The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Things that make you :)

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium

Sure that wasn't a flybe plane?. The local radio reports one of their reporters got on flybe  the it taxied out to the runway, turned round, back to the terminal, they were turfed off and told the company had gone bust..

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

And they’ve sold 3 out of 4!!!!! ;) 
”You can experience the steam that comes from the Big Boy in your own home.  Simply pour the steam (in its liquid state) into a common pan, place it on the stove, then turn the stove on to "high".  In just minutes, you have Big Boy steam!  “
49881E60-97F0-4722-AD44-83ED597D2012.jpeg.cb8148d285e69d31a31d6e52a26526f8.jpeg

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F274129454709

• Like 1
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Gold
51 minutes ago, teaky said:

Apparently, the healing waters at Lourdes are closed due to the Coronavirus.

We went to Lourdes at Easter (1963 or 1964). It was unbelievably cold especially at the baths where the healing waters are. Was not suffering with anything beforehand but miraculous that none of us died from pneumonia. 

• Like 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Gold
On 04/03/2020 at 10:23, kevinlms said:

Panic buying Australia style.

I picked up a 6 pack of double length yesterday and tonight there wasn't a single sheet of paper available. The weird thing is that most of it is made in Australia and the factory is now working 24/7 to attempt to keep up with demand.

The lady in front of me at the checkout started her own little speciality of panic buying. She had about 8 packets of cotton buds, each presumably containing 200!

Anyone got any clues as to what anyone might want with 1600 cotton buds?

Essential supplies.jpg

Tonight at my local Morrisons....FFS people get a grip!

20200306_192430.jpg

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, 4109 said:

Tonight at my local Morrisons....FFS people get a grip!

This morning at my local KJ's IGA, the tp shelves and hand sanitizer shelves were quite full.

• RMweb Gold

The idiots running the asylum, (where I work), have fitted ALL the shiny new hand sanitisers within ten feet of where there is already hot running water and soap dispensers available – called the “bathrooms”! (Although, technically, there are no baths involved in the said rooms but…)

Whilst the many wheezing and sneezing people, (in the open plan offices), have to pass through several doors, and corridors, to reach the mostly ineffectual “hand sanitisers” on their way to the much more effective sinks, soap and hot water!!

Maybe I have missed the point, and these new gel-dispensers are not in response to the Covid-19 virus, (where they are, admittedly, not much use), and that these hand sanitisers are for the (conscientious) staff leaving the bathrooms to disinfect their hands, (after previously washing their hands and pulling the bathroom door open), when previous user(s) haven’t washed their hands at all!

…..naaaaagh!

Kev.

(…..shaking head, while slyly smiling, walking away…)

• Like 7

29 minutes ago, SHMD said:

have fitted ALL the shiny new hand sanitisers within ten feet of where there is already hot running water and soap dispensers available – called the “bathrooms”!

Hopefully your lavatories are not equipped with the Dyson patented pneumatic germ broadcasters instead of paper towels for the drying of hands.

• Like 6
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Hopefully your lavatories are not equipped with the Dyson patented pneumatic germ broadcasters instead of paper towels for the drying of hands.

We don't have those awful "air knife things" if that's what you mean, but we have "air force" blowers instead - at least those point downwards - and no paper towels!

(..although a fair percentage use bog-roll or don't dry at all.)

Kev.

• Friendly/supportive 3

3 minutes ago, SHMD said:

We don't have those awful "air knife things" if that's what you mean, but we have "air force" blowers instead - at least those point downwards - and no paper towels!

The Dyson AirBlade throws water particles all over the place. Of course the water remaining on hands after hands are washed *should* be relatively clean, but might not be, and creating a wet-humid environment on the floor isn't very sterile. The downwards blowers create a lot of water on the floor as well, but don't throw it around as much as the original Dysons do.

I do see Dyson selling a new downward unit, but have never seen one installed.  Studies suggest that the earlier AirBlades spread bacteria 1,300 times more than paper towels and 60 times more than traditional downward blowers. Apparently the AirBlade V units "only" spread bacteria 28 times more than paper towels. 

• Informative/Useful 6

9 hours ago, teaky said:

Apparently, the healing waters at Lourdes are closed due to the Coronavirus.

I remember going to Scarborough years ago with my nan.

My nan knew that you just take a quick swig of the "waters". But all the tourists were gulping it down by the pint. 

"For gods sake, get to the lavatory as it'll be falling through you in about 10 minutes!"

It's a very good laxative and apparently they don't recommend drinking it anymore....

Maybe that's why they need all that bog roll.

:laugh:

Jason

• Like 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

The Dyson AirBlade throws water particles all over the place. Of course the water remaining on hands after hands are washed *should* be relatively clean, but might not be, and creating a wet-humid environment on the floor isn't very sterile. The downwards blowers create a lot of water on the floor as well, but don't throw it around as much as the original Dysons do.

I do see Dyson selling a new downward unit, but have never seen one installed.  Studies suggest that the earlier AirBlades spread bacteria 1,300 times more than paper towels and 60 times more than traditional downward blowers. Apparently the AirBlade V units "only" spread bacteria 28 times more than paper towels. 

The downward versions are not uncommon at motorway services here in the U.K.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Ian J. said:

The downward versions are not uncommon at motorway services here in the U.K.

Or in shopping centres, unfortunately.

Why can't they use decent ones?