HS4000 - Stored in Russia

• 2 months later...

has anybody thought of posting this on derelict places or 28 days later the urban explorers love a good mystery and many off them are sending reports back from the ussr of some fantastic places that have been simply abandoned

pripyat is a very popular one would love to go there myself

• 2 weeks later...

May be we could make a replica. We should be able to do it. We managed to make a new steam loco so why not make a replica kestrel next.

Just one question, where would the Sulzer 16LVA24 engine come from? There was never a production line for the engine, so producing a replica could be a problem?

Just one question, where would the Sulzer 16LVA24 engine come from? There was never a production line for the engine, so producing a replica could be a problem?

Perhaps Pete Waterman's apprentices could knock one and a spare out, after they've finished 37683 :stinker:

Yes please.

Ed

It was a link to a post on my blog - glad you liked what you saw! I just post railway related things on there, anything I've been to or found interesting as well as modelling. Glad someone likes it :)

• 2 months later...

I did a Google search for Kolomna in Russia. and had a bit scroll around and came across this satellite view which contains something that very much looks like KESTREL HS400 from above but as it not very clear it is difficult to be sure of as the colours look right for the said locomotive.

Sorry if I'm not very clear as where to but there is a blue roofed building and if you come slight south from there a light grey roof out line of a locomotive is in the middle of no where. But the biggest problem is knowing how old that image is as it could be 4to 6 years.

Kestra. But if it is. blink.gif blink.gif blink.gif blink.gif blink.gif

Link to Google Maps.

Terry

whilst looking back through some old posts i clicked on the link above, bad news!!!

if you follow this link now, 'kestrel' has gone!!!

I know I run the risk of bringing up something that has been discussed to death (or scrap maybe the more appropriate term). However, I was just wondering if anyone knew how long the HS4000 had been outside in the 1985 photograph. By the looks of it I would have a very rough guess of about three or four years by the overgrowth (possibly more).

Now the reason I ask is that there have been suggestions that the condition of the body would have deteriorated to the extent where it was essentially just rust. Having looked at the photograph, if it has been outside for a number of years I am surprised at how good the condition of the train actually was, there appears to be no major visible rust. Would I be right in assuming that this is a good thing or could there be rust concealed in the depths of the loco?

So essentially what I am suggesting is that if (and it is a big IF) the loco did survive until the early noughties then it could have been in better condition than expected, despite the climate. I am pretty certain the loco does not exist any longer as I would be surprised that there are no images of it on the net (there are plenty of images online regarding Soviet technology such as the Ekranoplanes and Buran etc).

One final quick question, does anyone know of any Russian Rail Forums that would be able to assist us with any further information or pictures?

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Only five 16LVA24 engines were built. One was fitted in 'Kestrel', later scrapped in Russia. A second was the type test O.R.E. engine which was later scrapped at Oberwinterthur. The three remaining engines ended up at power stations, two at Schaffhausen, Switzerland, and one at Dunkirk, France - all as standby generators, and all still believed to be in service (information from the http://www.derbysulzers.com/engineer.html web page

Only five 16LVA24 engines were built. One was fitted in 'Kestrel', later scrapped in Russia. A second was the type test O.R.E. engine which was later scrapped at Oberwinterthur. The three remaining engines ended up at power stations, two at Schaffhausen, Switzerland, and one at Dunkirk, France - all as standby generators, and all still believed to be in service (information from the http://www.derbysulzers.com/engineer.html web page

So a replica HS 4000 is could be plausible using a  modified Class 47 body + one of the above, when they are sold out of service.

XF

Archived