Hattons Model Railways of Widnes (formerly Liverpool).

tractor_37260

• RMweb Premium

Rick,

I can add products to my basket without any problems at all using OS X10.10.5 and on both iPads, one with Safari 8.4.1 and one with 7.0.4

Have you tried clearing the cache?

Cache cleared.  Mac Keeper (for all its alleged faults) run.  Ad Block lifted for the duration in case.  Firewall checked.  Site revisited.  Same problem.

I've traded emails with a member of their sales staff.  After three messages each way I have been able to place a simple order for one stocked item.  No mention has been made by them of the technical issues I raised.

The problem is far more likely to be your device than Hattons website.

To give an example of that. I use a desktop PC and a laptop to communicate with RMWeb.  Both are Win8.1. Both have the same version of Google Chrome and Internet Explorer.  Are they the same?

On the laptop I can upload and add pics in Chrome, but not in Explorer.  On the desktop I can upload in Explorer but not in Chrome, which additionally won't let me use Bold text etc.

All the very best

Les

I always use the Hattons website not the ehattons and have never had any problems.  Why everyone is drawn to the ehattons site which seems far more cluttered and harder to navigate is beyond me.  Is there something you can do on it that you can't on the normal site?

You can break things down into categories and by era. On Hattons all locos (diesel & steam), emus etc...are lumped togther. I have to trawl through to find what I want which may be on the last page. You ca also choose not to look at pre-owned items.  Each item gives you more info also. Hattons refers you to ehattons for that info. 

Edited by thebritfarmer

Another trip to Hattons yesterday. I wanted a few wagons so used their "Chat now" device on the web page to see if they were in shop stock. I received an instant reply to say some were not in stock in the shop, but were in the warehouse so I ordered on line and paid for delivery to shop. This was Tuesday pm. Wed lunchtime received a phone call that said items were now in shop awaiting collection, so off wife and we went. (me for Hattons, wife for the Chinese supermarket off the dock road !!).

I wanted to look at the "tat" cabinets, and found a few cheap interesting items amid the tat. A recent Hornby CCT in blue for a tenner unboxed and a couple of Wrenn BR brake vans for £4 each. What surprised me was 3 very nice Tri-ang 4 wheel container wagons, the one with 3 small limestone containers. Rare to find s/hand, even rarer to find 3 of em for £4 each. I have a small rake of these distinctive wagons now. A few other things interested me but I'd spent enough.

Shop stock on new items these days seems sometimes small so check before visiting.

Still a good shop with friendly helpful staff.

Brit15

Edited by APOLLO

Wing Yip?

Not Wing Yip - they have a really excellent store off Oldham Road Manchester.

The one in Liverpool is W H Lung,http://www.store-opening-times.co.uk/wh-lung-supermarket-Liverpool  Quite OK but not as good as Wing Yip.

For those wondering, most of the packaged foods sold in the above places are imported from Thailand, and is of consistent good quality.

Brit15

Edited by APOLLO

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Had three items cancelled by Hattons recently - Hornby Arriva Trains Wales Mk3's. Reason given "cancelled from production". However, these items were readily available elsewhere..... at a price very comparable to Hattons. I'll be posting my compliments to the alternate suppliers in a suitable thread.

I wonder if there are supply issues between Hattons and Hornby?

Hattons is often my first stop, but I will be searching beyond Hattons next time around...........

Cheers,

Mick

p.s I used Hattons long before tinterweb was around and used to love going into the Smithdown Road shop and seeing Norman easily recollect where any item was in the shop.

• Like 1

I had some very poor service from Hattons 2 weeks ago. Ordered a number of items that were all in stock which were delivered after 10 days and that was only i sent chaser emails asking where my order was. They fobbed me off with some rubbish that warehouse packing materials were causing an issue. They promised a shipping date which didnt happen, a second email from me promised that the order would be sent which they honoured. Needless to say that will be my last order from them. There are better more competitive retailers out there - one of them based in Bristol and another in Cornwall.

Had three items cancelled by Hattons recently - Hornby Arriva Trains Wales Mk3's. Reason given "cancelled from production". However, these items were readily available elsewhere..... at a price very comparable to Hattons. I'll be posting my compliments to the alternate suppliers in a suitable thread.

I wonder if there are supply issues between Hattons and Hornby?

Hattons is often my first stop, but I will be searching beyond Hattons next time around...........

Cheers,

Mick

p.s I used Hattons long before tinterweb was around and used to love going into the Smithdown Road shop and seeing Norman easily recollect where any item was in the shop.

Hi Mick

JDM models at settle have these in stock also they have a matching class 67 for £89

Andrew

Edited by drs37038

• RMweb Premium

They fobbed me off with some rubbish that warehouse packing materials were causing an issue

Do you know that to be "rubbish", are you making an assumption or will you agree at least that perhaps there really was an issue and they were being open and honest?  Which ever you choose to believe is to not better to at least get some response than none?

