Dover - Stirling Motorail

Jack

According to this website the Dover to Stirling Motorail was often worked by some very non-Southern locos. In particular it notes pairs of class 25s (not to mention 40s, 26s and 27s).

Does anyone have any pics of these locos, particularly the 25s, working through Kent? had the weight restrictions on them been lifted? I know the 24s loaned to the southern in the 60s had to have their boilers removed to get round this.

Also, would the Motorail gone from London to Dover via the north (Faversham) or south (Ashford)?

Any help, especially pics, would be appreciated.

TheBrockenhurst to Stirling Motorail train ran via Kensington Olympia where the Motorail

train from Dover was attached.

Thanks for that. So reading between the lines and following the links, I guess that means all the colourful motive power in the OP wouldn't have continued beyond Kensington?

Reading the original link, I think that motive power listing (dated July 1980) is for the sections N of Mossend, for example

27025+25050 1S15 2125 Dover Western Docks - Stirling motorail from Mossend

by the 80s, it was very rare indeed for any interregional passenger trains into Kent, whether scheduled Motorail or excursions, to have anything other than a 47 working through (typically WR or ER) or a 33 coming on in the outskirts of London (Willesden for electrics from the WCML, Brent for Peaks from the Midland)

Further info from http://www.derbysulz...om/class33.html - that motorail service started in 1972, combined with the existing Kensington Olympia-Stirling service at Kensington, and the 33 from Dover shunted its train onto the main train at Kensington.

Thanks for the link ... disappointing, but it does explain the lack of pics when I did a search!

Archived