Kernow Models D6xx Update

Andy Y

The offset may also reduce the sideways throw of the cardan shafts where they enter the top of the bogie towers. Probably not much of a problem in most of the locomotives mentioned, but could be an advantage in the narrow-bonneted class 17.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Halvarras said:

It appears to be the chassis design employed by the factory, which also produced the Dapol Class 52 Western and NBL Class 22 with the same design of offset bogie pivot (if in doubt regarding the source, compare the Warship and Western packaging - identical, down to the Warship's detail blister pack having the formed recesses to take the Western's spare front-end valances). Unfortunately the Warship's longer bogie wheelbase exaggerates the overhang effect, but I can live with it on what is still a brilliant model of a long-lost class - my spotting books say I saw all five but alas, time dims the memory; however I can still recall copping D600 Active in blue.......👍!

The Heljan Clayton Class 17 has the same offset arrangement - possibly the low and narrow bonnets were the reason in this case (I can't comment on their Classes 15 & 16 as I don't own these). I can't see how this design can reduce the chance of the wheels contacting the lower bodyside since, assuming the latter is straight along its length, either the wheels clear this or they don't, and the greater swing of the outer axle can hardly improve matters.

This reminds me that many years (four decades) ago a friend asked me to build a whitemetal MTK N gauge Western kit on the recommended US Lifelike chassis - this had bogies with pivots offset outwards. The individual bogie wheelbase was more or less correct but the suggested solution to slightly 'stretch' the overall wheelbase to suit the Western was to turn one of the bogies around (I can't now recall the drive system design but it did permit this). Since I could imagine this resulting in the model visibly 'crabbing' its way around curves I devised a solution involving a nut soldered to a piece of N gauge rail bent into a U shape to push the pivot point out to match the other end. Despite not being an N gauge modeller it worked, and the solid metal body gave it Western-like haulage capability too! As requested I painted it in maroon syp livery with hand-painted BR coaching stock roundels (sharpened matchstick and the eyesight of youth, besides which I'd already performed the same on a Minitrix Warship so I couldn't wriggle out of it.......!)

Only then was I presented with the etched plates to fit........D1000 Western Enterprise. Die-hard hydraulic fans will spot the fail here 😎!

Interesting - it appears possible to "Build Your Own D600 Warship" - handy if you missed out on an earlier one, although such an order would be a daunting task to compile and for Kernow to fulfil......I hope they've thought this through 😜!  Announcing the KMRC D600 Warship CKD kit........!!

And decidedly costly starting with £40 for a bare body shell. Did it with D63xx when things were cheaper…

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, zoomer1979 said:

Went with Roads and Rails. Richard's sounds are pretty good and he has some good features he likes to include. Why not Olivia's? 🤔

Personal experience! Also discussions elsewhere; worth finding and reading.

There are many choices though and they suit some folk...but not me, in any way at all. 

Enjoy your Trains.

Phil

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

These Loco' come up every so often at Auctions. I was going to get one originally, but moved on during the prolonged wait. However, if they are really as good as folk say her, I shall keep an eye open for a suitable one to appear OR succumb to a Kernow D600 Active (which spent a load of its time inactive of course 😁; I lived in Plymouth back then so was a witness!)

Thanks for all the info.

Phil

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

A tale to tell that started with a Christmas present for my Dad from me of a Kernow D600 Warship. One of the latest batch, which is significant, as they have used a coreless motor.

After receiving his present he decided that the sound chip he likes the best is Roads and Rails. Chip arrived and fitted but running is now poor with a stuttering start and low top speed. The model was sent to R&R to see what he could do, it came back with more speed but still a stuttering start. Model Rail Scotland last month we decided to ask @charliepetty if he could find a fix. He was doubtful, explaining coreless motors are terrible for controlling. Without any further possibilities and having built up my knowledge of the Loksound V5 I decided that reducing the frequency of the PWM and picking a nominal value for the EMF feedback value might produce a better running model. It worked. So along with other CV values learned from other setups here are CV values that work for the loco in question:

CV2-1 CV3-60 CV4-60 CV5-205 CV9-15 CV49-17 CV51-10 CV52-0 CV53-100 CV54-28 CV55-240 CV56-30

Hope this helps anyone who is having similar problems with either the D600 Warship or the Loksound V5.

Neil.

Edited by zoomer1979
Requested privacy by business owner.
  • Informative/Useful 8

• 3 months later...

I happened to be in Camborne last Saturday, attending a wedding reception under 10 minutes walk from the shop.

Popping in with the intention of buying D600 in all over green, the chap behind the counter unearthed a D602 Bulldog in BSYP in stock. Their stock system has shown these as out of stock for some while, so whether they have any more tucked away remains to be seen. I was very happy to take Bulldog away as this was the one I really wanted in the first place!

A very pleasant place to go shopping, and I greatly enjoyed my conversation with the two gentlemen present.

John.

• Like 12
  • Agree 1

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

A timely reminder to me to post my appreciation of this exceptional model. For a variety of reasons,I’ve not been able to run this until now. Beautifully detailed& weathered for me by Alex..now with Accurascale…it is cosmetically accurate and performs smoothly and silently and brings back memories of holidays in Devon & Cornwall in the late 1950’s & early 1960’s. 

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

A timely reminder to me to post my appreciation of this exceptional model. For a variety of reasons,I’ve not been able to run this until now. Beautifully detailed& weathered for me by Alex..now with Accurascale…it is cosmetically accurate and performs smoothly and silently and brings back memories of holidays in Devon & Cornwall in the late 1950’s & early 1960’s. 

Sadly it is inaccurate Ian. 

It doesn't fail every ten minutes, shed weird bits and Oil all over the place and need a tow back to Laira.

However there is a Decoder programme that will replicate that for you.

Phil

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Gold
42 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

Sadly it is inaccurate Ian. 

It doesn't fail every ten minutes, shed weird bits and Oil all over the place and need a tow back to Laira.

However there is a Decoder programme that will replicate that for you.

Phil

Their appearance in service is perhaps best described as elusive…..

• Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Their appearance in service is perhaps best described as elusive…..

That was the case down Plymuff in 59/60.

However they did look quite exciting and made a good noise. 

I've bid at on line Auction a few times on this Class of Engine, but they go for much more than I am willing to pay, plus the fees and postage.

I wasn't that interested in Diseasels though, despite their initial shininess and  unusual look. However, a little later in life I enjoyed  countrywide Shed Bashing to mostly collect numbers, but also to take some photo's.

Another thing was that some Diesels were often cross Country wanderers, unlike Steam that tended to hang around their local area (especially Scotland, but Diesels also did that up there, so Scotland weekends were always exciting).

I gave up spotting when Sectorisation came in and also so many Engines got renumbered so it all got too much of a faff.

However, on Moving up North to near Donny in 2003, my interest was reawakened due to the amount of Freight.

Phil

• Like 4

Right now Kernow have just 5 x D604 'Cossack' left in stock, then that's it.

Until a possible future re-run anyway, which should include D603 'Conquest' with headcode boxes and yellow panels extended upwards between them - it was blue D600 'Active's sidekick in Cornwall while the other three were away in South Wales during Aug - Nov 1967. They had Hymeks D7029/88 for company.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 28/02/2024 at 13:26, PieGuyRob said:

I too would be interested in another run. I missed out on both blue versions.

ok it's not blue but there's one listed here for those interested:

https://clarkrailworks.com/collections/new-arrivals/products/kmrc-exclusive-oo-k2602-d600-warship-d602-bulldog-br-green-ltd-ed-282-750