Andy Y

Kernow Models D6xx Update

On 26/05/2019 at 13:45, TimP said:

well thanks all for your helpful advice  - seems like it has survived.

I obviously missed the lecture on coreless motors: but having re-read all of the blurb that came with the loco I can't see anything that warns the average idiot (me) that they shouldn't do this.

Ironically the one part that has been giving a few people greif has probably actually saved you. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

On 28/05/2019 at 09:39, Dvt Dweller said:

Ironically the one part that has been giving a few people greif has probably actually saved you. 

Yes I have read through the thread on the fuse thing - hmmm seems like a bit of a gotcha, but as you say may well have been what has saved me - I think I'll wait for Kernow to say something before splashing out on a YouChoos / Zimo decoder.

In the meantime anyone fitting Kadees? I am not mad keen on the Dapol couplings as they have horrible droop - I am not sure even a shim will do.

I have fitted Kadees into the NEM socket to mine they are fine, no droop like some

• Informative/Useful 1

On 30/05/2019 at 16:40, TimP said:

Yes I have read through the thread on the fuse thing - hmmm seems like a bit of a gotcha, but as you say may well have been what has saved me - I think I'll wait for Kernow to say something before splashing out on a YouChoos / Zimo decoder.

In the meantime anyone fitting Kadees? I am not mad keen on the Dapol couplings as they have horrible droop - I am not sure even a shim will do.

The youchoos decoder is based on the western which used maybach engines, not MAN. Don’t know if it bothers you?

Richard

Has anyone fitted crew into their warship? Any advice would be appreciated.

16 minutes ago, KJC said:

Has anyone fitted crew into their warship? Any advice would be appreciated.

Two posts on my own thread that include links back to earlier posts on here:

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/94350-mid-cornwall-lines-1950s-western-region-in-00/&do=findComment&comment=3535695

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/94350-mid-cornwall-lines-1950s-western-region-in-00/&do=findComment&comment=3536704

Many thanks St Enodoc. A search of the site strangely didn’t reveal any info and I didn't fancy removing the two small screws behind the buffer beam without some confirmation. Off to have another attempt now! The body is a tight fit on the chassis isn’t it.

8 hours ago, KJC said:

Many thanks St Enodoc. A search of the site strangely didn’t reveal any info and I didn't fancy removing the two small screws behind the buffer beam without some confirmation. Off to have another attempt now! The body is a tight fit on the chassis isn’t it.

The body isn't too bad except for getting the corners of the chassis to tuck into the body when reassembling the loco. Otherwise the only tricky bit is breaking the seals on the lamp housings to free the cab interior mouldings.

• Agree 1

Hi has anyone changed the CV settings for the Dapol Imperium Decoder? My 3 loco's run fine but seem a bit "abrupt" on slow down, just wondered if anyone can suggest any changes that they have made?

Thanks

Trev

1 hour ago, Trev1073 said:

Hi has anyone changed the CV settings for the Dapol Imperium Decoder? My 3 loco's run fine but seem a bit "abrupt" on slow down, just wondered if anyone can suggest any changes that they have made?

Thanks

Trev

Can't help with the settings I'm just plain DC, but that is one of the disadvantages of coreless motors and needs careful throttle control. Adding more inertia control I expect would be the DCC answer.

• Informative/Useful 1

Hi

Regarding the imperium /D600 query I set mine to:

Deceleration 010

Acceleration 015

I'm no expert but it works ok for my D602!

Good luck

Tim

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

It wasn't the hardest one to get into.

IMG_0847.JPG

• Like 6

1 hour ago, pinzaboy said:

Hi

Deceleration 010

Acceleration 015

Good luck

Tim

Thanks Tim I will try them and see how it goes,

Trev

2 hours ago, pinzaboy said:

Deceleration 010

Acceleration 015

1 hour ago, Trev1073 said:

Thanks Tim I will try them and see how it goes,

Further suggestion, since you are prepared to alter CV's 3 and 4. While I don't know what time constants apply on the Dapol decoder, most decoders I have tried begin to deliver realistic rail accelerations at values of 40 and up. Try it, you might like it.

If I have a disappointment with DCC, as judged by watching exhibition operation, it is how few users exploit the extended accelerations it offers. While far from perfect, it is way better than that obtained by direct operator control at suggesting the high inertia of a train movement. It also enforces proper running-in speeds on terminating tracks.

Well I tried the settings suggested *and some highe settings as suggested by 34theletterbetweenB&D  and had some slight improvement but the decoder/ loco combination is still not good on my layout ( up & down inclines). Decided to try a Lenz Silver + today and generally got better performance without adjustments to any CV's. However I have had a couple of instances where the loco just stops as if the decoder / loco is overheating. Leave for a couple of mins and comes back to life. I know that there appears to be an issue when using sound decoders but I am purely using a drive decoder. Has anyone else had similar issues? I do need to look at my track cleanliness as well as I know it needs a good clean, however no problems on other stock generally.

Trev

17 hours ago, Trev1073 said:

...However I have had a couple of instances where the loco just stops as if the decoder / loco is overheating. Leave for a couple of mins and comes back to life. I know that there appears to be an issue when using sound decoders but I am purely using a drive decoder.

I haven't, because I don't own an example! But top suspect for this problem would be the 'polyswitch' action: that's what it does, cuts power and then resets. That it probably shouldn't be doing it in this case with just the motor (and possibly a few lights?) drawing current could be nothing more than an exceptionally sensitive example. Cheap electronic components are often very variable in performance from example to example.

You have two principal choices of action.

Return to vendor for correction, with a clear description of the unsatisfactory aspects . (Many would see this as preferable since if sufficient customers act in this way the vendor gets the message that the mechanism is not as it should be.)

Take the risk of removing the poly switch from the circuit, either by short circuiting it with wire, or removing it and substituting a wire link, to see if that fixes the stop and go problem.

For anyone interested I have updated my sound file with some new features.

Richard

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Richard Croft said:

For anyone interested I have updated my sound file with some new features.

Richard

What speakers did you put inside Richard? I picked up Cossack and may add sound as this is very good.

Mark

4 minutes ago, Sails said:

What speakers did you put inside Richard? I picked up Cossack and may add sound as this is very good.

Mark

This one has an EM2 and needed milling. The 22 has an EM1 and didn’t need any milling,

Richard 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sails said:

Mark

This one has an EM2 and needed milling. The 22 has an EM1 and didn’t need any milling,

Richard 

Hi,

Since having a locomotive with activedrive from Digitrains I have slowly been converting all my other locomotives. Does anybody other than YouChoos offer F2 brake function for a class 41 for both types of headcodes?

Cheers,

Simon

On 18/07/2019 at 22:18, NorthBritish said:

Hi,

Since having a locomotive with activedrive from Digitrains I have slowly been converting all my other locomotives. Does anybody other than YouChoos offer F2 brake function for a class 41 for both types of headcodes?

Cheers,

Simon

I can put braking on f2 on my file if you let me know when ordering

Richard