HS4000 - Stored in Russia

• RMweb Gold

it certainly gets a good turn of speed up along the back wall of brush!!

loving the vid of it running through wembley from marylebone too

out of interest google maps has been updated to new HD iimages n the area where kestrel was last seen in russia

Some good shots of Falcon there, including running through Cambridge. Also, just before that, the headcode show 1-84, the Liverpool St. to Kingg Lynn (via Cambridge) route. I reckon there were some sequence changes, as I thought the headcode shot could have been Cambridge South; the journey following being from possibly Liverpool St. to Cambridge. Whilst at school in Cambridge, Falcon settled down to a spell on 1B66 Cambridge Buffet Express (KGX), though earlier on I did see it on the Liv.St. route - possibly when the film was made?

Stewart

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Settle for memories of the loco rather than waste a lot of money building a replica which would have to be built to the latest emissions and technical spec.

Quite

The baby Deltic project can only happen because a complete engine is already in distance. Similarly the people wanting to build an Ivatt diesel replica thought it was viable because they were able to secure a engine pretty much identical to the original.

You can forget any chance of building a replica diesel if the original engine doesn't exist anymore. Emission regs actively prevent a "replica engine" being constructed within the EU

• RMweb Premium

Couldn't a Russian TEP70 engine be imported?

Cheers

Andy

If the engine already exists - then yes of course it can be imported -the emission regs only apply to new build engines (including replicas). Repair or restoration of an existing engine is not affected by the rules (hence the interest in returning class 60s / 56s / 37s or even 58s to service).

Why not just modify the body shell of an existing Class47 as a Kestrel lookalike, leaving all the internal & working gubbins the same ? A lot cheaper and would be acceptable to most, except perhaps the Model Railway Journal brigade (wrong flanges) !!

Brit15

• RMweb Gold

Just seen in RailExpress that somebody in Russia has some original panels from Kestrel and a group here seems to be going to repatriate them and build a replica !

Will be interesting to see how this pans out.

Hope the sanctions don`t scupper this scheme.

I've got an oil feeder once used on an Aberdare. Game on!

• RMweb Premium

Are there no other Sulzer 16LVA24 engines out there? I've no idea as it is before my time but Sulzer and their licensees supplied an awful lot of engines in that era so it is entirely possible another engine is out there to buy.

Are there no other Sulzer 16LVA24 engines out there? I've no idea as it is before my time but Sulzer and their licensees supplied an awful lot of engines in that era so it is entirely possible another engine is out there to buy.

Well there's this snippet of info on another thread reference V16 sulzers:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/269-kestrel-sound/?p=1333

Further down someone mentions that some may have found use as standby generators. Sounds almost as big a challenge as finding original Kestrel parts.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for that link. Given that in marine applications these are small engines and marine customers tend to prefer engines with fewer cylinders for maintenance purposes I'm not sure the V16 would have sold many in that industry but there may well be generators used as auxiliary back up units in power stations and buildings, hospitals etc. One source of info for anybody with a serious interest in a project like this would be to talk to Wartsila who bought New Sulzer Diesel which is the company that Sulzer's diesel interests were spun off into. The Winterthur busness has now been sold again (at least 70% of it) to Chinese interests but their archives and service department would be able to help in tracing 16LVA24 engines I think.

• RMweb Premium

I think a replica which puts a HS4000 body copy onto a class 47 defeats the point really. OK, we could see what Kestrel looked like but not hear it and we would all know it was just a replica body shell. This is like saying that we don't need to preserve aircraft as we could just use those fibre glass replicas that the RAF used for taking to roadshows and stuff. Yes, it looks just like a Jaguar or whatever but ultimately it is just a giant plastic kit. If we were to go to the effort of ever trying to build a replica HS4000 (a project I'd love to see) then if you are going to so much effort anyway you might as well do it properly. After all, the A1 people didn't just buy an existing pacific and then try and figure out how to make it look like an A1.

• RMweb Gold

Despite my earlier comment, there appears to be a considerable amount of parts still available for a 'Kestrel' replica.

Apart from the obvious power plant issue, you will need some class 47 bogies, which will need modification, I understand. A lot of the control components are also happily, class 47 also. Not such a daft idea, after all. 

However, the completed locomotive will probably exceed the current weight limit, unless that has been raised in recent years. 135 tons, over 6 axles?

Ian

• RMweb Premium

Just found this on Youtube - fantastic !!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqeGfWUrDcc

Also this for Falcon fans

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpexIgmtVNk

Brit15

Really enjoyed the videos, especially the Falcon one. I wonder what traction emgineers would say today if you said you wanted a steam heating boiler with the water tank being topped up from water troughs? Think of all the spray over the traction motors etc.. In comparison, modern trains don't like getting wet passing through Dawlish.

• 2 months later...

Archived