The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Things that make you :)

Andy Y

2 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

Six may meet in public or in a private outdoor space such as a garden.  But you are still not allowed into a friend's house to use the toilet.  An oversight, perhaps?

If you watched the teatime update, you will find that a) Boris suggested even a barbeque could happen. b) Chris Wittie (I think that is his name) added that the idea is to have social distancing of 2m outside, even if it means going through the houise. As for a barbeque, you would have to be VERY careful if you did that, as things (plates etc?) will get passed around. As infection can occur from hands as well as droplets, EVERYTHING should be well sanitised. He then went on to say, using the toilet indeed has to happen, but again, everything sanitised again afterwards. So to say you are NOT allowed in the house is plainly wrong.

Edited by stewartingram
  • Informative/Useful 1

10 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

If you have an hour to spare :)

It may be a bit dated in some pc’ness but still makes me chuckle. 

I remember hearing that about 30 years ago and wondered if I would ever come across it - thanks for posting. Led to an enjoyable lunch break listening!

• RMweb Premium
37 minutes ago, stewartingram said:

If you watched the teatime update, you will find that a) Boris suggested even a barbeque could happen. b) Chris Wittie (I think that is his name) added that the idea is to have social distancing of 2m outside, even if it means going through the houise. As for a barbeque, you would have to be VERY careful if you did that, as things (plates etc?) will get passed around. As infection can occur from hands as well as droplets, EVERYTHING should be well sanitised. He then went on to say, using the toilet indeed has to happen, but again, everything sanitised again afterwards. So to say you are NOT allowed in the house is plainly wrong.

In the after-blurb (for want of a better term) it appears they have acknowledged the inevitable.  If you meet in a "private open place such as a garden" you may well need to use indoor facilities and "common sense should apply".

I did see the BBQ thing and the advice (for it is that and not a legally-enforceable edict) that we remain 2m from those in other households.  We would have to be careful but BBQs are also a place of disposable paper plates and plastic cups which are not of necessity either shared nor passed around.  But caution must prevail.  

In my opinion Boris has never been one to speak as plainly as the situation might require and of course in a very short time he cannot cover every possibility.  

But simply re-opening the way to spending time with more than one other person has already allowed me to arrange some social events (at which I shall carry sanitiser as I always now do) and that - as per the topic - makes me :D  

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

I have just seen on the BBC scrolling feed that from next Monday six people in the UK will be permitted to meet.

Where do I apply to make sure my name is in the hat to be drawn as one of the lucky six?

I wouldn't bother unless you know Dominic...

Kev.

• Like 2
  • Funny 5

38 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

I did see the BBQ thing and the advice (for it is that and not a legally-enforceable edict) that we remain 2m from those in other households.  We would have to be careful but BBQs are also a place of disposable paper plates and plastic cups which are not of necessity either shared nor passed around.  But caution must prevail.  

A BBQ strikes me as ideal, because if all the food is cooked on it, each individual can then serve themself directly and the heat will do the job of frying any virus. Happily we already have a supply of paper towels for the WC, in addition to paper plates, and disposable cutlery and plastic cups: all purchased some time ago for a completely different event, which sadly cannot go ahead in the foreseeable future.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

Those coming to meet in our garden will be offered the option: dig your own hole in the woodland over the fence, or take a chance on our downstairs karzi. We'll socially distance from it afterwards for several days...

I find people always distance themselves from the loo after I've been there........:rolleyes:

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 10

4 hours ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

(And on a related issue, the general closure of public lavatories is a real problem for many.)

The closing of fast food restaurants to sit-down dining in Canada, and allowing only drive through, plus the complete closure of places like tourist information centres has highlighted the fact that there are so few standalone public lavatories in the country. We found one yesterday which was open, and which had a "Toilet Open" sandwich board on the sidewalk outside.

(P.S. There are plenty of trees, though!)

Edited by pH
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

Six may meet in public or in a private outdoor space such as a garden.  But you are still not allowed into a friend's house to use the toilet.  An oversight, perhaps?

More of an overshite I would have thought?

Mike

• Funny 7

• RMweb Gold

Looking for something else and this popped up in your might like this’  Special?!? It certainly is! And that’s the starting bid ;)

I can think of several terms but special isn’t one! ;) 

wreck, scrap erc

82F29DFE-F180-4A3C-9ED8-8300C6DF53F9.jpeg.cbea44e92fdec9dd1cd9502221d9b350.jpeg

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
23 hours ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

I have just seen on the BBC scrolling feed that from next Monday six people in the UK will be permitted to meet.

Where do I apply to make sure my name is in the hat to be drawn as one of the lucky six?

Be careful what you wish for, you don't know who you might end up meeting...

dominic-cummings-durham-domestic-abuse-l

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

Looking for something else and this popped up in your might like this’  Special?!? It certainly is! And that’s the starting bid ;)

wreck, scrap erc

I think we can all guess who listed that!

4 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

wreck, scrap erc

To be fair to the seller, I believe  "Special Clockwork" is a description applied by Bassett Lowke to a series of locos with a "Special Clockwork" mechanism and does not refer to the state of the model!

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

14 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

wreck, scrap erc

This sort of "vendor" should be keelhauled for their misleading product description.  A crass example of keyword fishing!

• 3 Manufacturers named
  • 2 different Manufacturers product descriptions
  • Calling it a "locomotive" as it can't locomote.

O Gauge is just about permissable!

It either shows contempt for the customer or culpable ignorance on the part of the vendor.

I'd probably offer a fiver for it (inc delivery) as it might make a fun project. New chassis and wheels, a bit of panel beating and a replacement chimney and a black paintjob to turn it back into an LNWR King George V.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LNWR_George_the_Fifth_Class#/media/File:LNWR_locomotive_No._2663_George_the_Fifth.jpg

I located the auction on the manufacturer keyword string.  No bites yet.  The vendor also has an apparently working clockwork mechanism with all wheels for £10 more...

Edited by Hroth

18 minutes ago, Jonboy said:

I like the ingongruity of the steam engine working alongisde a huge Cat excavator, all operated a bunch of people in hard hats and high-vis.

• Like 3
  • Agree 3