Duffed up Duffs

griffgriff

47853 (and it's previous numbers) is one with both end having replacement flush ends.

When it was numbered as 47614, http://class47.co.uk/c47_zoom_v2.php?img=0925010344017 it carried Large Logo, so could easily be re-numbered from Bachmann's 535 if BR blue is your thing, with some additional black on the windows and a Highland stag. The tanks seem to match, not sure if the roof does though

HTH

cheers

jo

Here's a question for you. Beside 47 535 University of Leicester where any other Brush 4's (not counting 57's) that had both cab ends panelled over flush?

In my humble opinion they just looked neater that way.

Ta Bob.

One that springs to mind is the Morpeth victim 47452, but checking Fotopic looks like No 1 end only.

Jinx 47299 seems to have been plated both ends though.

• RMweb Gold

47853 (and it's previous numbers) is one with both end having replacement flush ends.

When it was numbered as 47614, http://class47.co.uk/c47_zoom_v2.php?img=0925010344017 it carried Large Logo, so could easily be re-numbered from Bachmann's 535 if BR blue is your thing, with some additional black on the windows and a Highland stag. The tanks seem to match, not sure if the roof does though

HTH

cheers

jo

Ta ...the force is strong in you... how did you know what I was thinking :D

• RMweb Gold

One that springs to mind is the Morpeth victim 47452, but checking Fotopic looks like No 1 end only.

Jinx 47299 seems to have been plated both ends though.

Nice arrows there Phil.

I know I could have looked it up on class47.co.uk but I was going crazy looking at all them photos and getting nowhere....so thanks for the heads up :icon_thumbsup2:

• RMweb Gold

It looks like 47 299 is the fave at the moment... still in blue in 91 and guess where it was working then... The South Western Mainline ... oh happy days. Variety in my Duff fleet without it being daft :icon_clap:

But I'm still looking just in case there is something better around the corner!

Here's a question for you. Beside 47 535 University of Leicester where any other Brush 4's (not counting 57's) that had both cab ends panelled over flush?

In my humble opinion they just looked neater that way.

Ta Bob.

Just a few I have photos of made between 1987 & 1992. Not sure if both cabs are flush, but probably are.

47 431, 47 434, 47 443, 47 449, 47 452, 47 535, 47 614,

K9-70

• RMweb Gold

Just a few I have photos of made between 1987 & 1992. Not sure if both cabs are flush, but probably are.

47 431, 47 434, 47 443, 47 449, 47 452, 47 535, 47 614,

K9-70

fewer than you might think... it makes sense if you think that BR wouldn't sanction a repair on an end that didn't need it.

But thanks and I shall have another look...mind many of those numbers look familiar :icon_frustrated:

I think IKB was only plated on the Rad. end but Ta anyway.

Old IKB had it's number one end can patched up twice, in 1980 then again a bit later on when it had been given the GWR / 150 green makeover. When the number one end was plated over for the first time in 1980, the other end still had the black perspex / white domino headcode panel.

HTH

Nidge wink.gif

One of the magazines had the complete list in this year, around August/September/October time, can't remember which one though (Rail Express?) - I saw it at the railway club. I did write out the complete list of which 47s had flush fronts and at which end it was, the only ones which had both ends done were:

47085 1 (1/80) 2 (3/80), no. 2 end reverted to standard in 6/83

47102 1 (8/85) bottom section cutaway, 2 (5/83)

47141 1 (5/83) 2 (10/81) later renumbered 47614

47163 both (7/79) later renumbered 47610

47190 1 (9/79) 2 (7/82)

47299 both (10/84) bottom section cutaway each end

47458 1 (2/85) bottom section cutaway, 2 (2/83)

47522 both (9/83)

47535 both (1/84)

any other 47s had only one end done, 84 of them.

• RMweb Gold

One of the magazines had the complete list in this year, around August/September/October time, can't remember which one though (Rail Express?) - I saw it at the railway club. I did write out the complete list of which 47s had flush fronts and at which end it was, the only ones which had both ends done were:

47085 1 (1/80) 2 (3/80), no. 2 end reverted to standard in 6/83

47102 1 (8/85) 2 (5/83)

47141 1 (5/83) 2 (10/81) later renumbered 47614

47163 both (7/79) later renumbered 47610

47190 1 (9/79) 2 (7/82)

47299 both (10/84) bottom section cutaway

47458 1 (2/85) cutaway, 2 (2/83)

47522 both (9/83)

47535 both (1/84)

any other 47s had only one end done, 84 of them. Actually I've not taken note of any after 1988 as that's out of my period so there'll be one or two more to add to the list from the late 80s/early 90s.

ey

Not sure it was Rex... I missed it if is was but no matter it's a useful list... Ta very thank you muchley :)

I think 47 102 in the new fave... true it had a cowl cut away but in 1990 it was a Tinsley loco in blue and Buzzard is quite a cool name.

No.2 end seen here with full buffer beam cowl.

No.1 end here without the cowl.

I'd say it lost the cowl when the end was changed so I'll alter my previous post to reflect this.

Looks like an interesting choice to me, don't forget to post us pics when finished. BTW 47102 has full water tanks around the battery boxes, I don't know if Bachmann's model of 47535 is like that (because it shouldn't be).

• RMweb Gold

No.2 end seen here with full buffer beam cowl.

No.1 end here without the cowl.

I'd say it lost the cowl when the end was changed so I'll alter my previous post to reflect this.

Looks like an interesting choice to me, don't forget to post us pics when finished. BTW 47102 has full water tanks around the battery boxes, I don't know if Bachmann's model of 47535 is like that (because it shouldn't be).

Too be honest although I was inspired by the Bachy 47 535 I will be using a Heljan Tubby Duff and I have some spare water tank bits.

I have 4 and I don't have the heart to change... I was one of the unfortunates who had locos with bendy-bananna chassis (I call them a Habanna chassis)... I got 2 loco chassis that needed replacing - and I had 2 knackered bodies to go with them - but lucky old me picked up a couple of undecorated spare bodies at the DEMU show... but I have been wondering what to do with them since... this is the story for one of them.......

Hi, you may find this of interest, there is a topic on this of sorts on the class 47 forum. Icannot post directly to the exact section but this should take you to the forum 47 forum , you then need the technical section, then just over half way down the first page you need to select "flush cab fronts"

Too be honest although I was inspired by the Bachy 47 535 I will be using a Heljan Tubby Duff and I have some spare water tank bits.

I have 4 and I don't have the heart to change...

All sounds good to me. Glenn and I now have 23 Heljan 47s with Lenz chips and we don't want to change them. Sure, they may be a little fat but I certainly don't notice and having them in such a mixture of liveries helps to detract from their width. Running wise they are a dream to operate. Anyway I digress, I'm off work for another week and also full of cold so I won't be up to much over the next few days in which case I'm thinking of writing out the complete list of flush fronts to post on here; shouldn't take too long.....

• RMweb Gold

Hi, you may find this of interest, there is a topic on this of sorts on the class 47 forum. Icannot post directly to the exact section but this should take you to the forum 47 forum , you then need the technical section, then just over half way down the first page you need to select "flush cab fronts"

Thanks very much :icon_thumbsup2: ... that info is going to be of great help (why didn't I do a search :icon_frustrated: )

There ya go, it was in Railways Illustrated.

I have actually typed up the list this afternoon and made some revisions by looking at the Class 47 website. I'm gonna try and ask the original author/s if I can post the list on here seeing as someone else went to the trouble of doing most of the research work.

Archived