Hattons Model Railways of Widnes (formerly Liverpool).

tractor_37260

I have had a similar experience, ordered an item which was in stock and it took them three days to dispatch it.

They tell me they like me and central trains but hate some geyser called stock 2007

Guys,

Wouldn't it be great for all businesses to be able to despatch same day.......but like the business I run, we try and despatch most items same day.....but when things get a bit busy, things have to be prioritised.  Like Hattons, it is not reasonable to fetch in more staff on busy days to cope with workloads.  So I don't think a 2 to 3 day despatch time is at all unreasonable.

Orders DO NOT come in at the same rate all of the time...wouldn't that be nice though.  The very nature of customer orders will go up and down on a daily basis.

I thought I would add an edit to my post.........I am NOT a Hattons fan, and only bought from them once, that being a Beyer Garratt, because only they sold them.  I am a supporter of my local model shops, preferring to pay a bit more to support them.

Edited by 250BOB

I have just pre-ordered something from Hattons. I've never pre-ordered anything, anywhere, so I don't quite know how it works.

I've given them my address and card details but, unlike when ordering something that's in stock, it didn't ask for the security number on the back of the card. Do they send an email and you have to give them that when the goods are in stock, or do they still send it out and take the payment without the number?

• RMweb Premium

I have just pre-ordered something from Hattons. I've never pre-ordered anything, anywhere, so I don't quite know how it works.

I've given them my address and card details but, unlike when ordering something that's in stock, it didn't ask for the security number on the back of the card. Do they send an email and you have to give them that when the goods are in stock, or do they still send it out and take the payment without the number?

When ever I have placed a pre-order for a yet-to-arrive item my card is not charged because no sale has taken place.  The details are requested, perhaps to ensure you are (likely to be) a genuine customer. An email is sent confirming the order number and value.  When the item arrives into stock i receive a notification email then the picking. packing and despatch notifications but not usually any other request for card details.

You should check your emails for an order confirmation and perhaps use live chat to confirm all is well if you have any doubts.

Guys,

Wouldn't it be great for all businesses to be able to despatch same day.......but like the business I run, we try and despatch most items same day.....but when things get a bit busy, things have to be prioritised.  Like Hattons, it is not reasonable to fetch in more staff on busy days to cope with workloads.  So I don't think a 2 to 3 day despatch time is at all unreasonable.

Orders DO NOT come in at the same rate all of the time...wouldn't that be nice though.  The very nature of customer orders will go up and down on a daily basis.

I thought I would add an edit to my post.........I am NOT a Hattons fan, and only bought from them once, that being a Beyer Garratt, because only they sold them.  I am a supporter of my local model shops, preferring to pay a bit more to support them.

Does anyone remember the 'Dark Ages' when we had to send a cheque or postal order - and many adverts stated 'allow 28 days for delivery. ?
  • Like 3

Does anyone remember the 'Dark Ages' when we had to send a cheque or postal order - and many adverts stated 'allow 28 days for delivery. ?

What was the shop that always had a half page or full page in RM - was it something like W.G.Norris Model Railways?  There was something of an event about ordering from those traders back in the day, generally because it would involve parting with saved-up pocket money and having to do a justification to my mum who would then write and sign the cheque.  Also the lengthy lists of whitemetal loco kits including the eternally disappointing MTK!

In fact this was quite a painful process, so I rapidly learned to call into central Birmingham model shops at the relatively tender age (in today's terms) of 12 or 13, on my way home from school if there was some new release I had to have - not that these were especially frequent until the real advent of Airfix, Lima and Mainline in the mid seventies.

28 days for delivery?  If I remember correctly here in the states the standard time back in late 70s was "six to eight weeks" which seemed like an eternity when I made my very first mail order (which required Mom signing a check for me).  I still have the Atlas N scale hopper cars that finally arrived.  Good times.   :)

Edited by davefromacrossthepond
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Who buys Airfix locos and Lima coaches these days ?

Do modellers still use them, or is it for kids ?

Certain ones are great for painting yellow...........

And I'm waaaaaaaaaay beyond kid age.

Certain ones are great for painting yellow...........

And I'm waaaaaaaaaay beyond kid age.

