Hornby restaurant coaches?

darren01

:Our current tooling for the SR Maunsll R4816 restaurant coach  will not allow us to add lining to the product , unfortunately this will be sold un-lined

Imagine..."This is our new GWR King suitable for the 1920's and 30's, but the tooling does not allow us to add lining to the product....."     :O

After all the complaints about the smallest thing, you "experts" shoot yourselves in the foot by rushing out to buy coaches that should be lined out (Dynamometer Car and this one). 

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 1

I don't quite understand Hornby's explanation for only doing an unlined SR livery when they could have tooled up the tampo printing for a fully lined version , then to my mind simply omit that part of the tampo printing to produce an unlined version.  I would have purchased a lined version but unlined will look out of place in my mid 1930's layout so I will go without a restaurant car.

Cheers,

Chris

• RMweb Premium

Imagine..."This is our new GWR King suitable for the 1920's and 30's, but the tooling does not allow us to add lining to the product....."     :O

After all the complaints about the smallest thing, you "experts" shoot yourselves in the foot by rushing out to buy coaches that should be lined out (Dynamometer Car and this one). 

If you actually go back and read through this entire thread you would be awere that the "experts" in this case are right and you are wrong.

While naturally the initial batch (and maybe all) restarant cars got lined Olive, as the 1930s went on that lining was progressively reduced until it disappeared completely just before a certain O.V.S. Bulleid was appointed.

It has also been explained many times on this website that the Southern Railway were very economical as regards their painting programmes and preferred to patch paint / revarnish wherever possible as due to the costs involved.

Finally, thanks to a certain Mr Hitler, any intentions the Southern Railway may have had for a rapid change to Malachite (which seems an unlikely thing to do anyway given their careful attitude to money) lots of stuff got plain Olive or hung around in plain Olive right into BR days.

All the many "experts" (as you term them) have done is question Hornby's decision to go for this late 1930s timeframe and plain Olive rather than produce something that is a better match for the rest of their Maunsell liveried stock - which apart from the Dunkirk train pack, has all been released in the 1920s fully lined livery.

Edited by phil-b259
  • Like 1

All of the Maunsell corridor stock Hornby have produced so far, have had the panel joins omitted

( with the exception of the push-pull set ). Therefore the sides are completely smooth for Tampo printing.

The new restaurant cars have the panel joins correctly modelled, so maybe these prevent the lining

being successfully applied.

Only a thought.

• RMweb Gold

The Hornby model is based upon a photo in Mike King's bible on Southern Coaches. 7869 was snapped being returned from Eastleigh to Clapham Yard in March 1940. As such, it is a completely accurate rendition of the livery on that vehicle on that day. 

Mike King asserts that sets 445-8 might well have such a vehicle inserted, along with an open third, so Woodenhead is being correct in doing so. 

• RMweb Premium

All of the Maunsell corridor stock Hornby have produced so far, have had the panel joins omitted

( with the exception of the push-pull set ). Therefore the sides are completely smooth for Tampo printing.

The new restaurant cars have the panel joins correctly modelled, so maybe these prevent the lining

being successfully applied.

Only a thought.

Could be - if only Hornby would be more forthcoming with the specifics as to why exactly the tooling is 'unsuitable' for producing a lined variant

Could be - if only Hornby would be more forthcoming with the specifics as to why exactly the tooling is 'unsuitable' for producing a lined variant

It might be a price point issue - the costs go up if they have to line this particular coach.

Perhaps a coach pack will appear at some point where they can absorb the cost better than a £60 coach on it's own.

It might be a price point issue - the costs go up if they have to line this particular coach.

Perhaps a coach pack will appear at some point where they can absorb the cost better than a £60 coach on it's own.

It does'nt keep Hornby from producing new LNER teak coaches, from the price point view. And these going thrue a lot of tampo printing phases, for the price of 57,99.

I was exited when announced the SR restaurant but dissapointed there's no lined version on the moment.

Not useabale for the ACE of 1927-30, so hopefully Hornby will produce a fully lined one next year, could use a few for my 75+ Maunsell fully lined ones

Edited by Cor-onGRT4

If you actually go back and read through this entire thread you would be awere that the "experts" in this case are right and you are wrong. 

While naturally the initial batch (and maybe all) restarant cars got lined Olive, as the 1930s went on that lining was progressively reduced until it disappeared completely just before a certain O.V.S. Bulleid was appointed. 

It has also been explained many times on this website that the Southern Railway were very economical as regards their painting programmes and preferred to patch paint / revarnish wherever possible as due to the costs involved. "

Finally, thanks to a certain Mr Hitler, any intentions the Southern Railway may have had for a rapid change to Malachite (which seems an unlikely thing to do anyway given their careful attitude to money) lots of stuff got plain Olive or hung around in plain Olive right into BR days.

All the many "experts" (as you term them) have done is question Hornby's decision to go for this late 1930s timeframe and plain Olive rather than produce something that is a better match for the rest of their Maunsell liveried stock - which apart from the Dunkirk train pack, has all been released in the 1920s fully lined livery.

In the main, Hornby Maunsell fully lined out coaches are suitable for the 1920's and 1930's.  Add a completely unlined Dining Car to a train, and the date shoots to the end of the 1930's or even March 1940!  

• Like 1

Hattons have > 10 in stock at £47.99, so the sold out on pre-order means they had just sold out of models they were prepared to support at the pre-order price.

Pre-ordered and my car was shipped at pre-order price. I ordered the Hornby "BR" green as I understand the restaurant cars were quickly painted into Malachite in 1945-46 when returned to post war service. Means I will to have renumber and add the Southern Railway lettering. I will have to dig out the old sheet of HMRS transfers when it arrives and hope I still have that lettering.

Noting the Hornby comment of "Our current tooling .........." I have fingers crossed that future tooling will allow for an olive green lined version.

In the mean time I will purchase the unlined olive green Maunsell Restaurant Car as an insurance policy in case I am wrong.

Either way it is a lovely coach and shows that adding to an existing range can pay dividends for manufacturers.

I also live in hope of Hornby adding to their range of LMS Stanier coaches and GWR Collettes.

Edited by Opelsi

In the main, Hornby Maunsell fully lined out coaches are suitable for the 1920's and 1930's.  Add a completely unlined Dining Car to a train, and the date shoots to the end of the 1930's or even March 1940!  

Coach, you're good at lining, maybe you can line a few up for people (for a small wage of course). :)

Coach, you're good at lining, maybe you can line a few up for people (for a small wage of course). :)

Small wages dont put bread on't table I'm afraid.  :biggrin_mini2:   My very last painting & lining list is dated 2003 and painting & lining a SR coach in full panelled livery was £95.00 at the time. As built, the diners had the usual wood color window bolections and droplights. It is likely the bolections were painted green by the mid 1930's. 

Without photographic evidence, it is probably safe to assume the original full lining was carried until at least 1934 and maybe beyond. Assuming any of the cars were repainted around that date, it is likely they were given the same livery again. Some simplification was experimented with on newly built corridor coaches from 1935 but, without photographic evidence, we simply do not know how much of this was carried over onto repainted dining cars. 

A moulding is often a decorative treatment to cover each of the panel joins, which often gave further scope fr embellishment. A bolection is something vital, as it is a picture frame moulding fixed from the outside to hold the fixed window glass in position.