line brake blocks which are close to wheel treads, double leaf springs between hornblocks with the springs appearing to be fully moulded on the inside of the sideframe, brass rod vertical slides on the leaf springs, support braces on the sideframes which appear to have fine holes and that's just from a quick view. This looks very good

We don't know where the D600s are being made. The announcement from Kernow last November advised that the development of the O2 and Gate Stock was leaving Dapol and would be managed by Kernow directly with the Chinese factory with these two projects being overseen by Dave Jones of DJ Models. The statement said for the other 3 projects - Tiger Clay Wagons, Bulleid diesels and D600 Warships, that work would continue and these would be produced under a new commercial agreement, of which details would be given in due course. I don't think that new agreement, if its been made yet, has been published, so its uncertain about who is carrying out the R&D- is it Dapol is it DJ Models or someone else. Certainly at present Kernow have suspended pre-orders on the Tiger Clay Wagons which indicates that project has been delayed.

• RMweb Premium

Kernow MRC's website does not refer to any commercial connection as regards production of the D600s; all we know is that progress is being made.  As regards other projects I'm sure it is every bit as much a frustration to Kernow MRC that they have been kept waiting for several years for any significant movement - let alone product to sell and recover their investment - as it is to those of us who have / might wish to order those items.

I spotted a comment on their Facebook feed very recently in response to an intelligent enquiry about future commissions which suggested they would like to be able to announce new projects but have to get some of the long-awaited ones off the factory floor and onto the shelves first.

In fairness to Kernow the delays do not seem to be in any way under their control and they are not the only business being badly impacted by the pressure on Chinese production.

Edited by Gwiwer

Fully agree with Gwiwer, I have several of their commissions on pre-order and am more than content to wait. What stunned me and caused me to post last night, was the level of detail on the EP bogie side frame and gear for the D600, it is awesome. That shows a significant step forward for this project as they had already shown an EP sample of the complete body last year.

To be honest, Kernow and many others would do well to recognise that not everybody, despite popular conceptions, is even aware of Bacefook and Twatter, especially those in their target purchasing demograph. Perhaps if these images were released on to the wider www. web via their own websites they would actually reach a larger and willing purchaser base?

A similar situation exists on the Hornby K1 thread, where images are shown on sites that many preorderers do not frequent!

Yes, I'm over 60, yes I have many of these items on pre-order, talk to me through your website, not to my children's !!!

Grumpy of Perth,

Peter C.

In fairness 45568 (Peter) I don't subscribe to Facebook/Twitter either, however Kernow provide daily Facebook links on their main website Home page at the bottom right hand side. I occasionally scroll down these and click on those I'm interested in, which I can view without being a subscriber. I'm sure the O2 and D600 latest developments will be in their weekly newsletter in the next week or two, again you can subscribe and get it automatically by e-mail, or view the latest edition from a link on their home page.

Interestingly I've just seen on another site, showing the work of Fred Phipps in 1/32, whose model of a Class 29 is supposedly being used by Dapol to help produce CAD drawings of their proposed 'oo'gauge 21/29 model, that Fred Phipps is producing a D600 in kit form via resin and has been involved in this development for 2-3 years. On that site it said in a posting from 2012 that Fred's master was going to be used by Kernow for their 'oo' gauge model. It also says that it is hoped to build the first complete model by July this year. Is it possible that Fred Phipp's masters are being used for the Kernow model?

• RMweb Gold

To be honest, Kernow and many others would do well to recognise that not everybody, despite popular conceptions, is even aware of Bacefook and Twatter, especially those in their target purchasing demograph. Perhaps if these images were released on to the wider www. web via their own websites they would actually reach a larger and willing purchaser base?

I think Kernow seeks to cover all bases by having their newsletter, on free subscription, which drops into your email weekly. I anticipate there will be a little something about O2s in the next edition.

• RMweb Gold

I am sure the images will also be referenced in their newsletter tomorrow and at same the time will also be available on their website (as will the newsletter itself)

I think Kernow seeks to cover all bases by having their newsletter, on free subscription, which drops into your email weekly. I anticipate there will be a little something about O2s in the next edition.

I can also confirm that further images of the O2 will feature and also on my own blog to coincide with the issuing of the newsletter

• Like 2

I thought the plan was for Fred to produce his D600 in gauge1 and then the Kernow model will be laser scanned from that.

He had the body at Larkrail last year and emailed me some images after the show. I hope it scales easily when it is laser scanned!

Regards

Mark Humphrys

I suspect that Kernow are having to wait for all the masters of the Gauge 1 model to be completed, the latest being the bogie side frames. On one Gauge 1 site there is a posting that advises that its hoped to produce a full Gauge 1 D600 model from Fred Phipps parts by July this year, so the masters must be near completion. One other fact I've picked up from Western Thunder Gauge 1 site, is that Fred's masters will only be accurate for D600 and D601 as they incorporate the different bevelled recessed edges on the side grilles only used on the first 2. Presumably this can be adjusted when preparing the CAD work from the laser scans

I spotted a comment on their Facebook feed very recently in response to an intelligent enquiry about future commissions which suggested they would like to be able to announce new projects but have to get some of the long-awaited ones off the factory floor and onto the shelves first.

I agree........they must bring a few projects to a conclusion before announcing further new projects.......or else I feel they would lose some credibility.

Kernow have to be commended for what they are trying to do.........and it is a frustration all round to not get these models made.

I still live in hope for Bulleid diesel 10203........??????????

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I thought the plan was for Fred to produce his D600 in gauge1 and then the Kernow model will be laser scanned from that.

He had the body at Larkrail last year and emailed me some images after the show. I hope it scales easily when it is laser scanned!

Regards

Mark Humphrys

A lazer scann of a model, which is still being developed............................................how long ago did Kernow announce they were going to be producing this model?

They seem still to be at an early stage. OK we have seen bits of the bogie, not much else.

• RMweb Gold

Yes the development has taken longer than originally hoped, for a number of reasons,  but the D600 is progressing and will follow on from the O2 and Gate Stock. The Bullied Diesels are still on the list of planned items but attention has been concentrated elsewhere.

There may well perhaps be other projects announced, as Kernow hinted on facebook,  in due course but these are likely to be smaller quicker wins.

• Like 1