Hattons Model Railways of Widnes (formerly Liverpool).

tractor_37260

When visiting the store don't expect everything that is in stock to be available in store as they have a separate warehouse for the mail order side, they aim to have something of everything but if stocks are low or someone has been in and bought the existing shop stock you might find it will have to be delivered.

• RMweb Gold

For anyone ordering from abroad, the recently-offered DHL Express Priority service from Hattons is truly outstanding. I received NEXT DAY service (to California!) last week.. (The only catch is that it is a "signed-for" service, not always convenient as I'm away from home 4 days a week most weeks, and the nearest DHL depot is a 95 mile round trip..)

It's not much more than Shittylink, which takes anywhere from 3-6 weeks. And much cheaper than Royal Mail airmail.

Highly recommended!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

DHL are extremely fast.  However you pay for the service as well and it's significantly more than the "Standard" options for some items.  In some cases that might mean the advantage to non-EC purchasers of having no VAT to pay is wiped out and it becomes cost-effective to buy locally.

Not being home when a signed-for delivery is made has been discussed previously.  At least DHL (unlike some others if earlier posts are to be believed) operate in a reputable manner.  It can still require a long trek to collect from their depot however and in some cases time off work as well.  What if you can't drive?  Public transport simply doesn't exist in some places.

Edited by Gwiwer

• RMweb Gold

DHL are extremely fast.  However you pay for the service as well and it's significantly more than the "Standard" options for some items.  In some cases that might mean the advantage to non-EC purchasers of having no VAT to pay is wiped out and it becomes cost-effective to buy locally.

Not being home when a signed-for delivery is made has been discussed previously.  At least DHL (unlike some others if earlier posts are to be believed) operate in a reputable manner.  It can still require a long trek to collect from their depot however and in some cases time off work as well.  What if you can't drive?  Public transport simply doesn't exist in some places.

Rick -

I've found Hattons' DHL service to be significantly cheaper than the Royal Mail airmail option, especially if there is more than one item in the package. Even for a single (heavy) loco, it's cheaper. Obviously if the order is a single (or small number of) lighter items, RM Airmail is the way to go.

In the case of the Midland Pullman delivery (first time Hattons suggested the DHL service to me), DHL contacted me via email to ask when I wanted the package delivered - this way I could ensure I'd be home to sign for it. Unexpectedly good service.

City Link is cheaper, yes. However the service is unnervingly slow. The last items that I had delivered from Hattons via City Link took at least 6 weeks... by which time, without tracking details, you're left wondering if you need to re-order.

• RMweb Premium

The cost varies according to item and volumetric sizing.  The particular item I had via DHL was boxes of track.  The yard length of those places them outside the scope of some carriers and into a higher charging bracket with others including DHL.

Small beef with Hattons..

They have in general been excellent in their service over the years...

I would currently rate them an A minus

But with regard to Hornby's 2 Bil they left me hanging in outer space.

They failed to inform that they would be unable to fulfil the pre-order that was placed..

I only found out by contacting them after reading with some alarm about Hornby's short supply of the model.

So just in case anyone is still patiently waiting, you might well discover your order has been bumped to a June delivery and that no one has told you...

This is an area where they need to get their act together, pronto :)

Edited by Bill

• 2 weeks later...

On doing my usual inspection of what's new at Hattons today, I now find that there is a pop-up box in the bottom right-hand corner which says "Chat?". Now, I know I'm old and curmudgeonly, but why on earth would I want to "chat" with Hattons? If I have a query about a product, there is already an email facility, their stock levels are apparently real-time, so I can see if an item is in stock - so what am I going to be chatting about?

I tried this feature for the first time over the weekend and was very impressed. 'Spoke' to ('chatted' with?) Paul Hill who couldn't have been more helpful. The little 'chat now' tab popped up just as I was wondering about the longevity of one of the 'bargain' item's offer period. Thirty seconds later I was chatting (I'd call it 'messaging' based on other social network platforms including Skype!) with Paul and my query was answered very efficiently. It was quicker than picking up the phone, and more personal than firing emails back and forth. I'd certainly use it again if I had a query. If you are browsing the site anyway, its so quick and simple to use - recommended.

• Like 4

Having seen that the Bachmann G2a has been dropped from their list & catalogue this year I ordered one from Hattons yesterday at a great price, £69.  Much to my surprise & delight a knock on the door 5 mins ago and there it was, even through the snow & ice!

