Rough Engineering Made Easy, Making me own Brush 4

• RMweb Premium

Not too sure about that Squadron stuff, I had to clean my file a lot more than I would have done with Milliput. The finish is almost the same, I have had some dodgy finishes with Milliput when it gets old. No other work on it apart form filing off the excess filler.

post-16423-0-43537100-1516304419.jpg

post-16423-0-94833300-1516304430_thumb.jpg

Peter mentioned the BRCW Lion the other night. Look what I came across today.

post-16423-0-06828600-1516304487_thumb.jpg

Not as good as the Heljan model, except I think I got the ivory finish better than Heljan's lilly white.

Now had BRCW not had Wilkes and Ashmore interfere help with Lion's looks it could have been something like this.

post-16423-0-68668000-1516304623.jpg

Stay tooned for more Brush four.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Clive,

What about one of those Cuban "Class 47s" built by Clayton?

Hi Peter

When I built the non working but being worked Type 4 with its radiators held up I took the radiators off another one.

post-16423-0-73129100-1516363654_thumb.jpg

This has been ear marked as a Cuban 48 for a long time. Last year when I built the class 48 I found out that Castro's engines not only had different radiators but also engine room roofs.

post-16423-0-49719800-1516363667_thumb.jpg

It is on the cards as they did run on BR metals before being sent to Cuba.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Fascinating thought on the BRC&W Type 4. It had never dawned on me that they already had an "in house" style with the 26/27/33 that vanished with "Lion".

John.

Hi John

I have a collection of could have beens, they all need finishing off. The English Electric ones have been painted but none of the others have.

This one will be D666.....a NBL diesel electric type 4

post-16423-0-97035800-1516365337_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Is there any British (non-steam) loco you've not attempted Clive?

Bet you've not done the NBL/Parsons gas-turbine ordered by the Ministry of Fuel  & Power in the early 1950s though.....

Hi Peter

I have the drawings, wasn't going to be like the Union Pacific turbines fired by coal dust?

There is quite a few. The Fell, the GWR gas turbines, some of the early LMS shunters, the GWR gas turbine converted to an electric loco, a class 82 and D2999. I did start classes 83, 84 and 85 but gave them away before finishing them. Class 74 electro -diesel, I did start a class 71 and two of the Hornbys but a change in modelling direction called time on them. Bulleid's 0-6-0 shunter. BEL 1 and 2. The NER and Woodhead electrics. 

I better get my act together and build them.

One of my biggest inspirations was seeing conversion done by some geezer in Model Railway Constructor and a book he done about modelling diesels, just wish I could remember his name. :scratchhead:

• RMweb Premium

Not much progress tonight.

I marked and cut out the layers of plastic card that will give the tanks and battery boxes their depth. only to find I had made them too short so after at first saying sod it, I went back and done one side. Luckily the miss-measurement was between the complicated bits on the ends so I inserted some scrap plastic card and this will be covered by the battery boxes. Only one side done tonight.

post-16423-0-07389000-1516403535_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Hi John

I have a collection of could have beens, they all need finishing off. The English Electric ones have been painted but none of the others have.

attachicon.gif021.JPG

Yes, this would have been even more lumbering than the D600's with all the electrical gubbins. Wise of them to use a 1Co-Co1 chassis to spread the weight a bit!

Off on a tangent but just before Christmas I came across my 2 Joueff Class 40's, not run in at least 30 years I guess. Took out of box, plonked on track and they roared away - how amazing is that.

John.

• Like 1

The NBL DE type4 would be a interesting loco, will NBLs ability to add weight. The D600 came in at 117 tons, and the DE class 21 was about 5 tons heavier than the DH class 22. That would put it at 127 tons, so needing the 1Co bogies, which would add another (let's be generous) 5 tons. That would give you a 2000bhp 132 ton loco with the legendary NBL reliability. All this when Swindon was designing the same BHP loco for only 80tons. Wonder why it never got built?

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I marked out where the radiators are and started filing one side, after a few strokes I heard CRUNCH!!!!!! I had a look and the windscreen had broken. Not the end of the world I can knock a replacement up.

Trying to get an angled flat area on rounded surface is quite hard and I think to do both sides will take some time. No photo tonight as time is running out, spent too long gluing cork to baseboards.

Edit Tomorrow's photo will include the broken windscreen.

• RMweb Premium

I am still working on the radiators It is going to take a long time to file the area flat enough to either lay a set of closed Serck shutters or the earlier 3 part fixed radiator. Still can't make my mind up. :dontknow:

As you can see scratchbuilding has its problems, looking at the damage I can either cut out the windscreen and make a new one or replace the pillars. It is mendable.  :sungum:

post-16423-0-83529400-1516747510_thumb.jpg

post-16423-0-50771800-1516747522_thumb.jpg

post-16423-0-93272400-1516747529_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

I am still working on the radiators It is going to take a long time to file the area flat enough to either lay a set of closed Serck shutters or the earlier 3 part fixed radiator. Still can't make my mind up. :dontknow:

As you can see scratchbuilding has its problems, looking at the damage I can either cut out the windscreen and make a new one or replace the pillars. It is mendable.  :sungum:

attachicon.gif100_4721a.jpg

attachicon.gif100_4723a.jpg

attachicon.gif100_4726a.jpg

Clive I have had old (thirty year old) plasticard go brittle. Could this have happened here?

Tim T

• RMweb Premium

Clive I have had old (thirty year old) plasticard go brittle. Could this have happened here?

Tim T

Hi Tim

No it was lack of care by a 60 year old with a file. I can do the same thing with something I built the day before and with new plastic card. Press too hard and very little flex in the model something has to give. It happens.

• 1 month later...

That's some great modelling there Clive. Once I can get meself more plasticard hopefully I can start some more 'proper' modelling.

EDIT: Sorry I've spammed your notifications box with 'DoubleDeckInterurban rated your post Like and Craftsmanship/Clever!' I have a habit of doing that. :D

Edited by DoubleDeckInterurban

• RMweb Premium

Brush 4s do seem like a strange model to scratch build as there have been so many RTR ones (5 or 6).

Would I be right in saying it was made to use up some spare 47 bogies?

I do have a soft spot for the old Hornby ones.

But you are getting that 47 shape very well.

• RMweb Premium

Brush 4s do seem like a strange model to scratch build as there have been so many RTR ones (5 or 6).

Would I be right in saying it was made to use up some spare 47 bogies?

I do have a soft spot for the old Hornby ones.

But you are getting that 47 shape very well.

Hi Martin

the bogies are left overs from a cut and shut Baby Deltic using a Tri-ang Type 3 body.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi John

attachicon.gif021.JPG

I dunno Clive, I reckon D666 should have the D600-style bonnets :P

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I dunno Clive, I reckon D666 should have the D600-style bonnets :P

Now the NBL design team did think about that until some geezer at BR said it will be too long for the L1 loading gauge. :rtfm:

Edit....And it won't fit in Clive's shoe box with the other N-gins.