And for conversion to things like emu translation vehicles, or cutting and shutting for various mk1 emus (though replica parts are probably better to some extent)

I have just changed my email account with Hattons as my old account is closing. It took me a couple of minutes to do this and Hattons sent me an email to my old account saying it is closed and another email to my new account. Well done Hattons.

It also took a couple of minutes to change my email account with my energy supplier but they have not sent me a confirmatory email. Neither has BT but it took me 20 minutes on an on line chat with an Indian gentleman to change my email account.

• Like 2

Once again. I have to thank Hattons for their excellent service and packaging.

Once again my package arrived in Country Western Australia quicker than orders from Melbourne / Sydney do and despite the airlines and various postal agencies best efforts to crush,kill and destroy. The generous box and substantial packaging ensured my Locomotive arrived in Excellent condition.

:good: :good: :good:

Edited by The Blue Streak
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have just changed my email account with Hattons as my old account is closing. It took me a couple of minutes to do this and Hattons sent me an email to my old account saying it is closed and another email to my new account. Well done Hattons.

It also took a couple of minutes to change my email account with my energy supplier but they have not sent me a confirmatory email. Neither has BT but it took me 20 minutes on an on line chat with an Indian gentleman to change my email account.

Another Orange user...???   What a nightmare.

Try and change your email with the likes of Amazon or Pay Pal if you want some real headaches.

Not only do Hattons send you information when an order is about to be processed, they also give you reminders that a model is due in several months time.

Very handy in the case of the Stanier Mogul, as I had completely forgotten about it as it was two layouts ago.

The only downside is you can see your order history from years ago and the amount spent can be a bit of a shock.

Bernard

• Like 1

Just wanted to say that I ordered an analogue power track & a short straight from Hatton's and took 4 days to deliver but to me totally acceptable and the service is quite good with updates.

One thing that did make me laugh was the size of the box and extensive bubble wrap packaging for 2 very lightweight items which could been put into a jiffy bag, the box was quite sizeable probably also used for those twin pack locomotives from Hornby or Bachmann.

The good thing is I'll keep it in case I decide to sell any locomotives I suppose.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Checking  back  on  some  of  my  recent  Hattons  invoices I  note  that  their  Prices  ( although still  competitive)  for  some  PECO  L&B 00-9  items  of  rolling  stock  have  increased  by £1!

No  doubt  in  anticipation  of  customer  orders  increasing  when  the   Heljan 2-6-2T  finally  arrives!

Mind  you  it is  quite  possible  like  myself  many  will  already  have  more  than  enough  L&B  rolling  stock accumulated  over  the last few  years!!!!

Edited by Stevelewis

• 1 month later...

Hattons have piublished their results (as they did this time last year).  Details are here https://www.insidermedia.com/insider/northwest/hattons-slips-into-the-red-during-transformational-year Indeed this is not much more than a belated write up of the accounts that have been at Companies House since April 6.

Headlines are £500k loss on £12m turnover. 

Bit Hornbyesque but interesting and hopefully a genuine one off.  Be interested to know what the written down stock is and whether it was move related or is an indication of the costs to retailers of manufacturers picking wrong uns.  Otherwise, staring at the accounts, I note the significant increase in stock held £2.9m->£3.6m, notwithstanding the write down, much of which is financed by trade creditors.  Hopefully a sign of a bigger business going forward.

...Be interested to know what the written down stock is and whether it was move related or is an indication of the costs to retailers of manufacturers picking wrong uns....

Reading that linked article I'd take a guess that it is a consequence of the unplanned complete move away from the previous location to Widnes:

"September 2015, the company relocated its contact centre to a site near Widnes as part of a longer term plan to improve its store on Smithdown Road. However, due to the condition of the building, this plan was subsequently revised and the business decided to relocate in its entirety. The Hattons store moved from Liverpool's Smithdown Road to Widnes in January 2016. Richard Davies, managing director of Hattons, told Insider: "The loss is mostly due to a revaluation of aged stock."

What happens when you move lock, stock and barrel is that you near inevitably discover 'stuff' and are forced to evaluate it to see whether it is worth the cost of moving and re-racking it at all. Do wonder how old some of that 'aged stock' might have been? It doesn't sound like it was reasonably recent productions to me.

Good news:

In general, we are trading up on 2015/16 revenue and indications for 2016/17 are that we will return to a more regular trading and profit profile."

Got all the pain over in 2015/16, return to business as usual.