Politics = locked

Apparently poking gentle fun at slightly pompous postings is also off limits: I recently tried to pop some of the pomposity surrounding the P4 argument but had my postings either deleted or refused without being told what I had done wrong, whereas far more provocative postings remain in the topic or have been posted subsequent to mine.

JE

There do seem to be certain people who are allowed to get away with things that others can't Funny handshakes? :nono:

Ed

• RMweb Gold

There do seem to be certain people who are allowed to get away with things that others can't Funny handshakes? :nono:

Ed

Someone has to bring a degree of politics into this thread too :ok:

I don't think I'll ever understand why there is this inherent need in people to push the boundaries and then complain if they are taken to task. We have a wonderful resource here, one that is free, but is also able through it's membership to answer within minutes virtually any question thrown at it. Yes it has certain rules to prevent personal attacks or posting items that may cause offence, but it's not compulsory to take part.

Perhaps someone can explain why they feel it necessary to step outside this structure...

Oh and don't give that old chestnut about changing, challenging or improving. That can just as easily be achieved without confrontation or causing offence. It just takes a little more care in choosing your words, the ability to listen to reasoned argument without using sarcasm and then opening your mind to the fact you might just be ill informed, incorrect in your assumption or that there may be a better way of doing something.

Someone has to bring a degree of politics into this thread too :ok:

Ah, but that is politics with a small 'p' - a more inward looking and permissible debate, that might be of use to the future of RMWeb :D Unlike the Politics with the big 'P' which has nothing to offer RMWeb but discourse.

...Your lucky I don't type "of" for "have" like a lot of Sheffielders seem to do :D

You're lucky...

:)

...and unfortunately "of" instead of "have" isn't limited to people from Sheffield. They should of tried harder at school.

• RMweb Gold
I seem to have stirred the cauldron with a large wooden spoon

Terry, you posted internet junk. The sort of inane drivel which goes round and round on email groups and inboxes, and which RMweb is normally mercifully free of.

I think you should go back and delete it.

Oh, sorry, you can't do that. It's been locked in place.

Martin.

Guys, look on the bright side, you can break the sex, politics and religion thing just by mentioning <insert politicians name here> dressed as a nun.

Mind you having observed an unknown gricer kissing a 31 the other week I suspect the recent ped themed photographs may break the sex or religion rules in certain quarters also.

At least you can use a wooden spoon for other things as well, and they are far more pleasurable than stirring cauldrons.

As a Moderator on sites Elsewhere - I'd entirely agree with Andys method- there are some posts allowed to continue that on some other sites, would result in moving the perpetrator onto "Moderated posting" IE it doesn't appear till we have cleared it (like maybe when we have time!), or an outright ban. Moderation on here is quitefair and lenient, and long may it continue

As a Moderator on sites Elsewhere - I'd entirely agree with Andys method- there are some posts allowed to continue that on some other sites, would result in moving the perpetrator onto "Moderated posting" IE it doesn't appear till we have cleared it (like maybe when we have time!), or an outright ban. Moderation on here is quitefair and lenient, and long may it continue

Viva la republica!

I am highly in favour of not having politics on here. The problem is, some people don't understand what 'politics' are. Just because something comes without a party label it doesn't make it non political. Practically any comment on how society is organised is in its very essence political. We should keep the focus on small trains - and big ones.

BTW I can argue politics all day, I did it at Uni, but this is not the place for it. The only 'politics' which may be kosher here are those related to the various model railway societies. And even here, I'll defer to the judgement of the Mods.

• RMweb Gold
I am highly in favour of not having politics on here.

Just to repeat, this topic is NOT about whether to allow political discussions on RMweb. The rules say no, and that's that.

This topic is about what is the appropriate way to deal with transgressions? I think locking them in place makes no sense at all.

Poor Andy. Kenton with his Javascript and Martin with his locked topics. smile.gif

Martin.

• RMweb Gold

I don't think I'll ever understand why there is this inherent need in people to push the boundaries and then complain if they are taken to task. We have a wonderful resource here, one that is free, but is also able through it's membership to answer within minutes virtually any question thrown at it. Yes it has certain rules to prevent personal attacks or posting items that may cause offence, but it's not compulsory to take part.

Perhaps someone can explain why they feel it necessary to step outside this structure...

Oh and don't give that old chestnut about changing, challenging or improving. That can just as easily be achieved without confrontation or causing offence. It just takes a little more care in choosing your words, the ability to listen to reasoned argument without using sarcasm and then opening your mind to the fact you might just be ill informed, incorrect in your assumption or that there may be a better way of doing something.

But that's no fun....

HEY it's my train set i will run what i want , it's my forum , y'all are welcome but it's my rules . if the politics concern a railway that could be ok , if it concerns modeling in any form , that could also be ok .if ya want to discuss the real world politics , religion etc go to the appropriate forum and have your say . I for one am with Andy 100% i like to keep it all railways , lord knows there is a plethora of stuff to go on about in that realm alone . let's keep it fun and educational shall we you guys can be hilariuos at times and i get a big kick out of the smart remarks on here .Love it just like it is :-)

martin

To repeat for the umpteenth time, this topic is NOT about whether politics should be discussed on RMweb. Sigh.

Martin.

Well, the admin policy is apparently to lock the topic and inform us why its locked, if the thread is deleted don't people tend to bombard Andy and the Mods (which sounds like a really bad punk group) with questions asking where it is? So, unless it is offensive why delete it?

Archived