Hornby restaurant coaches?

darren01

• RMweb Gold

Looks like they are sold out at Rails as well.

Ordered mine a while back and the pre-order price was then £36.50 but now I see it's £41.99.  Does this mean they're taking pre-orders for a second batch?

Hatton's have them at £47.99 and I was going on the email that I received from Hornby the other day stating that they were that price but ofcourse a new batch and a price increase. :)

I'm not sure what Hattons are trying to say - at this moment the Southern one is shown as sold out and the BR one's available at £47.99 ...... both scheduled in September ! : can't be anything to do with a second batch that soon, surely !!?!

Do you have any pics Coach?

It is such a long time ago that I honestly don't know.  I think they were selling at their peak in the mid 1980's, as we tended to do production runs. All the negs are in the attic, a no-go area in the current heatwave. I have no knowledge of Maunsell green diners going over to unlined green. 

link now says £42.95

I'm just waiting for Rails to send me a money request for my preorder which for now still says £36.50 but we'll see. 

Interestingly I've just noticed my H2 preorder on my Rails account has vanished, easy enough to reorder, but curious. 

Edit: ordered another one then found my original order again, I don't fully understand Rails' new website... 

Edited by GreenGiraffe22

It is such a long time ago that I honestly don't know.  I think they were selling at their peak in the mid 1980's, as we tended to do production runs. All the negs are in the attic, a no-go area in the current heatwave. I have no knowledge of Maunsell green diners going over to unlined green. 

I have an official SR photo somewhere which shows a brand new restaurant car in fully lined out

in SR Olive, although in B&W the drop lights and side light mouldings are in natural / scumbled wood.

I am at a loss to understand why Hornby could not, apparently, produce lined out version. Cost maybe ?.

I have ordered the BR(S) version, which might arrive today.

I'm not sure what Hattons are trying to say - at this moment the Southern one is shown as sold out and the BR one's available at £47.99 ...... both scheduled in September ! : can't be anything to do with a second batch that soon, surely !!?!

.......... then less than three hours later they have 'more than 10' of each model in stock ...................... even allowing for the one they're posting to me !

Looks like they are sold out at Rails as well.

I've just checked that my order (at £36.50) is covered by the first batch and it is allocated so I am ok, 

Just need to sit tight and wait.

Edit: however I am grateful to Kernow who posted their arrival of stock on Facebook that prompted me to make an order yesterday at what is now a good low price.

Edited by woodenhead

• RMweb Gold

I have put the question about the lining to Hornby, got a reply today.

The answer :Our current tooling for the SR Maunsll R4816 restaurant coach  will not allow us to add lining to the product , unfortunately this will be sold un-lined

Hope this will help to solve the question.

I have an official SR photo somewhere which shows a brand new restaurant car in fully lined out

in SR Olive, although in B&W the drop lights and side light mouldings are in natural / scumbled wood.

I am at a loss to understand why Hornby could not, apparently, produce lined out version. Cost maybe ?.

I have ordered the BR(S) version, which might arrive today.

See quote above in reference to a lined version.