Kernow Models D6xx Update

Andy Y

1 hour ago, pinzaboy said:

Hi

Regarding the imperium /D600 query I set mine to:

Deceleration 010

Acceleration 015

I'm no expert but it works ok for my D602!

Good luck

Tim

Thanks Tim I will try them and see how it goes,

Trev

2 hours ago, pinzaboy said:

Regarding the imperium /D600 query I set mine to:

Deceleration 010

Acceleration 015

I'm no expert but it works ok for my D602!

1 hour ago, Trev1073 said:

Thanks Tim I will try them and see how it goes,

Further suggestion, since you are prepared to alter CV's 3 and 4. While I don't know what time constants apply on the Dapol decoder, most decoders I have tried begin to deliver realistic rail accelerations at values of 40 and up. Try it, you might like it.

If I have a disappointment with DCC, as judged by watching exhibition operation, it is how few users exploit the extended accelerations it offers. While far from perfect, it is way better than that obtained by direct operator control at suggesting the high inertia of a train movement. It also enforces proper running-in speeds on terminating tracks.

Well I tried the settings suggested *and some highe settings as suggested by 34theletterbetweenB&D  and had some slight improvement but the decoder/ loco combination is still not good on my layout ( up & down inclines). Decided to try a Lenz Silver + today and generally got better performance without adjustments to any CV's. However I have had a couple of instances where the loco just stops as if the decoder / loco is overheating. Leave for a couple of mins and comes back to life. I know that there appears to be an issue when using sound decoders but I am purely using a drive decoder. Has anyone else had similar issues? I do need to look at my track cleanliness as well as I know it needs a good clean, however no problems on other stock generally.

Trev

17 hours ago, Trev1073 said:

...However I have had a couple of instances where the loco just stops as if the decoder / loco is overheating. Leave for a couple of mins and comes back to life. I know that there appears to be an issue when using sound decoders but I am purely using a drive decoder.

I haven't, because I don't own an example! But top suspect for this problem would be the 'polyswitch' action: that's what it does, cuts power and then resets. That it probably shouldn't be doing it in this case with just the motor (and possibly a few lights?) drawing current could be nothing more than an exceptionally sensitive example. Cheap electronic components are often very variable in performance from example to example.

You have two principal choices of action.

Return to vendor for correction, with a clear description of the unsatisfactory aspects . (Many would see this as preferable since if sufficient customers act in this way the vendor gets the message that the mechanism is not as it should be.)

Take the risk of removing the poly switch from the circuit, either by short circuiting it with wire, or removing it and substituting a wire link, to see if that fixes the stop and go problem.

1 hour ago, Richard Croft said:

For anyone interested I have updated my sound file with some new features.

Richard

What speakers did you put inside Richard? I picked up Cossack and may add sound as this is very good.

Mark

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

I’ve just had an “interesting” time with my Ark Royal and Bulldog. Since getting them, I’ve been reluctant to run them much because of their coreless motors. At last I have got my hands on a couple of Imperium1 decoders. Ark Royal continued to run jerkily but I cleaned the wheels and all seemed to be well, strange as it is to have a modern diesel model so sensitive to dirt. When I opened Bulldog, I thought the blanking plate looked a bit elaborate. It turned out to be a Bachmann blue decoder, with ESU printed on it. I might have installed it ages ago and forgotten but, if I had done that, I would normally put the blanking plate in the box. It wasn’t there. Still, my having done something careless is a lot more likely than Kernow fitting a free decoder.

I left the Bachmann decoder in and cleaned the wheels, which weren’t dirty in any case. On DC, the loco stuttered a bit on starting but with more power applied, it took off. Not great, but controllable. On DCC, however, it surged badly, ramming buffer stops and just escaping a tumble. The sort of performance which has been reported. I fished out the Bachmann decoder and installed the Imperium I had got for it. Bulldog was transformed. It may not quite match the performance of the best diesel models but it was perfectly acceptable. I hope this experience helps someone.

Meanwhile, my Dapol Class 21 arrived. A little beauty giving no grief whatsoever.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
On 06/07/2019 at 14:04, The Stationmaster said:

Now you need to get the gear change - very characteristic. of the hydraulics.

Absolutely Mike....yet to hear a hydraulic sound file with that feature, although we do have the wonderful dip in engine note as the converters fill on our Westerns.....

