The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Things that make you :)

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, luckymucklebackit said:

Probably the same guy that paints the faces on those cheap 100pcs 00 figures from China.

Almost certainly women, or perhaps even child labour!

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, kevinlms said:

Almost certainly women, or perhaps even child labour!

Almost certainly men too!

The Chinese are a very "equal opportunity" society - much more so than the UK.

Having lived (5 years) and travelling/worked all over China, I have never seen/experienced any child labour. Either directly, indirectly or anecdotally. Tons of oft repeated off the cuff comments on western fora though.

The Chinese love their offspring just as much as anywhere else - possibly even more so with the "Little Emperor" syndrome, produced as a side effect of the one-child policy.

I have seen lots of examples where kids accompany an adult to work though, (as a sort of child-care arrangement), but that's all over the world.   ;)

Kev.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, SHMD said:

Having lived (5 years) and travelling/worked all over China, I have never seen/experienced any child labour. Either directly, indirectly or anecdotally. Tons of oft repeated off the cuff comments on western fora though.

The Chinese love their offspring just as much as anywhere else - possibly even more so with the "Little Emperor" syndrome, produced as a side effect of the one-child policy.

I have seen lots of examples where kids accompany an adult to work though, (as a sort of child-care arrangement), but that's all over the world.   ;)

Kev.

Fair enough.

Ok it's US-centric but certainly fascinating all the same.

As it happens, the only 'fast food' chain we ever use is Subway. And that no more the a few times a year. We learnt about them when we visited Canada some years ago and before there were any over here, I think.

steve

2 hours ago, SHMD said:

Photographs of Chinese model railway factories demonstrably show gender roles in the process.

Men operate the machines - like the tampo printer. Women do all the assembly - particularly the fine detail work.

(No children though.)

1 hour ago, kevinlms said:

Some surprises too, for me at least.

It's interesting and somewhat like I expected, though I'm surprised there are still that many KFC outlets. It is worldwide data. KFC and Pizza Hut are declining in the US.

Subway exploded because they are relatively inexpensive franchises to acquire and have lower overheads - many small stores in non-corporate spaces. What the chart does not reflect is total revenue or the revenue per outlet.

I wonder what the worldwide footprint (outside of the US) is for Taco Bell. They are very common here.

• Informative/Useful 1

25 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

It's interesting and somewhat like I expected, though I'm surprised there are still that many KFC outlets. It is worldwide data. KFC and Pizza Hut are declining in the US.

Subway exploded because they are relatively inexpensive franchises to acquire and have lower overheads - many small stores in non-corporate spaces. What the chart does not reflect is total revenue or the revenue per outlet.

I wonder what the worldwide footprint (outside of the US) is for Taco Bell. They are very common here.

For what it's worth, the one in Great Yarmouth lasted barely a year.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, kevinlms said:

Not sure if this is the right place, but an interesting graph on fast food chains.

Some surprises too, for me at least.

https://public.flourish.studio/visualisation/1160235/?fbclid=IwAR3rfOscBZiVVoWBRygCj-DHQH8lyiyNOJw_VUTa8vuXo-aKFoN7Ef4r-As

My favorite is not on there; Arby's. They just opened one here; right in time for the lock-down! :o

I do like Subway and am surprised that it beat out McDonald's.

• RMweb Premium
41 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

...snip...I wonder what the worldwide footprint (outside of the US) is for Taco Bell. They are very common here.

I have not been in a Taco Belch in years and have no plans to change that. :yahoo_mini:

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

The varying juxtapositions often did not corollate to decline, so much, but to expansion into new markets.

The market share corresponded very well with what I saw in China - KFS everywhere, then McDonalds followed by Burger King (This had a good name in China for some time), then Subway mirrored closely by Starbucks and the plethora of clones.

China is a BIG market!

(There's a small Taco Bell in Manchester, it's lasted quite a while so far but is nowhere near as busy as KFC and Mc D's.)

Kev.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, J. S. Bach said:

I have not been in a Taco Belch

Taco Hell? I don't go there either. There is a similar but smaller chain called Del Taco that based in southern California. They are better, but it's still much the same.

12 minutes ago, J. S. Bach said:

My favorite is not on there; Arby's. 

I do like Subway and am surprised that it beat out McDonald's.

The local Arby's to me closed years ago. The building is now a Starbucks - with a drive-through. The old Starbucks (walk-in only) was 100m away. The drive-through kept them open during the pandemic lock-down.

There are Subways in a lot of rural areas on the side of the highway where there's not enough traffic for a McDonalds. It's possible to have very small Subways. Even locally, where there is one McDonalds there are three small Subways.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Ozexpatriate said:

35 minutes ago, great central said:

For what it's worth, the one in Great Yarmouth lasted barely a year.

7 minutes ago, SHMD said:

(There's a small Taco Bell in Manchester, it's lasted quite a while so far but is nowhere near as busy as KFC and Mc D's.)

There are nineteen in the City of Portland alone - not counting all the others in the surrounding suburbs.

• RMweb Gold

This made me smile, at the time, but now I think it was a bit prophetic.

I took this phot on my last travelling trip, on the way home, just before lockdown...

image.png.eb0dfde973837ad1da472cfb3a03425b.png

Kev.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
Just now, Ozexpatriate said:

Only 2,009 outlets (as of 2019). They don't come close to the worldwide top ten.

...So there's 9 of them outside of Manchester!

Kev.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1