Hornby restaurant coaches?

darren01

Hi

I am working on some southern Maunsell coach sets, and have looked at the Hornby range and they do not seem to make the restaurant coaches? Have they in the past made these?

Darren

Hornby have not made any restaurant vehicles to go with their Maunsell stock. However, you can assemble plenty of accurate formations without such vehicles. Otherwise, recourse to kits will be necessary.

• 3 years later...

Hornby have not made any restaurant vehicles to go with their Maunsell stock. However, you can assemble plenty of accurate formations without such vehicles. Otherwise, recourse to kits will be necessary.

Just came across this rather elderly thread and must confirm that Darren's not the only one hankering for a ready-to-run Maunsell Restaurant Car ..... are you listening, Hornby ?  Appropriate kits are available from Phoenix ( NOT the paint people - but the Southern Railways Group ) or you might find an old Ian Kirk kit if you're lucky ................ as a very good alternative and probably 100% authentic ( depending on your modelling period ) you can use what Hornby DO make in profusion - a Pullman Car ( most likely a Kitchen First ).

...... or you could be wholly accurate and paint an old Pullman car green ! ( thanks for reminding me of that option )

Presumably - asking just out of curiosity - not just any old Pullman car but one that has kitchen car facilities

Just came across this rather elderly thread and must confirm that Darren's not the only one hankering for a ready-to-run Maunsell Restaurant Car ..... are you listening, Hornby ?  Appropriate kits are available from Phoenix ( NOT the paint people - but the Southern Railways Group ) or you might find an old Ian Kirk kit if you're lucky ................ as a very good alternative and probably 100% authentic ( depending on your modelling period ) you can use what Hornby DO make in profusion - a Pullman Car ( most likely a Kitchen First ).

A Pullman shown here...

http://www.maltoni.co.uk/formations.html

• Like 1

Kitchen First Pullman on Bluebell for info.

http://www.bluebell-railway.co.uk/bluebell/pics/fingall.html

Presumably - asking just out of curiosity - not just any old Pullman car but one that has kitchen car facilities

Besides the former Hastings line Pullman cars, some of which were painted green and used mainly on Southampton boat trains,

The former Hadrian Bar ( I think that's right ) was also painted green, and used as a Bar car on the boat trains.

The Hornby ' Daffodil Bar ' is a reasonable donor to recreate this car. Luckily I purchased a damaged Hornby Bar car cheaply

for the repaint.

post-24481-0-89826000-1470158005_thumb.jpg

post-24481-0-12230400-1470158039.jpg

• Like 8

Well - probably holding my breath forever for a Hornby matching restaurant Maunsell.

I do think that by doing a restaurant car it could also boost sales of other matching stock and would also love to see matching restaurant cars for LMS and GWR coaches from Hornby as I am sure it would be a 'Win-win'!

Well - probably holding my breath forever for a Hornby matching restaurant Maunsell.

I do think that by doing a restaurant car it could also boost sales of other matching stock and would also love to see matching restaurant cars for LMS and GWR coaches from Hornby as I am sure it would be a 'Win-win'!

....... and the one you didn't mention, of course, is that the Southern Region had a handful of green-painted Gresley Buffet Cars ! ( Of course Hornby DO do a twelve-wheeled L.M.S. Restaurant car - but I don't think it's quite up to current standards ! )

I managed to model a Maunsell restaurant, by using Ian Kirk coach sides on a Hornby Maunsell donor coach. I was able to slice off the original coach sides with a hobby drill and finish by filing to the roof gutter. The Kirk coach sides glued in very well. I had to make up the tables, chairs and kitchen internal features from the Kirk parts and plasticard, but it does run well on its Hornby derived chassis. I also did the same with 2 Bulleid 57ft Kirk coach kits and have another couple to do when I can get round to it.

• Like 1

I managed to model a Maunsell restaurant, by using Ian Kirk coach sides on a Hornby Maunsell donor coach. I was able to slice off the original coach sides with a hobby drill and finish by filing to the roof gutter. The Kirk coach sides glued in very well. I had to make up the tables, chairs and kitchen internal features from the Kirk parts and plasticard, but it does run well on its Hornby derived chassis. I also did the same with 2 Bulleid 57ft Kirk coach kits and have another couple to do when I can get round to it.

Only real trouble with the Kirk sides is the understated turn-under ......... I stuck a strip of 40 thou Plastikard inside mine at the base then re-profiled 'til there was nothing of the original body left at the very bottom - also has the effect of pushing the lower edge out so that the top half of the side is no longer vertical ...... looks far better that way ! ( Gets complicated with the various different profiles on Restaurant Car / Open Third doors and Brake Van ends though ! ............ memo to self : Must have another go at Restriction 0 stock from Kirk sides. )

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold

.......... well, I really ought to finish my Kirk-based catering cars .................. Hornby have announced a Kitchen First today !

Have you managed to find any reference to it other than the bald statement? I couldn’t find an image in the Hornby listing.

• RMweb Gold

I don't know much about the kitchen cars but if like one, we're they just loose stock between sets?

On the West of England route they were typically attached/detached at Exeter Queen St/Central. Beyond there was limited demand for meals.

• RMweb Gold

Have you managed to find any reference to it other than the bald statement? I couldn’t find an image in the Hornby listing.

It's is shown as an outline drawing on the Hornby Website and on Graham Muz's blog where he states that it will be a Q4 release.

all the best

Godfrey

I don't know much about the kitchen cars but I'd like one, were they just loose stock between sets?

Edited several SwiftKey related typos.

Often paired with an open third and inserted between or within sets ......... there were specific open dining cars ( no kitchen ) but they weren't numerous so we probably won't see them from Hornby.