The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Things that make you :)

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Jonboy said:

I bet they never thought that apart from demos at agricultural fairs there would ever be any other use for a ploughing engine.:no:

(They have a built in winch to to tow the plough across the field.)

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, melmerby said:

I bet they never thought that apart from demos at agricultural fairs there would ever be any other use for a ploughing engine.:no:

(They have a built in winch to to tow the plough across the field.)

When ploughing a field a matching pair of engines must be used, one with a right hand winch and one with a left hand winch, a mistake I've seen made on models.

Mike.

• Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

A pair of Fowler BB1 ploughing engines, with a Fowler Balance Plough....

IMG_20200430_173215.jpg.e936e42434d419a314683ce01ce436f9.jpg

There was also a system that used one engine, with a trolley mounted pulley on the opposite headbank of the field...

Edited by Sarahagain
more added
  • Like 8
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Premium
20 hours ago, Jonboy said:

We can expect to see steam traction engines cropping up in all kinds of modern settings when we can have exhibitions again.

- Richard.

• Like 4

On 30/05/2020 at 06:37, Hroth said:

This sort of "vendor" should be keelhauled for their misleading product description.  A crass example of keyword fishing!

• 3 Manufacturers named
  • 2 different Manufacturers product descriptions
  • Calling it a "locomotive" as it can't locomote.

O Gauge is just about permissable!

It either shows contempt for the customer or culpable ignorance on the part of the vendor.

I'd probably offer a fiver for it (inc delivery) as it might make a fun project. New chassis and wheels, a bit of panel beating and a replacement chimney and a black paintjob to turn it back into an LNWR King George V.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LNWR_George_the_Fifth_Class#/media/File:LNWR_locomotive_No._2663_George_the_Fifth.jpg

I located the auction on the manufacturer keyword string.  No bites yet.  The vendor also has an apparently working clockwork mechanism with all wheels for £10 more...

No , he only named 2 manufacturers - Bassett Lowke is spelt with two t's, Basset is a dog!

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

8 minutes ago, eastglosmog said:

No , he only named 2 manufacturers - Bassett Lowke is spelt with two t's, Basset is a dog!

Well, we knew what he meant! fredbasset.png.594f5fb207d200fa4657877b297d3c90.png

Anyhow, that's either more ignorance OR its to catch the others who can't spell either....

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, big jim said:

At a local farm shop earlier a dragon fly hovered about and landed on my finger, only a baby one by the look of things but managed to get a couple of good pics with the phone!

Nice photos.  It's a damsel fly though, not a dragon fly.  Dragon flies tend to be larger and rest with their wings stretched out.

https://www.britannica.com/animal/damselfly

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1