18 hours ago, No Decorum said:

... It turned out to be a Bachmann blue decoder, with ESU printed on it...

On DCC, however, it surged badly, ramming buffer stops and just escaping a tumble...

Just for competleness. that's what I would expect of this decoder with a coreless motor. The factory set up of the BEMF is optimised for a large iron core motor with flywheels, and it will perform similarly with a small iron core motor. (It is possible to change the BEMF constants to improve performance for small or coreless motors, but in my experience to date you can never quite eliminate some 'granularity' at lower speed -  it is quite an old decoder design is the bottom line.)

• Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...

In Kernow's Latest (03/04/2020) Newsletter it says that they are on the last box of K2602 Warship Bulldog which is in BR Green with Small Yellow Panels. Just visited there website and it appears that they only got 9 left.

Samuel.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, sc2016 said:

In Kernow's Latest (03/04/2020) Newsletter it says that they are on the last box of K2602 Warship Bulldog which is in BR Green with Small Yellow Panels. Just visited there website and it appears that they only got 9 left.

Samuel.

Woopeee! Perhaps there will be a call for a re-run with the SYP arrangement being applied to a different loco, let's say D600.

• RMweb Premium

If nothing else the fact that the six versions of five locos produced as (as KMRC themselves state) 750 pieces each have nearly sold out does show that the wait has been worthwhile and the faith placed by the business in their product has not been misplaced despite the very long wait and many hurdles along the way.

Edited by Gwiwer
  • Like 3
  • Agree 8

11 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

If nothing else the fact that the six versions of five locos produced as (as KMRC themselves state) 750 pieces each have nearly sold out does show that the wait has been worthwhile and the faith placed by the business in their product has not been misplaced despite the very long wait and many hurdles along the way.

Absolutely.  Great news for Kernow and probably for us too as it may help bring forward other projects and accelerate those announced (eg the railmotor!)

• Agree 4

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎26‎/‎04‎/‎2020 at 10:20, Pteremy said:

Or - with the arrival of the Bachmann Cl117/CL121 - some of the missing links - Cl 116/118 and Trailers for the Cl121/122.

I believe it was the original intention to commission the 116. Here's hoping.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 28/04/2020 at 13:17, 89A said:

I believe it was the original intention to commission the 116. Here's hoping.

Yes, that is correct. When Kernow originally announced the Class 117 they did say the intention was to do a 116 eventually. Hopefully after Bachmann took over they kept the same intention.

• RMweb Premium
On 17/05/2020 at 14:39, BR Blue said:

Yes, that is correct. When Kernow originally announced the Class 117 they did say the intention was to do a 116 eventually. Hopefully after Bachmann took over they kept the same intention.

No mention here

http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/pg/143/WR-Suburban-DMU

also happened on an old 2015 Bachmann Times this morning and again no mention of a 116.

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, stephennicholson said:

No mention here

http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/pg/143/WR-Suburban-DMU

also happened on an old 2015 Bachmann Times this morning and again no mention of a 116.

The 116 was definitely mentioned by Kernow at the time they first announced the 117 before Bachmann took it over. 

Bachmann have never mentioned it as far as I know. 

The original Kernow page is long since deleted.

Edited by BR Blue
  • Agree 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

I have had a dig through the thread but to no avail...

Did anybody every change the poly switch / resettable fuse on their Warship or did those with sound just bridge it out?  If you did change it, what spec did you use? I am considering an XREF075 which trips at 1.5amp. Other side a pretty similar spec to that fitted (40amp, 72 V).

Finally got around to buying  sound for mine so need to apply a fix.

Thanks,

Roy

• 4 months later...

Hopefully nobody will object, I have added a couple of photos of D602 'Bulldog'  which has

been professionally weathered.   Comments welcome .....

Brilliant model to start with, in my opinion even better now.

Cheers, Ian

Bulldog.D602.1.jpg

Bulldog.D602.2.jpg

Bulldog.D602.3.jpg

Edited by Staffordshire
Photo added
  • Like 13

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Staffordshire said:

Brilliant model to start with, in my opinion even better now.

1 hour ago, Staffordshire said:

Comments welcome .....

Yes they do start out by looking good and scrub up rather well if weathered.   

IMG_2411.jpeg

• Like 10