Hornby Class 153, which DCC chip?

508EMU

Hi everybody!

Firstly, Merry Christmas!

I got given the DCC Hornby elite pack today for christmas, Santa knows just what I want ;)

I have a DCC ready Hornby class 153, but I now need a DCC decoder for it. Which one should I buy as I have no idea! :lol:

• RMweb Gold

Hi everybody!

Firstly, Merry Christmas!

I got given the DCC Hornby elite pack today for christmas, Santa knows just what I want wink.gif

I have a DCC ready Hornby class 153, but I now need a DCC decoder for it. Which one should I buy as I have no idea! laugh.gif

Thanks tongue.gif

Hi,

merry xmas to you.

This is one of those questions that has an answer that dosnt really help as i would say it depends on how much you would like to spend.

A Hornby chip will work well and you can get them for ??8.

Or you could use a Bachmann chip which from memory are about ??10

It all depends what you can get from your local shop and how much money you would like to spend

hope that helps

cheers

Simon

• Like 1

Just a small caution here: both of the suggested decoders will work well in the 153 but if you wish to run two or more in multiple, you may need to consider a more expensive chip that supports advanced consisting. I presently have two with Hornby decoders factory-fitted and am happy with their running qualities bit I have consisted them using the old-style "brute force" consisting available on the NCE Power Pro / Power Cab systems.

For the future, with a third one in Wessex Trains black livery on the way to join my two in Wessex Trains pink and blue liveries (Electra Graphics overlays), I will be giving strong consideration to TCS DP2X-UK decoders which will give the control and features I want, together with advanced consisting, and no trailing wires. There are many other possible decoders to suit as well from several other manufacturers.

• Like 1

I'll second what SRman says.

The Hornby decoder doesn't allow much adjustment, has a very low power rating and is limited for consisting (no advanced consisting).

Simon mentioned the Bachmann decoder, by which I think he means the 3 function model. These have more adjustable CV's and a higher power rating for both the motor and function outputs. They do lack one function compared to the Hornby, but are more robust all round. Same limitation on consisting though.

Expect to pay ??9.00 for these.

If tempted by the Hornby, make sure it's the latest R8249 and don't be palmed off with the older R8215 which was a pile of rubbish and has been withdrawn by Hornby. Some model shops may still carry stock of the old one.

• Like 1

Merry Christmas.

Another decoder not mentioned, and worth considering, is bachmanns 36-552 2 function with 8 pin plug.

This decoder is bachmanns original release, and in my view the better, due to it having CV19 for advanced consisting and a one amp output.

Jeff

• Like 1

Ok thanks for the Help!

I decided to go for the Hornby one in the end, but I have taken note of the decoders mentioned here and I am likely to use them in the future on my other models.

Thanks again! :P

but I have taken note of the decoders mentioned here and I am likely to use them in the future on my other models.

It is always a good idea to try several different decoders when you are starting in DCC. While this sounds expensive, you only need to trial 3 or 4 to see what works for you and you won't waste money as they'll all work in something. I have 120 locos etc with decoders now and I didn't waste my money on any of them! (I've also only had 2 break and they were replaced under the guarantee).

Just a note about the Bachmann decoder.

It is very good, however it needs adjusting to work proper;y in the 153.

the Back EMF settings need to be adjusted or the model will run erratically at low speed.

IIRC CVs 53 an 54 need changing.

Just a note about the Bachmann decoder.

It is very good, however it needs adjusting to work proper;y in the 153.

the Back EMF settings need to be adjusted or the model will run erratically at low speed.

IIRC CVs 53 an 54 need changing.

i have the same problem with my dcc ready Northern class 153 as they didnt have the dcc fitted one in stock, and i fitted a Bachmann decoder to it and now it doesnt run smooth.

do u have to change both cv 53 and 54? which value do i set it to?

cheers and happy new year

• RMweb Gold

i have the same problem with my dcc ready Northern class 153 as they didnt have the dcc fitted one in stock, and i fitted a Bachmann decoder to it and now it doesnt run smooth.

If you use Ops Mode programming, or Programming on the Main, you can adjust these - and almost all other - CVs while the unit is running, enabling you to try a whole host of values and slowly closing in on the one that suits you and your model. Check the instructions for your DCC Command Station for how to do this. If you ever use sound decoders, Ops Mode is the only sensible way to adjust chuff rate, brake squeal etc, but it works just as well when you have no idea what value to try, and can play with values very rapidly.

I've put my usual TCS T1 in both of my 153s, and afer a bit of tweaking I'm very pleased with the running . Advanced consisting is fully supported , and with skateboards, consisting is very desirable . I hadn't realised the Bachmann/ESU decoder didn't support it but I am not likely to consist the 108 - Blacklade can't handle 4 car DMUs (or 2 x 2 car)

I have 3 Hornby 153, one has a howes esu decoder, and runs and sounds a treat.

The other two i fitted with Bachmann decoders, and to confirm what has been said, they ran terribly until i adjusted CV53/54.

Never experienced a Hornby ready chipped diesel.

If i cannot afford a top end chip, i have always used the Bachmann ones, and they are adequate for my needs.

Just noticed the cheapest Hornby 153, is a DCC fitted one at Hattons for ??49. R2758x

Having had no experience of their decoders, how does this model run, does it perform similar to one fitted with a Bachmann chip.

Anyone running one care to comment.

If you are using the 36-553 Bachmann 3 function decoder, enter the value of 10 in CV54 & 50 in CV55, Not sure what it does,

but it made my Hornby Class 153 run a lot smoother.

K9-70

Today went to Hattons and came away with The wessex 153, a Bachmann decoder 36-553, and two Dapol coach lighting strips.

Fitted decoders before, but not additional lighting. Any tips/advice.

Basically im looking to connect the lights to the blue function common positive,and green F1.

on the decoder

Today went to Hattons and came away with The wessex 153, a Bachmann decoder 36-553, and two Dapol coach lighting strips.

Fitted decoders before, but not additional lighting. Any tips/advice.

Basically im looking to connect the lights to the blue function common positive,and green F1.

on the decoder

Took the plunge, cut the blue and green decoder wires and connected them to the two Dapol light bar wires, and bingo i have instant coach lighting controlled on F1.

Fine tuned the limited range of CVs,and my new wessex unit runs, and looks great.

Now need some interesting passengers.

• 9 years later...

Sorry to awaken this thread from it’s final resting place but...

Don’t have many 8 pin decoders and this bachy one loooks mighty tight to fit in under the roof ....do t wanna force it....would it be better get a flat chip ?post-450-0-04221600-1548002544_thumb.jpeg

• 4 months later...