I had a similar experience as I had not received an email stating my item had been shipped. Contacted them on the website chat, very helpful, Said there was a problem in the warehouse and they were working to clear it as quickly as possible. took an extra 3 business days to receive my item. No problem at all, sometimes things happen beyond our control, I wasn't waiting for a kidney, it is just toy trains. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, everyone. Earlier this evening, I tried to order one of the D16/3's from ehattons website, and was unable to place the model into the cart in the usual way. I then discovered on phoning that this is, currently, a known problem. So, therefore, at the moment, you may have to try using the other website for that is what worked for me.

With regards,

Rob.

• 2 weeks later...

Visited Hattons again today, to pick up a couple of things ordered for collection in shop, and browse the cabinets.

Staff were as friendly as ever, but the telephone call staff (several) have just moved out of the shop to the warehouse in Widnes. They are revamping the shop, making the display area larger. These moves are the probable cause of mistakes / poor service etc recently reported by others. The guy I spoke to said that not all of the stuff on the website will be available in the shop, there are just too many items, so he advised to call first to check shop stock before visiting.

The "Tat" cabinets were full of goodies (and baddies !). I reckon the lower end of the "pre owned" stuff is here. I bagged a dozen useful wagons for £4 each, mainly minerals, a new Tri-ang "Trestrol", Hornby "Shark" brake van and a mint Bachman crimson suburban coach for £8. I found on the loco shelves an as new Tri-ang Hornby green Class 22, for £20 which ran well on the test track. It will do for round the back of the diesel depot (Didn't want to part with over £100 for a Dapol one !!).

As again an enjoyable sunny day out in the "Pool".

Brit15

I found on the loco shelves an as new Tri-ang Hornby green Class 22, for £20 which ran well on the test track. 

Brit15

I'm assuming you mean the D6100, which depending on which bits of the body you look at is either a Class 21 or a Class 29...but not a 22

Yes, it's a 21 D6100. I got em mixed up. Better still for me as they (21's) ran on the ECML down London way in their early life (which wasn't very long).

It's an ugly looking thing, though after a touch of oil on the gears / motor bearings it runs very smoothly and quietly.

Brit15

Just a quick post to praise Hattons once again. Ordered one of the absolute bargain class 128 DPUs late last week. Super quick delivery as always. One sandbox was missing and Hattons managed to find a replacement and send through within a day. I have to say, I have always found there service to be excellent despite the high volume of customers/orders they must have.

• Like 1

I love Hattons, and have been a regular customer for years, we've had a few small hick-ups along the way, but the friendly staff have always sorted out any problems. In recent times i have preferred asking for the Royal Mail SD1 (next day delivery before 1pm) service, for speed and peace of mind, but Royal Mail have made things more difficult both for trader and customer. We all know they have weight limits for price (fair enough), we all know RM won't accept any flammable liquids (fair enough, probably a security issue), but for the last few years have also now strictly specified size and shape of parcel. To help calculate whether a parcel will be accepted, Hattons have been using some computer formula that works out whether your stuff will pass through the RM's "eye of the needle". 

The other day i ordered six EFE buses (please don't tell anybody else, i am a train man) and had already worked out the total weight, which was well below the 1.8kg. goodies limit (for a packaged 2kg. parcel) and i reasoned that the contents should fit easily into a regular Hattons carton. On ordering by phone, computer said "no" to the member of staff, it didn't think six EFEs would fit into said carton for the basic £7 charge, i would have to pay £16 (!) for a larger carton. I elected to remove one EFE bus, and by magic, i was advised the charge had fallen back immediately to £7. The delivery arrived promptly the next morning, and surprise, surprise, there was enough spare room inside (after removing bubble pack) for another four or five EFEs! I still love Hattons, and they have my sympathy, they're stuck between a rock and a hard place (Royal Mail), understandably the computer app probably errs on the side of caution. It just goes to show how we are at the mercy of computers now, whereas years ago a human being would have looked at the parcel and said "it was near enough".

Cheers, Brian.

• Like 2

I've been buying from Hattons on and off for years. Great dealer. Ordered a Hornby P2 late Saturday afternoon around 5pm (for 55 quid yet - too good to pass up even though I don't yet have a layout for it!) and it's already here (noon Monday). Can't fault that...

Edited by tersono
  • Like 1

Astonished! Ordered a Bachmann 47 at 0720am Sunday, and it arrived before 11.00am today (Monday) here in Cardiff via Yodel.

At this rate, they'll be arriving before we order 'em!

I've often thought it would be easier if I just had my paycheck deposited directly into Hattons' bank account (well, half of it - the rest can go to the pub).

• Like 1