Now to dig out Taylors book and see if I'm brave enough [& it's possible] to retro it to an LNWR round boiler type!  :read:

Edited by Adams442T

• RMweb Gold

What's the physical store like to be in?

Used it a couple of times and found it a pleasant experience. If you want something out of the ordinary you can always phone in advance and they will make sure they have one in.

Last time I went I was after about 6 things, one they didn't have to hand they posted on free of charge and I got it 3 days later.

Following the comments above about DHL Express, I thought I would give it a go. My order was picked up by DHL on Friday and would have been delivered Monday here in Brisbane, but I was at work and so a card was left. Arranged new delivery for Wednesday and parcel duly arrived. Excellent service. The other good thing was the DHL delivery driver was the former Aus Post contractor who lost his business when he was undercut by another contractor (who are lousy), so I was pleased to see him again as he always gave very good service. Another reason for me to use DHL again.

Keith

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Just too add another dimension of excellence to Hatton's service, I called in a few weeks ago with a fist full of cash "as I was in the area", my intention just to have a look at one of those new Heljan 128's, only looking mind you, the cash in my fist was not too be spent  :wink_mini: , anyway I duly made my way to the counter and my resolved weakened some what "can I have one of those Heljan 128's in all over Rail Blue please ?", "certainly Sir" came the reply, we have 2 in stock, so like an eight year old kid I waited, and waited, and waited, whilst a couple of the sales lads ran around looking for the elusive 128, I noticed one sat in a box on a desk at the rear of the shop "WHAT about that one ?" I said pointing like a child who was not going to be refused his reward, "oh that one's faulty it's going back to Heljan", oh b*ll*cks I thought.

Anyway to cut a long story short, the Sale guy was very apologetic, and said the model will be dispatched from the warehouse asap postage Free Of Charge, so I trudged back to my vehicle and went home empty haded and minus £94.00 cash as well, but top stuff from Hatton's my model arrived next day with the Postman, post free.

So the staff there even extended themselves to help out this Customer, so well done Hatton's.

Edited by muddys-blues
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

So the staff there even extended themselves to help out this Customer, so well done Hatton's.

It's that magic word, which you have capitalised: Customer. I once read that shops do not make much money the first time they sell something to a person. It's the repeat orders, when that person becomes a regular Customer that generate the profits. Hattons obviously know this, and are doing their best to ensure those repeat orders.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Being a Peterborough dweller, I've often considered a day trip (by train of course) to Liverpool, is Hattons easy to get to?

Only ever driven there :stink: but it's on Smithdown Road in Wavertree, not much more than 10 minutes by bus from the city centre. 

Well worth a visit, as is the adjacent area of Penny Lane, made famous by a certain Merseybeat combo...

http://www.merseytravel.gov.uk/travelling-around/route-maps/Documents/Liverpool_MG_Low_Res.pdf

Being a Peterborough dweller, I've often considered a day trip (by train of course) to Liverpool, is Hattons easy to get to?

My only bit of advice would be is that from Liverpool City Centre, the 86 bus (Arriva) runs very frequently up Smithdown Road. Of course others do too, but it seems to be especially frequent. 

I think ten minutes is a little optimistic!

The bus stop is a short walk from the station leave by the exit close to platform nine, cross over at the lights look for a chinese buffet and the bus stops near there..

Yes the 86 is the most regular bus on that corridor, just ask for Penny Lane and its then a short walk back to the shop.

Ian

Yeah 24 mins is about right. on the way back the bus stop is just next to the small post office to the left as you come out of hattons.

if you are a Beatles fan look out for the bank (banker in a motor car) the Barbers (showing photographs of every head he's had the pleasure to know) and the shelter in the middile of the roundabout.

Across the road is ST Barnabas church where Paul was a choir boy and when his brother Mike got married in the church Paul was best man.

and a short walk away is Newcastle road where john lived for a while. and just about where you get off the bus used to be woolworths where Cynthia Lennon worked onthe perfume counter.

If your not a Beatles fan ignore all that and go straight to hattons and spend a fortune

• Like 7

Worth remembering that Hattons  main stock is  in their  despatch warehouse in  Widnes, so although I presume  that they keep  spome of  everything in the  warehouse, if there is  any specific item you are intending to be tempted with, it can be  reserved online for collection.

I live around 45mins ( theorectical )drive from there, but these days I  get  everything  sent by nest  day delivery,  its actually  cheaper than the  fuel cost!