Parrot Hall - 80/90?s 25kv NW suburban in OO.

kevpeo

On 28/09/2019 at 11:26, kevpeo said:

Its been a while, but I've not been idle -

323.JPG.2d4e43cf7ccadb0dce62576d9cba4d55.JPG

The first time all three cars have been assembled and coupled together, on Loch Dour in this case. The front car seems to have a little ''list''!

Once I collect the 323 v5 decoder from Bif at Wigan show and can get that wired in, the unit is then ready for a test run on Coppell at Workington show in November. I'm now at the end of the ''distruction and reconstruction'' faze. She will get another coat of primer this afternoon (the third) then she should hopefully be ready for adding the detail and window bars to the body and all the underframe gear. I photo'd both sides of a unit at Liverpool last Saturday ready for this. Kev.

that a funny looking class 325 lol

• Funny 1

• 3 weeks later...

Now that our show is out of the way I can crack on with the 323. The underframe details are as close as I can fathom from the photo's, a mix of scratch and re-used 158 bits!263308860_323undergumings.JPG.2afbac7ae6995337ad9fb10952d09178.JPG

Ignore the 158 gearboxes as they are not visible when the right way up! It's not perfect, but mostly somewhere near, that probably sums up the build! The bogie sideframes may also get swapped for something more accurate if I can get some, but will do for now. I also picked up the sound decoder from Bif at Wigan show so the interior of the power car is also done and sounds lovely! -

787148836_323powercar.JPG.90a71ff72a8740937a4be6798ad30c99.JPG

Much black paint required I think!  The 'leaning over' speaker is under the pantograph well, so will not fit vertically. Attention has now turned back to detailing the body shells.

In other news I was chatting to Mark D (MRDblue) about busses, and how I would like a GMPTE coloured Leyland National on PH, and guess what, he has one!  I few beers may have to be heading his way!  This may arrive with me in time for, or at, PH's next booked appearance at Railex NE, 18/19 July 2020. Kev.

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Gold

I'm really looking forward to seeing this 323 unit.

I wish I had the skill and patience to do what you've done as the 323 units are my favourite the first type of unit I've driven on the mainline.

If you need any photos of the underframe I can do that no problem at all as we have two units that stable in Coventry North Yard every night. And I prep them for service most mornings.

Keep up the great work.

Cheers 

Colin

• Like 1

Thanks Colin, I managed to get photo's of both sides of the underframes at Liverpool Lime St a few weeks ago. Its the shadows that are harder to fathom! But I think I got most of the visible bits.

I also forgot to mention, for those a little further south, PH has also been invited to Canterbury in Jan 2021. Kev.

• Like 3

Hi Kev, 

That new unit is going to look really good. Is that you using those round speakers already too.

The bus will look quite at home on PH and by Railex will hopefully have a nice T Brady lorry you can borrow and will need to sneak one onto Bere Banks too! 

Cheers

Mark

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, MRDBLUE17 said:

Hi Kev, 

That new unit is going to look really good. Is that you using those round speakers already too.

The bus will look quite at home on PH and by Railex will hopefully have a nice T Brady lorry you can borrow and will need to sneak one onto Bere Banks too! 

Cheers

Mark

On 19/10/2019 at 20:31, MRDBLUE17 said:

Hi Kev, 

Cheers

Mark

Yes Mark, they are two of your speakers in the 323! Thanks again for them. Only 1w ones, so two will not be too big a draw on the decoder I hope. I'm not sure what Kev was going to add to his quote, but I bet it had something to do with Brady's!  Thanks, Kev.

• Like 1

On 27/10/2019 at 09:43, kevpeo said:

Yes Mark, they are two of your speakers in the 323! Thanks again for them. Only 1w ones, so two will not be too big a draw on the decoder I hope. I'm not sure what Kev was going to add to his quote, but I bet it had something to do with Brady's!  Thanks, Kev.

It was and we had a chat via messenger about them. We will see what models appear soon.

Thanks

Mark

• Informative/Useful 1

Still on the wrong layout, and no wires, but -1953950530_323nearlythere.JPG.6161ea5b7501432d6a9b37fe49da8157.JPG

A lot more detail on now though! Main jobs now are the window bars, which are defo the last (!) and interiors. All ready for it's test run now. If anybody wants a look at Workington it will be around somewhere. Kev.

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 8

4 hours ago, kevpeo said:

Still on the wrong layout, and no wires, but -1953950530_323nearlythere.JPG.6161ea5b7501432d6a9b37fe49da8157.JPG

A lot more detail on now though! Main jobs now are the window bars, which are defo the last (!) and interiors. All ready for it's test run now. If anybody wants a look at Workington it will be around somewhere. Kev.

that a funny looking class 365 

• Funny 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 26/08/2019 at 19:51, kevpeo said:

After a break since showcase doing Coppell stuff and stock boxes, the nice weather got me out on the patio with knife, chisels and files -IMG_0237.JPG.7edafaff4a00cb5aa967dea71117232c.JPG

Two more 323 sides filed out, two to go. Of course the patio is now covered in bits of plasticard and dust, but no doubt the wind and rain will be along shortly to clean up after me! Kev.

Great!

Where did you get the plans and dimensions from to craft this?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Funny how luck plays a hand sometimes. While attending Preston show last weekend I was standing in front of one of layouts talking to fellow RMWebber Jeremy Davison when he enquired about the progress of the 323.  As I explained it had got stuck, due to being unable to find any suitable tinted glazing material to finish it off,  he smiled and said ‘’ I have some!’’  So, courtesy of Jeremy’s kind offer to bring it in the following day, and a lift home with local trader John from Crafty Hobbies on the Sunday I was able to pop into Johns shop yesterday and collect it. Thanks very much both.

So with no excuses left, the 323 and assorted other things had a trip to the garage today for a little weathering session prior to the glazing going in.

To stop myself being tempted to start too early, instead of letting the paint harden,  I distracted myself by re-starting the 305 kit! Onwards and upwards!  Kev.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

While I'm waiting for the first of the glazing to set in the 323, some more has been done on the 305/2 -

963685006_305stepone.JPG.738dc3a60dd313d4d578b13b33278e1f.JPG

The bogies had aready been assembled, so the next step was the basic body assembly and couplings. This one is gangwayed throughout, so set up for that. I always do the couplings so the set cannot be assembled in the wrong order. Although I will be able to drop out the trailer if I fancy a three car. Kev.

• Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 1